The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I'd prefer Bielsa to be honest. Experienced manager, without being too old that he wouldn't be here for the long term. Lovely football and results from Athletic, and hopefully, he'd place an emphasis on local players.

If the players are fully ready to take on how he works, he is excellent, been following him since 2001. Bizarre, and a little sad that the english press is only just taking notice, simply because he beat United. Been excellent for at least a decade.

Jones, cant find the video, but there is the story.

Fernando Torres decided to leave Anfield well before transfer | Football | The Guardian

Fernando Torres has revealed he resolved to leave Liverpool long before his January transfer to Chelsea because the club were in "chaos". In a damning assessment, the striker said he could not reject a move to Stamford Bridge because the remaining six months of this season would have felt like three years at Anfield.

Torres hit out at the direction Liverpool have taken, describing them as a club no longer living up to their history and unable to compete with England's biggest teams. He said he had found greater togetherness in the Chelsea dressing room than at Anfield.
"[Leaving Liverpool] was a decision I had mulled over for a long time, even though it appeared to be taken very hastily," Torres said in an interview with the Spanish newspaper Marca. "I had made up my mind a long time before. In the summer in which Xabi Alonso left [2009] I started to wonder.
"I had the best three years of my career at Liverpool. I thought I was at the best club around, one that would win things with time.

But when Xabi and [Javier] Mascherano left, and before them [Peter] Crouch and [Alvaro] Arbeloa, when reinforcements didn't arrive, I started to wonder if Liverpool was the club its history suggests or if it was in fact a selling club.

"I knew I was an idol at the club but it was no longer the same. There was also the departure of [the manager Rafael] Benítez and the club was in chaos with the sale. There was so much said, so much talk about projects, but then nothing. It reminded me of Atlético Madrid: great history, lots of ideas but without money you need time. And I didn't have much of that."

Torres said that he had first tried to move in the summer but was told that he could not depart with Liverpool in the midst of a battle over ownership. "They told me they would not sell anyone and I turned down an offer from Chelsea in the summer," he said. "I understood Liverpool's reasons for not wanting to sell me, even though I knew I was letting an opportunity go by – one that might not come back again. [But] the club was not the same, it wasn't heading in the direction I thought it should head in and I could see that a change was needed.

"What other teams could I have gone to? I couldn't go to [Manchester] United out of respect for Liverpool. Or [Real] Madrid, because of my past. I don't think Barcelona needed anyone. I didn't like the idea of Italy. Chelsea were the only club left. There was only one option. In fact, I thought there were no options at all until Chelsea appeared out of nowhere [in January]. The idea was in my head before but it was a long way from being a reality.
"And then suddenly one day, 20 days before [the end of the transfer window], the opportunity appeared. I didn't expect it; it was like a light bulb coming on in a long, dark passageway. I thought that the six months left at Liverpool this season would feel like three years."

In a veiled criticism of Liverpool's handling of his move, he said: "I wanted to be honest. If others haven't been honest, that's not my problem. Football is not a sport populated by honest people. You can't tell the truth or be up front with people. It's a business and no one is friends. I was honest. I know [the transfer] wasn't [handled in] the best way but I was honest. If anyone used the press, it wasn't me. I was straight and I have a clear conscience."

He said he had no regrets at joining Chelsea. "We have an owner who will invest when it is necessary and I have been surprised by the atmosphere in the dressing room, considering there are so many stars. There is more of personal relationship and jokes between players than there was at Liverpool. There, it was much more serious. Here, you don't have to prove you are a professional. That's just taken as read."

The bold is referring to (failed) transfers and deals of the calibre mentioned by RTW.

What annoyed a lot of fellow fans, including myself, is that shortly before that - he committed himself to the club. Made no sense. But this debate is irregardless now, he's gone, and I'm happy he is.

Does anyone else watch La Liga, Everytime i have watched bilbao they have looked poor..

Its okay doing it in big matches but they are not he same in the league

They've put much more emphasis on the Europa League this year and it has certainly affected them domestically. Even so, they've been solid enough in La Liga.

Does anyone else watch La Liga, Everytime i have watched bilbao they have looked poor..

Its okay doing it in big matches but they are not he same in the league

On and off in the league atm, because of the europa league. its costing them. But then they dont care about the league because they are already in Europe next season, hes been resting players to be ready for the europa ties. He feels its very winnable.

How you can be happy Torres is gone is beyond me. World class striker who looked like he was finding his feet again for us under Dalglish.

I'd take a chance on AVB to be honest, much better fit for us than he was for Chelsea. Other than that, the usual candidates. Bielsa, Klopp etc etc.

How you can be happy Torres is gone is beyond me. World class striker who looked like he was finding his feet again for us under Dalglish.

I'd take a chance on AVB to be honest, much better fit for us than he was for Chelsea. Other than that, the usual candidates. Bielsa, Klopp etc etc.

Out of form striker with a poor attitude, not my cup of tea, though Carroll's no better.

Out of form striker with a poor attitude, not my cup of tea, though Carroll's no better.

This.
He was awful the season we sold him, he'd gotten a few goals, but he was very poor overall. Get got two against Wolves for Kenny, but he was still awful. 50 million for that, irregardless of his seasons prior was very good business. Just look how he's been for Chelsea in the last year. he's picking it up recently, but still.

Indeed, people would rather make him out to be the bad guy than realise that maybe the club holds a little fault here too. After, did the same with Meireles.

I dont think it matters who comes in until transfer dealings are taken out of Comolli's hands.

Indeed, people would rather make him out to be the bad guy than realise that maybe the club holds a little fault here too. After, did the same with Meireles.

I dont think it matters who comes in until transfer dealings are taken out of Comolli's hands.

Glad we sold him, too. Though, I just wish we replaced him with someone capable instead of Adam. Selling Raul was the correct move, buying Adam was not.

Shelvey <3

Don't like Comolli one bit, he's decent at getting rid of deadwood, but the lads he's signed have been poor on the whole.

Rather blame others than think the club ****** off their star player.

True, although, the American's like him, so I can't see that happening any time soon.

Glad we sold him, too. Though, I just wish we replaced him with someone capable instead of Adam. Selling Raul was the correct move, buying Adam was not.

Shelvey <3

We've sold the right players, but brought in replacements just as bad.

Tbh isf you look at the players gone out and players brought in over the past 5 years you really can see why we're doing so poor!

Not replaced the quality left, Been going downhill since Rafa! really did love that man! great manager

No, Comolli will stay. Of that I am 99% sure. He was headhunted by the club because they share the same philosophies about using player stats to determine targets. Most people forget that Torres was in freefall before he was sold. Sure hes better than Carroll but still not the player we need. I feel that Torres is burnt out and has already peaked out and past it(i may be wrong but just my opinion).

Adressing Mike here. I dont blame Torres for leaving one bit. He was sick of waiting around while the club was in transition. He seen great players leave the club like Xabi and Mascherano. We also had Crouch, Bellamy, Keane, Arbeloa leave the club who were quality players and never properly replaced. He knew deep down it would take a few years to recover and he didnt wait around. If anybody remembers his press conference when he joined he said he was looking forward to winning things.Who can blame the lad after 3 and a half years with no trophies and seeing the team declining. If i was in the same position I would have done the same thing.

No, Comolli will stay. Of that I am 99% sure. He was headhunted by the club because they share the same philosophies about using player stats to determine targets. Most people forget that Torres was in freefall before he was sold. Sure hes better than Carroll but still not the player we need. I feel that Torres is burnt out and has already peaked out and past it(i may be wrong but just my opinion).

Adressing Mike here. I dont blame Torres for leaving one bit. He was sick of waiting around while the club was in transition. He seen great players leave the club like Xabi and Mascherano. We also had Crouch, Bellamy, Keane, Arbeloa leave the club who were quality players and never properly replaced. He knew deep down it would take a few years to recover and he didnt wait around. If anybody remembers his press conference when he joined he said he was looking forward to winning things.Who can blame the lad after 3 and a half years with no trophies and seeing the team declining. If i was in the same position I would have done the same thing.

All of which he alluded to in his interview. I dont think he is burnt out, I do think he is a slightly different player, less of a pure predator, but a more rounded footballer, as noted by his assists. If Chelse can more away from their direct play and get some decent wide players, they have a pretty good near complete forward in Torres, no longer an excellent finisher, but a very good all round forward. He would be scoring hatfuls at United

Don't like Comolli one bit, he's decent at getting rid of deadwood, but the lads he's signed have been poor on the whole.

I am certainly unconvinced that Dalglish has what it takes for Liverpool to get back to where they want to be, but Comolli is not helping matters.

All of which he alluded to in his interview. I dont think he is burnt out, I do think he is a slightly different player, less of a pure predator, but a more rounded footballer, as noted by his assists. If Chelse can more away from their direct play and get some decent wide players, they have a pretty good near complete forward in Torres, no longer an excellent finisher, but a very good all round forward. He would be scoring hatfuls at United

Yeah his game has had to change. Maybe burnt out is a bit extreme but he no longer has the pace that set him apart before due to the injuries he has had to overcome. I would agree he is becomming a more complete player and that has affected his ability to be a poacher. And even though Chelsea were poor the other night Torres looked to link well with Mata a few times. Chelsea have lacked quality wide men and creative players and that can be part of the reason for his mediocre goalscoring record.

Shelvey <3

Im not saying they shouldnt have got rid of Merieles, just pointing out the manner in which they spun it. However, when you consider they replaced him with Adam, best off keeping him. Selling him is one thing, getting Adam was another. Though he has been poorer than I expected, even for a squad option.

Yeah his game has had to change. Maybe burnt out is a bit extreme but he no longer has the pace that set him apart before due to the injuries he has had to overcome. I would agree he is becomming a more complete player and that has affected his ability to be a poacher. And even though Chelsea were poor the other night Torres looked to link well with Mata a few times. Chelsea have lacked quality wide men and creative players and that can be part of the reason for his mediocre goalscoring record.

They play too few slide rule passes into his feet, and too few quality crosses, both of which he thrives on. Indeed the quality crosses have been coming from him!

Back