The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Yeah standard chartereds in on the act now.

FML moment for John Henry.
This is why a few weeks back I was saying Liverpool should just take it on the chin, regardless of how they felt. It was a no win situation, and further entanglement could only hurt the club, and it did. now they can focus on the fight for 4th

People have to understand that in places like Uruguay and Argentina (not sure about Chile though), the culture is leaned on saying racist comments due to the scarcity of black people. When I went to Argentina I only saw 1 black person in Buenos Aires.

They are mostly white Caucasians of European descendants. You rarely see a black person in said places.

About Luis Suarez, it is true he comes from that culture but he should have learned better while he played in Ajax as there are lots of black people in that club. In Liverpool you have Glen Johnson but thats about it.

Negro isn't as bad a word as n*gger is in English. It may mean the same thing but in Latin American countries it is just used as a description or a pseudo-insult/comment.

Suarez's "racist" remark was probably out of frustration on the field. Evra shouldn't have complained and the media shouldn't have blown it out of proportion, and Suarez probably should have justified himself the same way I am justifying his use of the racist remark.

People have to understand that in places like Uruguay and Argentina (not sure about Chile though), the culture is leaned on saying racist comments due to the scarcity of black people. When I went to Argentina I only saw 1 black person in Buenos Aires.

They are mostly white Caucasians of European descendants. You rarely see a black person in said places.

About Luis Suarez, it is true he comes from that culture but he should have learned better while he played in Ajax as there are lots of black people in that club. In Liverpool you have Glen Johnson but thats about it.

Negro isn't as bad a word as n*gger is in English. It may mean the same thing but in Latin American countries it is just used as a description or a pseudo-insult/comment.

Suarez's "racist" remark was probably out of frustration on the field. Evra shouldn't have complained and the media shouldn't have blown it out of proportion, and Suarez probably should have justified himself the same way I am justifying his use of the racist remark.
that kind of comment is like 4 months too late :S don't know why you're saying these kind of things now. Bottom line is Suarez was found guilty, lets try and get passed it

Several months too late and misses the point.

Liverpool's £20m-a-year shirt sponsor, Standard Chartered, has become the club's first corporate partner to express public concern over Luis Suárez's dispute with Patrice Evra, having taken its fears directly to Anfield officials following Saturday's controversy at Old Trafford.
Suárez and Kenny Dalglish issued apologies on Sunday for, respectively, refusing to shake Evra's hand before kick-off against Manchester United and angrily absolving the striker of blame for flashpoints during Liverpool's 2-1 defeat. Ian Ayre, the Liverpool managing director, also issued a statement that condemned Suárez for misleading the club over his intentions to shake the hand of the player he racially abused at Anfield in October.
Liverpool's contrite response was welcomed by United and was made with the backing of the club's American owners, Fenway Sports Group. But officials at Anfield on Sunday were also involved in what a source close to their shirt sponsors described as "a very robust conversation" with representatives of Standard Chartered as the wider impact of Suárez's actions was made clear.
Standard Chartered, which is based in London but operates mostly in Asia, and also has staff in Africa and the Middle East, is in the second season of a four-year, £80m sponsorship deal with Liverpool and believes the club's handling of the controversy could impact on its own reputation. The depth of its concerns were illustrated by the decision to release a statement after those from Suárez, Ayre and Dalglish. "We were very disappointed by Saturday's incident and have discussed our concerns with the club," it read.
Liverpool's response to events at Old Trafford was taken independently of the exchange with Standard Chartered. "Ian Ayre kept Standard Chartered fully informed of developments over the course of the weekend. The actions the club decided to take were supported by Standard Chartered," said a club statement.
But the bank's reservations could signal another problem for Liverpool, with the company a potential sponsor for the naming rights package required to build a new stadium on Stanley Park. FSG has yet to announce a final decision on whether to proceed with a new development or to redevelop Anfield.
Suárez is still facing the prospect of a club fine for his behaviour at Old Trafford, action that can be taken only if he is found to be in breach of contract. The Football Association, however, will not be taking any measures against Suárez, Evra, Liverpool or United for the various incidents that occurred before, during and after the game.
No charge could have been brought against the Liverpool striker for refusing the handshake and the referee Phil Dowd dealt with Evra's provocative celebrations in front of Suárez at the time. The match official's report to the FA also states that neither club should be punished for a confrontation that occurred between rival players in the tunnel at half-time on Saturday.
Liverpool's principal owner, John W Henry, and chairman, Tom Werner, are scheduled to visit Merseyside next week as part of a working visit in the buildup to the Carling Cup final against Cardiff City at Wembley. They may, however, bring forward those plans given the fallout to Suárez's behaviour against United.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/13/liverpool-luis-suarez-standard-chartered?CMP=twt_gu

When did the sponsorship transition between Carlsberg and Standard Chartered take place and which was better?

When did the sponsorship transition between Carlsberg and Standard Chartered take place and which was better?

Last season was the first season with it. Was most likely changed because of a better offer from them then carlsberg and the fact that children sized kits can't have alcohol advertised on them since the premier league brought in new rules.

Sky Sports Breaking News:
FA charge and find Luis Suarez guilty of the murder of Whitney Houston,
There were no witnesses or evidence, but Patrice Evra said...
'he probably did it!'

Just had to post it, Made me laugh haha

Several months too late and misses the point.

Not only that - His opening sentence is pretty offensive.

Not all countries in South America are the same (Argentina != Uruguay). 45,000,000 people are now deemed as racists because you only saw one black person when you went for a visit.

While Argentina do only have a small percentage of black people places like Uruguay & Brazil have a higher percentage of black people than the UK and most countries in Europe. From what I've heard race is generally a non-issue in these places and things are much more integrated when compared to the UK.

Argentina has indeed a lower percentage of "native" (As in descendants of former slaves) black population, but there are several neighbourhoods in Buenos Aires with significant black population ("Once", for instance, has a large amount of black immigrants mostly working as salesmen or as prostitutes - yes I said that - while "Dock Sud" has a large black community of Cabo Verdeans who worked in shipping in the early 20th century). There's also the people living in slums who are of a darker complexity (But not necessarily of African descent, many of them are descendants of indigenous tribes from all over the country moving to the overcrowded capital) who are also labeled 'negros' in opposition to your average white guy. None of the aforementioned places are included in your average holiday trip to Buenos Aires, so it's easy to miss the fact that there's a significant 'colored' population.

Yes I went completely off topic but some years ago I did some research on this and felt compelled to post it.

Slightly more on topic, one of the most common insults on either side of the Rio de la Plata is 'negro de mierda', which roughly translates to '****** ******'. That said, the word negro, as previously (And by previously I mean months ago) pointed out, isn't always used as an insult, either. After all, one of my best friends is nicknamed 'el negro'. It all depends on the context.

And can we (Please) stop here? It's getting old and boring.

Sky Sports Breaking News:
FA charge and find Luis Suarez guilty of the murder of Whitney Houston,
There were no witnesses or evidence, but Patrice Evra said...
'he probably did it!'

Just had to post it, Made me laugh haha

Hahaha. I've seen a few of these jokes going 'round.

Not going to get into it, but the funny thing is its actually not far off the truth in the proper case! :P

Still we got him back now.. will only benefit LFC

Racism reigns everywhere, but also in Europe.

Example: when critics about Hollywood films "as we all know, the american industry has to make dumbed down films because otherwise their public wouldn't understand it". So, you see, americans are necessarily stupid. Oh, sure, that's no xenophobia. Very respectul. Or do we think that american = white = our race = can take criticism while other races are inferior and can't and that's why we accept that against americans but not against other races?. Either way, bullshit.

I think it's best to move on from this. Would be nice to talk about football for a change.

Brisk change of subject, where do Liverpool fans think they will finish?
I say 6th, below Chelsea (4th) and Arsenal (5th)

I'm still confident of 4th place,

with most of big games out the way after arsenal we have a very good run in, with arsenal and chelsea both having hard games against at least 3 of the other teams in the top 6

if we can stay close to both then it will be interesting when liverpool face chelsea at anfield in the penultimate game of the season! HUGE GAME

I'm still confident of 4th place,

with most of big games out the way after arsenal we have a very good run in, with arsenal and chelsea both having hard games against at least 3 of the other teams in the top 6

Except that your form against the 'poorer' sides has been pretty dire this season. Your failure to break them down will cost you your chance of 4th spot, much like it did last year with Spurs.

Except that your form against the 'poorer' sides has been pretty dire this season. Your failure to break them down will cost you your chance of 4th spot, much like it did last year with Spurs.

Agreed, on paper we have a very good chance still

Carroll has looked a little bit better, suarez is back and gerrard now has the opportunity to play alongside them..

hopefully we can get it, althought i still think it was a mistake not buying a striker/winger/ creative attacking player to break these teams down

but if you look at half those games, we have broke teams down, our finishing has been woeful, worst chance conversation in the league!

Racism reigns everywhere, but also in Europe.

Example: when critics about Hollywood films "as we all know, the american industry has to make dumbed down films because otherwise their public wouldn't understand it". So, you see, americans are necessarily stupid. Oh, sure, that's no xenophobia. Very respectul. Or do we think that american = white = our race = can take criticism while other races are inferior and can't and that's why we accept that against americans but not against other races?. Either way, bullshit.

The subject needs to change, but this is the most retarded argument to justify Suarez yet.

Back