The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
In my opinion people are too quick to shut people out as soon as they get past 30-32... He can still play a big part, How old is scholes and he is running things, not comparing directly but just using an example

@Jonas - Lucas, Henderson, Shelvey with Suso rotating .... sorry i disagree, that is a poor midfield

In my opinion people are too quick to shut people out as soon as they get past 30-32... He can still play a big part, How old is scholes and he is running things, not comparing directly but just using an example

@Jonas - Lucas, Henderson, Shelvey with Suso rotating .... sorry i disagree, that is a poor midfield

Scholes adapted his game hugely from attacking central mid to be a regista. Gerrard doesnt really have the adaptabilty or the discipline to do that. Wrong person to compare to. Nothing to do with his age, everything to do with his apparent lack of adaptation and his fitness problems.

Last edited:
Disagree but oh well. Bottom line is we have been awful, we need new players and not overpriced average ones

Scholes and Giggs changed and adapted their game with age. The questions are whether Gerrard can change, how Liverpool change their strategy to suit that, and if it's worth shifting the whole team around to accommodate one.

you're taking the **** outta LFC and you support Villa.. Nice,

...right. Where, exactly, have I taken the **** out of Liverpool?

Scholes and Giggs changed and adapted their game with age. The questions are whether Gerrard can change, how Liverpool change their strategy to suit that, and if it's worth shifting the whole team around to accommodate one.

I, like Mike. always had my doubts about Gerrard as a regista, and it seems they were well founded. He's still a monster at AMC, but as a CM, a disciplined regista retaining the ball and spreading the play from deep? No.

Scholes adapted his game hugely from attacking central mid to be a regista. Gerrard doesnt really have the adaptabilty or the discipline to do that. Wrong person to compare to. Nothing to with his age, everything to do with his apparently lack of adaptation and his fitness problems.

Don't even begin to compare Gerrard with Scholes. Pains me to say it, but Scholes is a much better central midfielder than Gerrard. Gerrard just doesn't have the tactical nouse to play central midfield. There was a reason why Rafa played him both behind the striker, and as a right winger, because he was far away from our own goal where giving possession away cheaply (something he does often) didn't matter as much.

& Also, without spending money, that is the best midfield we could have next year. We're in a transition phase, lets not let promising youngsters go to waste like we have done in the best. Give Shelvey, Suso etc a go.

Don't even begin to compare Gerrard with Scholes. Pains me to say it, but Scholes is a much better central midfielder than Gerrard. Gerrard just doesn't have the tactical nouse to play central midfield. There was a reason why Rafa played him both behind the striker, and as a right winger, because he was far away from our own goal where giving possession away cheaply (something he does often) didn't matter as much.

& Also, without spending money, that is the best midfield we could have next year. We're in a transition phase, lets not let promising youngsters go to waste like we have done in the best. Give Shelvey, Suso etc a go.

Quite simply then, we have that midfield.. we will be a mid table team, they are not good enough.... and pushing youngsters in because the first team arn't doing anything aint going to help either

Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
Lucas
Henderson New CM
Gerrard Suarez
New CF

Anyone think that team, if the new players were good enough, could challenge for the title?

Reina
Lucas
Henderson New CM
Gerrard Suarez
New CF

Anyone think that team, if the new players were good enough, could challenge for the title?

With a team that narrow you would be pulled apart by most sides, can't really see that working.

Reina
Lucas
Henderson New CM
Gerrard Suarez
New CF

Don't know, because a huge part of challenging for a title is squad depth and quality, rather than quality of the first team.

If you're judging it on pure first-team terms... no. Henderson is all right, but not stellar, and the new CF would have to be remarkably good. Also, Gerrard doesn't strike me as a right winger (and yes, I know he played as a RM before, but this is a different ball game).

he had the best season of his career in that position

As a right midfielder. The difference between a right midfielder and a right winger in today's terms is marked. For instance, Juan Mata is a capable left winger, but moving him to left mid would blunt him a lot.

Quite simply then, we have that midfield.. we will be a mid table team, they are not good enough.... and pushing youngsters in because the first team arn't doing anything aint going to help either

We're 8th? That I'd say is mid table so, how could it get any worse?

I don't think you quite understand that we're not a Top 4 club and we won't be for the foreseeable future as there's much better teams around than us. We're not even a top 6 club anymore.

You seem to think that this year is just a blip, and that with a couple more signings, we'll be ready to push back into the top 4, it just doesn't work like that. Unless we sell this summer, we won't have large amounts of money to spend. The fact of the matter is, Dalglish/Comolli or whoever it was got it wrong massively last summer and wasted large amounts of money. Also, we can't keep attracting players by turning round and saying "we're Liverpool, look at history, come join us". History counts for nothing if you're not going to be challenging for trophies each season, and the fact is, we're not going to be for a good few years.

I think you need to get realistic on just where we are at the moment.

Sorry Marshall but I agree with Jones in pretty much everything he is saying.
We have to be realistic. We have slipped up in the past 3 years and that has given other teams to climb above us in the pecking order. We are at best a top half team now. United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are all better than us as they have a stronger overall squad. We are only on a par with Newcastle and Sunderland. And the likes of Everton and Fulham arent far behing us.

Big changes need to be made in the Summer. We need to buy a proper CM and a ST. But we also need to strengthen our ranks on the wings. If rumours are to believed both Kuyt and Maxi will be sold at the end of the season. We also have to sort out management. The feel good factor of Kenny returning has long gone and the players now less motivated fail to perform miracles. Kenny was a great player and manager back in the day and sure he did well in his first 6 months but this season shows how out of his depth he is. We need to focus on our tactics more and not have our manager more interested in getting involved with public scandals. I am a realist and know things cant go on like this for much longer.

As regards youngsters. I would like to see them be given game time to develop and prove themselves. Robinson, Flannagan and Kelly have done well for the youth team and should be given their chance in a few games. Our problem is buying midfield talent and not giving them a chance. Suso, Shelvey, Txiera(sp) and Sterling are all great talents and they need to be given a chance. Realistically can they be much worse than some of our first teamers have been this season?

We're 8th? That I'd say is mid table so, how could it get any worse?

I don't think you quite understand that we're not a Top 4 club and we won't be for the foreseeable future as there's much better teams around than us. We're not even a top 6 club anymore.

You seem to think that this year is just a blip, and that with a couple more signings, we'll be ready to push back into the top 4, it just doesn't work like that. Unless we sell this summer, we won't have large amounts of money to spend. The fact of the matter is, Dalglish/Comolli or whoever it was got it wrong massively last summer and wasted large amounts of money. Also, we can't keep attracting players by turning round and saying "we're Liverpool, look at history, come join us". History counts for nothing if you're not going to be challenging for trophies each season, and the fact is, we're not going to be for a good few years.

I think you need to get realistic on just where we are at the moment.

I really cant be bothered to argue, all i can say is i disagree completely.

Last edited:
Back