The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
A Warning For The Dalglish Loyalists

The majority of Liverpool fans still want Kenny Dalglish to continue as manager, but Paul Little warns that FSG may have other ideas. Just ask Terry Francona...

With just six games left in the Championship season, there are still plenty of teams in with a shout of promotion. Daniel Storey looks at who has a chance of making it...

Liverpool fans wondering how Fenway Sports Group are likely to see this season's developments should consider the fate of the fabled Boston Red Sox manager who finally broke the 86-year 'Curse of the Bambino'.

Up until 1918, the Red Sox were one of the most successful baseball franchises in the States, winning six World Series, including the inaugural competition. A year later, the club sold the great Babe Ruth - The Bambino - to the New York Yankees, who up to that point had been in the shadow of the Boston giants. This triggered a change in fortunes as the Yankees went on to dominate - collecting 25 World Series titles - while the Red Sox suffered a drought that spanned almost nine decades.

In 2002, a group led by John Henry and Tom Werner bought the club with the express aim of breaking the curse. Two years later, team manager Terry Francona realised the dream, before repeating the feat in 2007. But in 2011, Francona - seen by many as the greatest manager the Boston club has ever had - was ditched as the Sox failed to reach the play-offs after a dramatic collapse in form.

Francona's fall from grace, and the manner in which he was cut loose, should send a shiver down the spines of Dalglish loyalists. Despite having the third largest payroll in baseball ($161 million) and 15 former All Stars in his side, the Sox had missed out on the playoffs for the second consecutive season. Francona stood accused of becoming too close to his players - who had repaid the manager's affections by walking all over him as club discipline broke down. Moreover, John Henry was reported to have lost faith in Francona - surprisingly, the owner no longer shared his manager's passion for statistics and their application in the sport.

Publicly, the Red Sox owners tried to spin the sacking as a natural parting of ways - a line that the reporters rubbished. Initially, Francona appeared to be toeing the party line in his farewell press conference, citing his "inability to effectively reach the players" as being central to the termination of his involvement with the club, going on to suggest that they "may need to find a different voice to lead the team".

However, the baseball media suggested that the manager's final parting statement pointed the blame for his dismissal squarely at the Sox owners, and Henry in particular. "To be honest with you," said Francona, "I'm not sure how much support there was from ownership. You've got to be all-in on this job...it's got to be everybody together, and I was questioning that a little bit."

Following Francona's departure, Bob Hohler of the Boston Globe wrote: "The epic flop of 2011 had many faces: a lame-duck manager...whose team partly tuned him out; stars who failed to lead; players who turned lacklustre and self-interested; a general manager responsible for fruitless roster decisions; and owners who approved unrewarding free agent spending and missed some warning signs that their $161 million club was deteriorating." Does it sound familiar? Ominous even?

Many disgruntled Red Sox fans backed this view and accused Henry and co of being too distracted by their other interests - including Liverpool - to see what was happening under their noses. Publicly the owners have rejected this notion, but privately they have vowed never to allow such a collapse to happen again and to correct any lingering problems, spelling trouble for many of the club's well-paid stars.

Liverpool fans should be aware that FSG will be casting a similar critical eye on events at Anfield in the coming months. Given what happened towards the end of Francona's reign, they will be wary of any signs of a breakdown of discipline or suggestions that the manager no longer holds sway over his players. Dalglish would also do well to keep Damien Commolli on side - as a first choice Fenway pick and their 'moneyball' man, there's every likelihood that his position at Anfield is the safest.

However, if there is hope for Dalglish, it's that the owners kept faith with Francona for four seasons after he last won the World Series in 2007. There is perhaps some sentimentality behind the pragmatism, but how influential will Carling Cup success be in FSG's future plans?

****** me off how someone in modern football who backs the manager is labeled a loyalist nowadays but there are some decent points in there. Kenny needs to do some hard work this summer or he may not have long left.

He isnt great up top anyway, either you get the best from Carroll by truly supplying and trusting him, or you cut your losses and sell him

Newcastle match was the last straw, I want rid. Though, we won't sell this summer.
From now until May, I can't see a problem playing Carroll non-stop and seeing if he is actually capable of anything, now we have little to gain.

Id prefer Suarez with a CF role, in a 4-2-3-1 shape ... although we need a striker in front of him

Dare i say it, Torres would have been dreamy ;)

Suarez was bought with every intention of playing with Torres, and with him being used out wide (much like David Villa) or just behind Torres. Why they went and bought a big oaf instead of someone slightly similar to Torres I'll never know.

Suarez was bought with every intention of playing with Torres, and with him being used out wide (much like David Villa) or just behind Torres. Why they went and bought a big oaf instead of someone slightly similar to Torres I'll never know.

Blame Comolli for that. That hour long Torres interview, about things not being right and why he left? All true.

Not similar to Torres but Llorente would have been perfect.

Exactly my point. Give him a proper run and a show of confidence. If he doesnt begin to produce the goods just sell up(for a big loss). This could be what he needs. Either way our season is over. We cant get top 4 and were already in Europe. We have nothing to play for so why not. Even if Carroll does well we still need a "world class" finisher. Im not against Kenny but he seems to have lost control and his methods arent working. And I actually mentioned about FSG being ruthless a few weeks ago when things were starting to get tough. Think it may have been on RAWK but not sure about that.

Main point is, I highly doubt Dalglish will pick the team sheet next season unless theres a major turn around and he repairs his relationship with Comolli. And I doubt that will happen. We sure are in for a tense and nerve tingling summer

Torres was my Fave player, absolutely gutted he left!

im dreaming now but Xabi, Masch, Gerrard, Suarez, Torres... unstoppable! haha

If Kenny did get sacked, who would you target or try to get?

Young upcoming manager or experienced man..

Blame Comolli for that. That hour long Torres interview, about things not being right and why he left? All true.

Genuinely have no idea what you're on about. Sorry mate :/

Not similar to Torres but Llorente would have been perfect.

I think I'd **** if we were to sign Llorente, never going to happen, but I can dream.

I think I'd **** if we were to sign Llorente, never going to happen, but I can dream.

There was an hour long interview with Torres after he left, explaining why he did so and alluded to issues and things going on being the scenes. At the time it was widely derided by liverpool fans, but actually it was pretty accurate, will try and find it for you.

Here's a kicker for you, in January, we wanted to sign Llorente. We approached Athletic, but they would only sell in the summer, instead of waiting out, we signed Carroll instead.

Here's a kicker for you, in January, we wanted to sign Llorente. We approached Athletic, but they would only sell in the summer, instead of waiting out, we signed Carroll instead.

Like i was pointing out earlier, a lot of things wrong upstairs.

No Chance. and maybe, dunno if the players have the temprament for his approach to training though.

I'd prefer Bielsa to be honest. Experienced manager, without being too old that he wouldn't be here for the long term. Lovely football and results from Athletic, and hopefully, he'd place an emphasis on local players.

Jones, cant find the video, but there is the story.

Fernando Torres decided to leave Anfield well before transfer | Football | The Guardian

Fernando Torres has revealed he resolved to leave Liverpool long before his January transfer to Chelsea because the club were in "chaos". In a damning assessment, the striker said he could not reject a move to Stamford Bridge because the remaining six months of this season would have felt like three years at Anfield.

Torres hit out at the direction Liverpool have taken, describing them as a club no longer living up to their history and unable to compete with England's biggest teams. He said he had found greater togetherness in the Chelsea dressing room than at Anfield.
"[Leaving Liverpool] was a decision I had mulled over for a long time, even though it appeared to be taken very hastily," Torres said in an interview with the Spanish newspaper Marca. "I had made up my mind a long time before. In the summer in which Xabi Alonso left [2009] I started to wonder.
"I had the best three years of my career at Liverpool. I thought I was at the best club around, one that would win things with time.

But when Xabi and [Javier] Mascherano left, and before them [Peter] Crouch and [Alvaro] Arbeloa, when reinforcements didn't arrive, I started to wonder if Liverpool was the club its history suggests or if it was in fact a selling club.

"I knew I was an idol at the club but it was no longer the same. There was also the departure of [the manager Rafael] Benítez and the club was in chaos with the sale. There was so much said, so much talk about projects, but then nothing. It reminded me of Atlético Madrid: great history, lots of ideas but without money you need time. And I didn't have much of that."

Torres said that he had first tried to move in the summer but was told that he could not depart with Liverpool in the midst of a battle over ownership. "They told me they would not sell anyone and I turned down an offer from Chelsea in the summer," he said. "I understood Liverpool's reasons for not wanting to sell me, even though I knew I was letting an opportunity go by – one that might not come back again. [But] the club was not the same, it wasn't heading in the direction I thought it should head in and I could see that a change was needed.

"What other teams could I have gone to? I couldn't go to [Manchester] United out of respect for Liverpool. Or [Real] Madrid, because of my past. I don't think Barcelona needed anyone. I didn't like the idea of Italy. Chelsea were the only club left. There was only one option. In fact, I thought there were no options at all until Chelsea appeared out of nowhere [in January]. The idea was in my head before but it was a long way from being a reality.
"And then suddenly one day, 20 days before [the end of the transfer window], the opportunity appeared. I didn't expect it; it was like a light bulb coming on in a long, dark passageway. I thought that the six months left at Liverpool this season would feel like three years."

In a veiled criticism of Liverpool's handling of his move, he said: "I wanted to be honest. If others haven't been honest, that's not my problem. Football is not a sport populated by honest people. You can't tell the truth or be up front with people. It's a business and no one is friends. I was honest. I know [the transfer] wasn't [handled in] the best way but I was honest. If anyone used the press, it wasn't me. I was straight and I have a clear conscience."

He said he had no regrets at joining Chelsea. "We have an owner who will invest when it is necessary and I have been surprised by the atmosphere in the dressing room, considering there are so many stars. There is more of personal relationship and jokes between players than there was at Liverpool. There, it was much more serious. Here, you don't have to prove you are a professional. That's just taken as read."

The bold is referring to (failed) transfers and deals of the calibre mentioned by RTW.

There was an hour long interview with Torres after he left, explaining why he did so and alluded to issues and things going on being the scenes. At the time it was widely derided by liverpool fans, but actually it was pretty accurate, will try and find it for you.

Doesn't really surprise me. Comolli is an unwanted distraction in my opinion, the manager should pick the signings not someone who has very little impact on what actually happens on a Saturday afternoon.

Again, doesn't surprise me. I don't understand why we didn't just hold on to Torres till the summer.

You think? I know id **** if we signed him :P

Well Id like Bielsa or possibly AVB(he never had a chance at Chelsea and things didnt go his way). Other than that Mourinho should be leaving Real in the Summer and he could really transform us. But I think he wont join us even though he said before he would have liked to join us instead of Chelsea. He obviously thought a lot of the club then but now i dont think were in the right position

Does anyone else watch La Liga, Everytime i have watched bilbao they have looked poor..

Its okay doing it in big matches but they are not he same in the league

Back