The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
They play too few slide rule passes into his feet, and too few quality crosses, both of which he thrives on. Indeed the quality crosses have been coming from him!

Yeah, God help us all if they had somebody like Silva aswell in their team. Its also the kind of player we should be looking for on the right wing. Even though Downing has been atrocious we can give him a chance. If we had a quality right winger who could lob in decent crosses and through balls and a striker to finish them we could possibly be top4 contenders. But were never going to have the funds to do both this summer.

Next season we can hope for a top 6 finish providing we sign a quality goal scorer and re-establish ourselves as a team on the up again and then the season after we shoudl be looking for a more creative player who will give us more chances. Along with a few other minor replacements then we could be contenders for 4th. But thats providing the other teams dont improve much more. Liverpool are in for a tough couple of years by my reckoning and we just gotta stick with the team and lower our expectations.

This 'quality goalscorer' idea is great in practice, but really it's so hard to find one for under about £25 million who will view Liverpool as enough of a step up in order to make the effort to move that the pool of potential signings is tiny. Darren Bent is one possibility, though he'll likely cost £25 million at least. The likes of Fernando Llorente are unfeasible, especially considering one of the Spanish giants would probably come in for him if 'Pool made a move. Even Demba Ba is very unlikely, considering his status at Newcastle and the fact that they're actually doing better than Liverpool are.

Perhaps Olivier Giroud? He's been stellar this season, but there are two caveats: one, Montpellier are top, currently beating PSG, and it's unlikely Giroud would want to leave for a top 4 battling side if they won the league and also a CL spot. Secondly, he's never shown this type of form before, and has never played in the Prem, so he's a risk. Maybe Seydou Doumbia, but again he's playing CL football, which Liverpool can't offer him. All in all, the only real person I can think of at the moment is Bent.

This 'quality goalscorer' idea is great in practice, but really it's so hard to find one for under about £25 million who will view Liverpool as enough of a step up in order to make the effort to move that the pool of potential signings is tiny. Darren Bent is one possibility, though he'll likely cost £25 million at least. The likes of Fernando Llorente are unfeasible, especially considering one of the Spanish giants would probably come in for him if 'Pool made a move. Even Demba Ba is very unlikely, considering his status at Newcastle and the fact that they're actually doing better than Liverpool are.

Perhaps Olivier Giroud? He's been stellar this season, but there are two caveats: one, Montpellier are top, currently beating PSG, and it's unlikely Giroud would want to leave for a top 4 battling side if they won the league and also a CL spot. Secondly, he's never shown this type of form before, and has never played in the Prem, so he's a risk. Maybe Seydou Doumbia, but again he's playing CL football, which Liverpool can't offer him. All in all, the only real person I can think of at the moment is Bent.

Bayern Munich have their eyes set on Giroud so Liverpool doesn't have a chance.

All in all, the only real person I can think of at the moment is Bent.

Im suprised you didnt mention Klaas Jan-Huntelaar or Lucas Podolski in all that. There 2 more players that fit the bill. But yeah, a quality striker will cost at least £20M. Thats why i said its going to be a long road before we can be considered a top 4 club again. We cant have a firesale and bring in 3 or 4 first teamers because the team will struggle to settle in then much like this year.

Im suprised you didnt mention Klaas Jan-Huntelaar or Lucas Podolski in all that. There 2 more players that fit the bill. But yeah, a quality striker will cost at least £20M. Thats why i said its going to be a long road before we can be considered a top 4 club again. We cant have a firesale and bring in 3 or 4 first teamers because the team will struggle to settle in then much like this year.

Please no.

Podolski is way too inconsistent and his attitude is awful, would love bent but for 25mil! Another overpriced English player

Wait, what? Where did that info come from? We're not talking about assists, so I'm going to assume it's key passes. If so, he's got 49 in the league, less than Juan Mata, David Silva and Gareth Bale.

And Luke Modric, Samir Nasri, Nani, Danny Murphy, Robin Van Persie, Mikel Arteta and Morten Gamst Pedersen.

And Joey Barton.

...and James Morrison, Leighton Baines, Stephane Sessegnon, Rafael Van der Vaart, Manu Adebayor, Liverpool's own Luis Suarez and Charlie Adam, and even Matt Jarvis. If we wanted to be fairer, we could do key passes per game... in which case he'd be 32nd in the league, behind such footballing masters as, er, Martin Petrov and level with Ryan Taylor.

EDIT: And hey, whilst we're here, he's not even that good at successful crosses per game. He's 22nd, lower than men with such devilish whipped crosses as Mark Gower, Jamie O'Hara and David Fox.

Although I'm a Liverpool fan, that was some fine stat-age to the face.

Ricky van Wolfsvinkel maybe? Even Mat Suarez fits. Steven Fletcher?

Suarez hit 50 goals in one season for Ajax didn't he? If he could get his finishing back to the level it was then and still is for Uruguay and Carroll hits a bit of form maybe we don't need a striker. Ideally we would sign one but signing one this season with only the europa league to offer would probably just end in us having another Carroll/Downing/Adam type signing.

Suarez becoming a big goalscorer again seems about as likely as oil erupting from underneath Fratton Park.

Suarez hit 50 goals in one season for Ajax didn't he? If he could get his finishing back to the level it was then and still is for Uruguay and Carroll hits a bit of form maybe we don't need a striker. Ideally we would sign one but signing one this season with only the europa league to offer would probably just end in us having another Carroll/Downing/Adam type signing.

49 actually :P

But that was the eredivision. The premier league isnt as easy. Look at the type of players who have hit over 30 league goals in recent times over there. Kezman, Alfonso Alves and Kuyt are 3 prime examples and neither ever reproduced anything similar since leaving Holland for England. I dont think Suarez would ever be a 20 goal a season striker as would be more suited to being out wide. Just like Kuyt

Not neccesarily. Look at Giuseppe Rossi from Villarreal. Villarreal are 17th in the Liga BBVA atm, and if we were after him... Well, he wouldn't have much to lose now, would he? But yes, it's gonna be hard to attract "bigger names" with only the Europa League. But it'll still be easier than with no Europe at all.

Also agree with Chokopop there. There are quality forwards out there at teams that could join us. Its not that we cant get the right players. We have just targeted the wrong ones.

Not neccesarily. Look at Giuseppe Rossi from Villarreal. Villarreal are 17th in the Liga BBVA atm, and if we were after him... Well, he wouldn't have much to lose now, would he? But yes, it's gonna be hard to attract "bigger names" with only the Europa League. But it'll still be easier than with no Europe at all.

Rossi wouldn't happen.

I wasn't saying that it would, I was using it as an example to get a point across.

Well, Villarreal were in the CL this season. There aren't many teams with a striker of Rossi's calibre who capitulate from being a CL side to relegation fodder.

Well, Villarreal were in the CL this season. There aren't many teams with a striker of Rossi's calibre who capitulate from being a CL side to relegation fodder.

Calling Liverpool "relegation fodder" is just pure stupidity. Sure, we might not be at our best at the moment, but we're 8th. Not 18th.

Calling Liverpool "relegation fodder" is just pure stupidity. Sure, we might not be at our best at the moment, but we're 8th. Not 18th.

Not sure how you got me calling Liverpool relegation fodder out of that.

Back