The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Okay,

I believe people are getting carried away and joining the bandwagon of 'liverpool are in crisis' i genuinally believe we are not. We are not a top top team anymore, the title is not something we focus on anymore but top 4 is. We are still considered a top 6 club, the only way for newcastle to change that is if they consistantly do what they have done this season in the next 2-3 years, obviously only time will tell

We lack squad depth, the main reason we arn't doing very well, Lucas is massive to us and him being injured changed everything, We rely on Gerrard alot.. who has been injured and unfit alot too. Thats our two best midfield players, now were relying on new players and backups.

Ignoring the past month, The first 20-25 games of the season we looked pretty good, we moved the ball well, kept possesion well, created a ton on chances! but we lack that striker who can finish, as much as i like suarez.. he is not a natural finisher. Carroll is great in the right team, sadly liverpool is not it, hopefully it changes next season... Yes we did not win enough of these games we controlled but it still shows very good signs,

Downing although has only 1 assist all season in the league has the 4th most chances created in the league, nothing has been put away!

With one or two additions in key areas like CM and ST, we can challenge again for that top 4, its not that long ago when we won the carling cup, was there or there abouts for top 4( although outsiders ) .. and a bad run of form, infact awful run and everbody brands it a crisis

I also dont believe throwing a load of youth players in will help, yes its good to give them chances, but when the team are struggling its very hard for youngsters to make an impact, and confidence is everything to youngsters

I think people are to quick to panic, and im not being unrealistic, i know we are not what we used to be, but a top 4 finish is still the target for next season

But like i said, its my views i dont expect you to agree but you asked so i gave them

I'm glad you've argued your point in this, and I think some of the reaction has been over the top. Recent form has been abysmal and a mid table finish simply isn't good enough for Liverpool but there have been a few shining lights in an otherwise poor season. This summer is massive for Liverpool.

There have obviously been some massive transfer blunders, and the poor state of the club, as well as the need to remove deadwood, may make it difficult to strengthen massively in the summer. You can't rely on Gerrard's dynamism and Suarez' cunning to win games though, a quality strike partner needs to come in for the Uruguayan and they aren't east to find.

On balance, I think Liverpool will struggle to compete for a top 4 spot next season without some Pardew-esque astuteness in the transfer market and your recent track record isn't great, but let's wait and see what happens before shooting them down. Maybe Coates, Henderson et al will shown development over the summer and Gerrard will prove his fitness? Lucas has been missed, but realistically the squad won't be strong enough to cover injuries again next season unless the youngsters can make the step up.

Oh, and if Newcastle can keep all of their players, I think they'll finish above Liverpool next season reguardless of who Liverpool sign. Cabaye has only had one season in England, he can still improve and Cisse has had just a few months. Added to that, Ben Arfa has returned to find form again and Tiote, Coloccini and Krul remain as consistent as ever. They'll strengthen and go again, I'm certain of that.

Oh, and if Newcastle can keep all of their players, I think they'll finish above Liverpool next season reguardless of who Liverpool sign. Cabaye has only had one season in England, he can still improve and Cisse has had just a few months. Added to that, Ben Arfa has returned to find form again and Tiote, Coloccini and Krul remain as consistent as ever. They'll strengthen and go again, I'm certain of that.

Ridiculous.

Coloccini and Krul remain as consistent as ever.

In my opinion, Coloccini has been poor since he joined Newcastle and other than this season (I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement) Krul has been one of the worst GK's I've seen play at a top 10 club. Granted he is very young.

In my opinion, Coloccini has been poor since he joined Newcastle and other than this season (I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement) Krul has been one of the worst GK's I've seen play at a top 10 club. Granted he is very young.

Both have been brilliant this year, have you been watching this season? haha

Everyones entitled to an opinion. Some however, yours, may be better kept to themselves.

Lol? Krul has been one of the best keepers in the league this season, on consistency wise probably the best. Coloccini has been fantastic for Newcastle all season, it is the other CB position they need to strengthen if they wonna improve for next season. I honestly have no idea what you have been watching.

Apparently reading isn't your strong point...

If, however, reading was your strong point, you would notice I said 'other than this season'.

To elaborate, my judgement of Krul from the beginning of this season in non-existant as I have not seen enough of him to make a judgement. The same goes for Colocinni, I haven't watched him enough this season to make a judgement.

But what I am saying is, prior to this season, aforementioned players were poor, very poor infact.

Again, in my opinion.

Apparently reading isn't your strong point...

If, however, reading was your strong point, you would notice I said 'other than this season'.

To elaborate, my judgement of Krul from the beginning of this season in non-existant as I have not seen enough of him to make a judgement. The same goes for Colocinni, I haven't watched him enough this season to make a judgement.

But what I am saying is, prior to this season, aforementioned players were poor, very poor infact.

Again, in my opinion.

But how is this anyway related to Liverpool's problems?

Well i can promise you, this season they have been top quality for newcastle, key players for them

Because if they were that poor this season, LFC may have had a chance :D haha

Oh dear.

The conversation/debate was about Newcastle and if Liverpool could get near them or something like that.

Someone was making a summary of Newcastle's squad and I responded to them.

If I'm being honest, it has nothing to do with Liverpool nor their problems - maybe a little - but then to have to audacity to call me out on it when it was other people who were discussing Newcastle before me in just silly.

Please, have the virtue of never speaking to me again. Your opinion is irrelevant to me.

Oh dear.

The conversation/debate was about Newcastle and if Liverpool could get near them or something like that.

Someone was making a summary of Newcastle's squad and I responded to them.

If I'm being honest, it has nothing to do with Liverpool nor their problems - maybe a little - but then to have to audacity to call me out on it when it was other people who were discussing Newcastle before me in just silly.

Please, have the virtue of never speaking to me again. Your opinion is irrelevant to me.

Take that attitude somewhere else if you cant be civil

Take that attitude somewhere else if you cant be civil

A couple of the responses I received following my comment were far from civil. Yet you say nothing to them?

I also like how you would comment your little comment on a thread when there is a perfectly good private message feature for your use. Infact, said private message feature was probably made for such an occasion like this.

Downing although has only 1 assist all season in the league has the 4th most chances created in the league, nothing has been put away!

Wait, what? Where did that info come from? We're not talking about assists, so I'm going to assume it's key passes. If so, he's got 49 in the league, less than Juan Mata, David Silva and Gareth Bale.

And Luke Modric, Samir Nasri, Nani, Danny Murphy, Robin Van Persie, Mikel Arteta and Morten Gamst Pedersen.

And Joey Barton.

...and James Morrison, Leighton Baines, Stephane Sessegnon, Rafael Van der Vaart, Manu Adebayor, Liverpool's own Luis Suarez and Charlie Adam, and even Matt Jarvis. If we wanted to be fairer, we could do key passes per game... in which case he'd be 32nd in the league, behind such footballing masters as, er, Martin Petrov and level with Ryan Taylor.

EDIT: And hey, whilst we're here, he's not even that good at successful crosses per game. He's 22nd, lower than men with such devilish whipped crosses as Mark Gower, Jamie O'Hara and David Fox.

Last edited:
Wait, what? Where did that info come from? We're not talking about assists, so I'm going to assume it's key passes. If so, he's got 49 in the league, less than Juan Mata, David Silva and Gareth Bale.

And Luke Modric, Samir Nasri, Nani, Danny Murphy, Robin Van Persie, Mikel Arteta and Morten Gamst Pedersen.

And Joey Barton.

...and James Morrison, Leighton Baines, Stephane Sessegnon, Rafael Van der Vaart, Manu Adebayor, Liverpool's own Luis Suarez and Charlie Adam, and even Matt Jarvis. If we wanted to be fairer, we could do key passes per game... in which case he'd be 32nd in the league, behind such footballing masters as, er, Martin Petrov and level with Ryan Taylor.

EDIT: And hey, whilst we're here, he's not even that good at successful crosses per game. He's 22nd, lower than men with such devilish whipped crosses as Mark Gower, Jamie O'Hara and David Fox.

In all fairness Martin Petrov is a beast.

It was on sky sports news a few weeks back, when someone was analysing Liverpools Problems..

Not assists, Chances created.. and apparently Downing were 4th on that list, highlighted liverpools poor conversion rate

And Joey Barton.

And O'Hara is a centre mid lol!!!!

It was on sky sports news a few weeks back, when someone was analysing Liverpools Problems..

Not assists, Chances created.. and apparently Downing were 4th on that list, highlighted liverpools poor conversion rate

Chances created is a really, really woolly term. If we're looking at harder figures like key passes, he's pretty dire, as shown by what I said.

And O'Hara is a centre mid lol!!!!

Mark Gower's a defensive midfielder. It's pretty shocking. :p

Chances created is a really, really woolly term. If we're looking at harder figures like key passes, he's pretty dire, as shown by what I said.

May I inquire the difference between chances created and key passes?

Back