The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Not sure how you got me calling Liverpool relegation fodder out of that.

Aaah my bad... Read it wrong.

However, just because Villarreal have a great striker in Rossi, doesn't mean that the rest of the team is good. Not sure, as I don't watch Spanish football. However, my point was simply, that there are tons of decent strikers out there we could go for. But Kenny & Comolli are just targeting the wrong ones.

Aaah my bad... Read it wrong.

However, just because Villarreal have a great striker in Rossi, doesn't mean that the rest of the team is good. Not sure, as I don't watch Spanish football. However, my point was simply, that there are tons of decent strikers out there we could go for. But Kenny & Comolli are just targeting the wrong ones.

Decent strikers, yes. Of Rossi's ability, not really. And I was trying to emphasise that a player like Rossi at Villarreal is an exception.

Bent is probably one of the best options tbf, there's not a great deal out there who you'd envisage having sufficient interest and at a good price.

Decent strikers, yes. Of Rossi's ability, not really. And I was trying to emphasise that a player like Rossi at Villarreal is an exception.

Bent is probably one of the best options tbf, there's not a great deal out there who you'd envisage having sufficient interest and at a good price.

Well... Miracles have happened before. But you're probably right.

Bent is a decent striker, I can't say that I would mind him. But as we know Kenny & Comolli, they'll probably get someone like Akinfenwa from Northampton for £30m.

I never said we should get a world class striker. Yeah, Rossi was a bad example, but the only one I could think of atm. I'm just saying that if they are taking their time looking at targets, and not panic buying (I.e Carroll), we could get a decent player for a decent amount of money.

Im suprised you didnt mention Klaas Jan-Huntelaar or Lucas Podolski in all that. There 2 more players that fit the bill. But yeah, a quality striker will cost at least £20M. Thats why i said its going to be a long road before we can be considered a top 4 club again. We cant have a firesale and bring in 3 or 4 first teamers because the team will struggle to settle in then much like this year.

Good shout on Huntelaar, who I am becoming increasingly interested in due to recent performances, but it seems Podolski is set for l'****. Huntelaar would definitely cost you upwards of £20 mil, and again it's rather debatable whether he'd want to come, given Schalke are well-positioned to get into the CL again this year.

Ricky van Wolfsvinkel maybe? Even Mat Suarez fits. Steven Fletcher?

Van Wolfswinkel would be a slight risk, but could pay off big time. Matias Suarez? Hm. He's in a bit of a sub-standard league, but he is knocking them in. Steven Fletcher, much as I love him, is not a clinical striker. He's taken 58 shots to get 10 goals, which isn't bad, but it's hardly stellar either. It's worse than the likes of Danny Graham, Grant Holt, Javier Hernandez and even Frank Lampard, for example.

Laughable from TalkSport - claiming that Liverpool should sign Pedro, Cavani and Sessegnon. I'd love us to sign all three, but they won't happen.

Bit random, but do people think Newcastle have a stronger squad than Liverpool?

I personally dont think they do, we have been playing very poorly this year, they have been playing very well but the overall squad at newcastle is not that amazing

If we did a first 11 out of liverpool and newcastle im pretty sure LFC would dominate it

What do you think?

I personally dont think they do, we have been playing very poorly this year, they have been playing very well but the overall squad at newcastle is not that amazing

If we did a first 11 out of liverpool and newcastle im pretty sure LFC would dominate it

What do you think?

Maybe on paper, but football isn't played on paper. Newcastle are a far better team than Liverpool. Putting players into a 'first 11' does **** all.

What do you think?

Better squad? Probably not. Better first team, and more importantly first team that actually plays like a team? I think so. Even if we take a straight 4-4-1-1 matchup between the two with injuries ignored and their best players playing:

GK: It's close between Krul and Reina, so I'll call it a tie for now.
RB: Neither Danny Simpson nor Glen Johnson have been particularly stellar this season. Perhaps Johnson edging it.
RCB: Williamson vs Skrtel. Skrtel wins.
LCB: Coloccini vs Agger. Agger wins, just about.
LB: Enrique's better than Ryan Taylor.
RM: Ben Arfa versus Kuyt (I suppose). Ben Arfa wins it pretty clearly.
RCM: Tiote vs Lucas. Close. I'll call it a tie.
LCM: Cabaye vs Gerrard? I think Cabaye takes it, actually. Gerrard's a wonderful footballer, but doesn't convince at CM, and can't control a game like the Frenchman.
LM: Jonas and Downing... neither have been amazing, but I think Spiderman just about wins it.
CF: Ba vs Suarez. Well... tough to say. So I'm going for a tie.
ST: Papiss Cisse vs Carroll. Yeah. Cisse.

Out of those, I'd take Reina/Krul, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, Ben Arfa, Tiote/Lucas, Cabaye, Jonas, Ba/Suarez and Cisse. The three I couldn't decide on are because either they're so close in ability ('keepers and CMs) or because they each offer something different (Ba and the rabid ear-biter of Uruguay). I'd say you're pretty much even man for man, but the crucial thing is Newcastle have a much more balanced side, and moreover have the most precious commodity, goals, from two lethal forwards and a smattering from the midfield. Taking a man-for-man view of things is actually pretty worthless; it's how they play as a team that matters, and Newcastle are a better team.

EDIT: zoomed by CJ.

What do you think?

I will try, going by this season form only.

Reina

Simpson Coloccini Agger Enrique

Ben Arfa Tiote Cabaye Bellamy

Ba Cisse

I have gone for the players who have produced the goods rather than just promising. Could have added Ryan Taylor as LB it was close call, likewise for Reina and Krul. So I wouldn't say Liverpool would dominate.

Edit: Forgot Simpson who has done very well and consistently.

RCB: Williamson vs Skrtel. Skrtel wins.
LCB: Coloccini vs Agger. Agger wins, just about.

Agreed with most I dont agree with this method. For ex:
Skrtel Vs Coloccini - Coloccini Wins
Agger Vs Anyone - Agger wins

So its 1-1. For CBs and CMs this method is bit clumsy imo.

I'd have Krul over Reina and Taylor over Simpson. Newcastle don't have as much depth as Liverpool, but on this season's form you'd take Newcastle's squad over Liverpool's 10 times out of 10.

Agreed with most I dont agree with this method. For ex:
Skrtel Vs Coloccini - Coloccini Wins
Agger Vs Anyone - Agger wins

So its 1-1. For CBs and CMs this method is bit clumsy imo.

That's fair. Perhaps it's better if both CBs and CMs are compared as duos, in which case Liverpool still win in defence and Newcastle still win in midfield.

I was just wondering, on this seasons form yes newcatsle have been better but by saying they have a far better squad and first team i think is incorrect

They are playing with confidence and are playing like a team, but as an overall squad i would rather i have liverpools squad,

although it means nothing, just a little bit to talk about, my first team would be

Reina
Johnson - Agger - Skrtel - Enrique
Tiote - Lucas
Suarez - Gerrard - Ba
Cisse

I think Liverpools defence before injuries was one of the strongest in the league, the reason why i have gone with 5 players all from LFC

Agger vs Vidic - Vidic wins

I disagree, Agger when fit is top quality, could be at any team in the world, but his fitness is the problem

Vidic is great, but been made look a fool too many time by players with pace mostly, Torres the prime example

I disagree, Agger when fit is top quality, could be at any team in the world, but his fitness is the problem

Vidic is great, but been made look a fool too many time by players with pace mostly, Torres the prime example

Thats utter bollocks. Torres was better only few games and with Agger > anyone I meant Newcastle CBs. It was obvious with the topic on hand.

Vidic is on different level to Agger, dont even bother about it.

Thats utter bollocks. Torres was better only few games and with Agger > anyone I meant Newcastle CBs. It was obvious with the topic on hand.

Vidic is on different level to Agger, dont even bother about it.

Haha. Bollocks.

Back