The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Waking up and remembering you’re the best team in the Country is the perfect way to start a Sunday. 😀

Yesterday's admin-

Title Countdown:
5 wins down/ 24 to go.
15 points down/ 77 to go.

Current PL unbeaten run:
P 2 W 2 F 5 A 1 CS: 1
2 Straight Wins.

Current unbeaten away PL run:
P 5 W 3 D 2 F 12 A 6 CS: 2
3 Straight Wins.

Funny game football. Bar ‘one of them’ against Forest that happens to every team, every season, your 2024/2025 gang of Reds have been perfect. 7 wins from 8 games. Sat top of the league. Joint 3rd most goals scored. Fewest conceded. Best GD. The terror of Old Trafford passed with ease in one of the most humiliating displays we’ve ever handed out to Utd. Massive Euro away won. Through the LC. All from a side transitioning to a slightly different style of play. Under a completely new regime for the first time in 10 seasons. You’d think you’d be ecstatic as a supporter of a club like that aye ? ….. And yet, early second half, a good friend who’s as long in the tooth doing this week in, week out all over the planet as I, noted that ‘Yanno’ there are times right now I could just get off. The Reds are still boss in moments. But this slow paced, side-to-side possession going nowhere stuff ….. It’s like being back under Rafa and Houllier. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it’s taking some getting used to again after Jurgen.’

And that right there is the crux of where he was coming from. Jurgen’s tenure spoiled us rotten with its thrill a minute, adrenaline pumped excitement.

Now, and this is no slight on Arne as, if anything, it’s the highest of coaching praise that he can turn around the style of our play to a far more measured, patient game SO quickly from what was drummed into them over the past 8 and a half years, we’ve returned to what 99% of football is. Where run-of-the-mill games at tough away grounds like Molineux have to be ground out. When you aren’t always on it, but you take what the opposition gives you and you just do that little bit better to gain all the points. I’ve been exceptionally fortunate to see my team lift 5 league titles in person. (****** COVID depriving me of a 6th the last time! 😡 Still, tragedies aside, my biggest regret in football but I digress …..). And for the majority of them, we had games like yesterday. Dire watches where we just did enough to find a way to win. That's football over 38 games the vast majority of the time. That's what separates the great sides from the merely good ones. That’s what wins you titles.

Carl wasn’t narking about yesterday’s watch. He wasn’t P at how ragged L’pool where at times against a Wolves side that weren’t much better. He was just noting the difference between passionate German madness that had your heart racing. And cerebral Dutch calm that pleases you in a different way. Both top class coaches in their own right. Both very similar. But different. He was made up with the win at the end and bouncing out of the ground letting everyone know where we sit in the table and how boss we are. It’s just going to take some time readjusting and re-educating ourselves returning to ‘normal’ football after being SO spoiled under Klopp.

Can I just note how utterly P poor Anthony Taylor was again yesterday. It’s not even a Manchester thing with him. He’s just a rank bad official. The cheating/ play acting from the Wolves # 5 in particular was a disgrace. The irony of Wolves singing ‘Premier League, Corrupt as F!’ was highly amusing when he finally, and rightfully, punished them. But man alive that man can ruin a game of football without even trying. Of all the current officiating ineptness, he’s on a level all of his own.

On a personnel note, shout out to Wolves, like Ipswich and Milan, for a proper paper ticket. That's fast becoming a long lost thing the more technology improves and everything goes on your ‘phone. And to the sensible security of the Hogs Head boozer we always go, which has madly gone to ‘home fans only’ the past few years, for quickly ascertaining we just wanted a good few afternoon bevvies and would be no hassle to anyone. ‘Just keep a low profile boys’ is advice not needed in there. But an easy access was very appreciated . Why can't other places be as sensible?

Molineux is rarely straightforward. Not least when you aren’t fully at it. But L’pool yet again stood up to the battle, dug in, and found a way. Managing the game out really well after stopping the Wolves momentum instantly following the farcical equaliser. Another tricky test passed and crossed off for Slot as he learns about the intensity of this relentless league that's like no other in World football.

Winning ugly in context when the game gives you that. It’s what title winning sides do.

*Sings …..

Lib’pool, Top the League. Lib’pool, Lib’pool TOP the league!’

UTR
!

Last edited:
Back