The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
If we win the FA cup isn't that an automatic qualification for Champions League? We did win the Carling Cup and at least that got us a spot in the Europa Cup.

If we win both domestic cups but don't finish in the champs league, would you take it as being a successful season for us? I'd just about be happy, but I'd like others views on this. My Dad says giving how much we have spent, 4th place was an absolute minimum.

If we win both domestic cups but don't finish in the champs league, would you take it as being a successful season for us? I'd just about be happy, but I'd like others views on this. My Dad says giving how much we have spent, 4th place was an absolute minimum.

What's his views on how much we've lost since we last finished in the top 4?

What's his views on how much we've lost since we last finished in the top 4?

Lost in terms of what?

What's your view anyway? IF we win both cups and don't qualify for the champs league, is it a good season? Personally I think it will give us a springboard for next season, we really aren't as far away from challenging as the league table would suggest. We need two attacking players (who don't flop) to get back in a champs league spot. Clearly, a poacher, and maybe someone to offer something a bit more from the wings.

Said it before, say it again; Adam is an awful, awful player. We make subs too late to be effective. We need a system of play we stick to. Henderson shouldn't start, he's just too lethargic and offers too little.

Henderson offers alot more when he plays in the middle, Adam needs to be dropped to the bench! Missing Lucas also, no excuses though!

Said it before, say it again; Adam is an awful, awful player. We make subs too late to be effective. We need a system of play we stick to. Henderson shouldn't start, he's just too lethargic and offers too little.

To be honest, I cant see the board giving Kenny the same kind of money again.

To be honest, I cant see the board giving Kenny the same kind of money again.

I hope not to be honest. I could stomach it when we weren't doing so well, but spending no money. Now, we're spending money but doing no better. I just don't trust us to spend the money we have. Henderson will end up good, but right now, too young and lethargic. Adam is terrible, but only cost a few million, so we'll make a profit on him. Downing is ****, he won't be sold though, who in their right mind would want him. Carroll is just...well...

I hope not to be honest. I could stomach it when we weren't doing so well, but spending no money. Now, we're spending money but doing no better. I just don't trust us to spend the money we have. Henderson will end up good, but right now, too young and lethargic. Adam is terrible, but only cost a few million, so we'll make a profit on him. Downing is ****, he won't be sold though, who in their right mind would want him. Carroll is just...well...

Carroll was a panic buy, bought while injured at the last minute. If the thinking behind that deal was anything but panic, then someone needs to be shot. You were better of buying no one than buying him

Henderson, one for the future, but again not sure it was the right buy considering you needed quality now, (incidentally, i remember getting shouted down by liverpool fans over Aquilani, I think ive been vindicated on that point, should have treated him better and kept him, yes he picks up injuries, still a better player than Adam).

Downing has been a big disappointment, expected much more from him

Adam, not too much money, but wow he has plummeted.

We clearly miss Lucas in the middle dictating everything and Charlie Adam is simply not good enough to be starting week in-week out. Henderson is goig to be a very good player for us, as is Coates. Mladen Petric has stated he is leaving in the summer with his contract expiring so I think we should try to snap him up on a free as well as another striker within the £7 - £15 million range. Get the youth involved too, especially in Europe next season. Sterling, Suso and others are crying out for game time, but i do believe Sterling will be getting some soon as he has been in a few matchday squads, such as Arsenal.

Carroll was a panic buy, bought while injured at the last minute. If the thinking behind that deal was anything but panic, then someone needs to be shot. You were better of buying no one than buying him

Henderson, one for the future, but again not sure it was the right buy considering you needed quality now, (incidentally, i remember getting shouted down by liverpool fans over Aquilani, I think ive been vindicated on that point, should have treated him better and kept him, yes he picks up injuries, still a better player than Adam).

Downing has been a big disappointment, expected much more from him

Adam, not too much money, but wow he has plummeted.

I don't know about other liverpool fans but I defy you to find a quote from me not defending Aquilani and saying not to bother signing Adam as we already had him. Aqua even looked red hot pre-season before we loaned him out again... Would go as far as to say he was our best player pre season even.

Carroll, we ridiculously overpaid, that's a given. And Downing hasn't been even a third of the player he was for Villa or even Boro (in fact, I think he has steadily gone backward the older he has got). That said, you can see Kenny's reasoning - on paper - Downing is a great crosser of the ball. Carroll, on paper, is a great headerer of the ball, the idea being that stick the two together and you get goals and two players who are the greater sum of their parts. Well I've now learnt on paper counts for **** and the best part of 60 million ****** away.

Only thing that will save Kenny's job is the FA cup win, but I have to admit even then I'd be dubious about giving him more money to spend.

We clearly miss Lucas in the middle dictating everything and Charlie Adam is simply not good enough to be starting week in-week out. Henderson is goig to be a very good player for us, as is Coates. Mladen Petric has stated he is leaving in the summer with his contract expiring so I think we should try to snap him up on a free as well as another striker within the £7 - £15 million range. Get the youth involved too, especially in Europe next season. Sterling, Suso and others are crying out for game time, but i do believe Sterling will be getting some soon as he has been in a few matchday squads, such as Arsenal.

Petric sounds like a very typical Football Manager signing, IRL you would be signing a 31 year old who, at his peak, never managed above 19 league goals... playing in Switzerland. This season apart, his best in the Dutch league, notorious for high scoring centre forwards who don't exactly have a great transition rate for goals at our club (as much as I love them, Suarez, Kuyt were scoring for fun before making the moves) is only 12 goals. But hey, he is great on FM...

Sterling, as amazing as he sounds, is still going through puberty. Suso probably still has his voice breaking.

Maybe being harsh but I'm ever so slighty ****** off after today's result and normally see things rationally. I just thought after a cup final win and Sunderland getting thrashed in their last game then the result would be pretty obvious...

*Germany, I'm not going to delete that but ignore all the bollocks I've just spouted about the Dutch league. His goal record isn't great was the point I'm getting at.

Last edited:
To be honest, I still don't think Aquilani is right for us. Neither's Adam, but Aquilani, I think would have been only a slight improvement, if any, really.

you know what the gutting this is, we enquired for Llorente before we signed Carroll, but they would only do business in the summer, so instead of waiting until then, we signed someone who'd play only a hand full of games in that season anyway.

To be honest, I still don't think Aquilani is right for us. Neither's Adam, but Aquilani, I think would have been only a slight improvement, if any, really.

you know what the gutting this is, we enquired for Llorente before we signed Carroll, but they would only do business in the summer, so instead of waiting until then, we signed someone who'd play only a hand full of games in that season anyway.

Aquliani can keep the ball much much better than Adam

As been mentioned before, without Lucas Adam has suffered badly, being exposed with his lack of pace. Had he not been injured may have been different story. Personally I do think Adam is a good player, but without Lucas his shortcomings have become more exposed and open to scrutiny

Really hope Adam is sold. We will get a profit on him, he'd suit a sort of Sunderland esque club.

Would prefer Jonjo Shelvey in there instead of Adam, why not give him a chance? Couldn't do any worse.
Need a winger or two and someone like defoe.

Thing with Adam is, he looked amazing stats-wise when playing for Blackpool, so many goals and assists, but then you have to look at where they came from: Penalties, corners and free kicks + everything was played through him. Was always a signing that could go either way. I don't think he is as bad as some of you are making out (he's not the world's worst midfield player, is he to be fair). But I do think we've been spoilt with seeing years of Gerrard in his prime and just kind of expect him to be as good.

Adam is who is he and I agree with you all when you say his frailties are exposed without Lucas next to him... But he can't help that can he? He's a player who really needs an anchorman behind him rather than a midfielder next to him, and unfortunately the system and players we have just can't allow for that.

Back