The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Good preparation for the semi final. For some reason, I can only see us winning.

Even though you weren't happy that Webb was the referee? ;)

Either way I can see the outcome being decided in extra time. Barring anyone making stupid challenges or one player trying to get another sent off (not havin a go at Suarez btw-I've notice Drenthe and Jelavic doing it and I'm not a happy bunny-it's just embarassing tbh)

Lovely last minute header by Carroll! Had a poor game overall though, I really hope he steps up his performance very soon, otherwise he'll be offloaded faster than he can say "Liverpool".

Poor game! did you watch it at all, it was one of his best performances

Andy Carroll Stats:
Ground Duels Won: 14/18 - 78%
Aerial Duels Won: 9/10 - 90%
Shots: 2
Goals: 1
Chances Created: 1
He held up the ball brilliantly, rarely gave the ball away and did his bit defensively with some good headers aswell, He was up-front on his own for 60 minutes!

I have been one of the critics that say he cannot pass, move ETC but tonight he did very well imo

I honestly am baffled that you think he played poor..

Even though you weren't happy that Webb was the referee? ;)

Either way I can see the outcome being decided in extra time. Barring anyone making stupid challenges or one player trying to get another sent off (not havin a go at Suarez btw-I've notice Drenthe and Jelavic doing it and I'm not a happy bunny-it's just embarassing tbh)

Still :p

Honestly, it'd be just like our season, to absolutely stuff you lot at the weekend :p

Still :p

Honestly, it'd be just like our season, to absolutely stuff you lot at the weekend :p

If you "stuff" us (which I doubt as we'll have a fresh squad and more tactically aware manager) then I'll say fair play-we lost to the better team. However, if we lose to a decision caused by conning of referee I shall be ranting big time (and if one of our players did it I'd expect Liverpool fans to do the same).

But I genuinely do not see a stuffing of either side. All I want is a clean game without cheating from either side, and sensible refereeing. Something that has been devoid in football lately.

We didn't play great, just glad we got the win though.

Maxi - 12 starts, 6 goals.

One thing that really annoys me is how Kenny Dalglish conducts himself during interviews, especially after the match, he's rude and arrogant and he's embarrassing himself.

Oh, feel sorry for Doni - I understand that by the rules of the game, he has to be sent off, but what's he meant to do? Just let Hoilett run past him and score? He made a clear attempt to get the ball.

One thing that really annoys me is how Kenny Dalglish conducts himself during interviews, especially after the match, he's rude and arrogant and he's embarrassing himself.

Oh, feel sorry for Doni - I understand that by the rules of the game, he has to be sent off, but what's he meant to do? Just let Hoilett run past him and score? He made a clear attempt to get the ball.

Which is why I don't want Maxi starting :S

Glad someone acknowledges Dalglish's faults. Don't get me wrong. He is a legend of a player, and has been very good in management in the past, but for some reason he's just become really arrogant and dismissive at times. I know some Liverpool fans will hate what I just said as because obviously, I'm an Everton fan. But it's not a personal attack as I acknowledge what he's done in the past and I always hold him in high regard for what he's done. But he really does need to grow up a bit at times. If Moyes did the same thing, I would say the same. And people who I've discussed things with in the past will acknowledge, I'm always open and honest about our faults etc. It's just the way I see it as a footballing perspective.

But yeah. If Dalglish DOES NOT start Maxi....I will like him even more lol

I really don't see us winning with Brad Jones...

I'd give him a chance tbh. He's hardly had a sniff (as far as I know), and he may prove to be a very good backup keeper. He'll have something to prove so I'd give him a chance. It's not just down to him. It's also down to the players who have been inconsistent during the season too.

Carroll had a good game today IMO, quite apart from the goal. Definitely suited the more direct style Liverpool had to play once they were reduced to ten men. He doesn't appear to suit the style they like to play with the quick, intricate passing, but could maybe be a good option for a more direct approach against certain opposition.

I hear he's solid enough. Doubt he'll lose you the game.

Pretty much. It'll be us costing them the game. But Jones has in the past put in some very good performances for Middlesbrough. But like already mentioned, he's had a **** of a personal tragedy in his life, which in a way has taken an upturn lately though. Genuinally don't know how he kept himself together.

Last edited:
And before I get any pelters I don't troll...it's just banter. Just hoping for a good old fashioned classic, clean derby match

Last edited:
Okay lets be honest for a minute, we're definitely under-performing in the league, but if im honest i thought our performance against villa was quite impressive, we were so unlucky.

I think we ended up with 70% possession...

As well as over 20 goal attempts, hitting the post and the crossbar, also kuyt missing a sitter, and of course Shay Given having arguably having his best game of the season.. very unlucky, and i know that doesn't answer all the previous games we've lost but you are forgetting the state Liverpool was in a year and a half or so again, any manager would find it hard to turn such a prestigious club around in what a season? Especially when considering he's been out of management for over 10 years, and domestically, we've been a force.
I think we should all back Dalglish, at least until the end of the season..
And Carroll, at the time (when we signed him), he was getting England call ups, 21 years of age, performing really well for Newcastle, also scoring for England, of course we would want him, what club wouldn't? Ok, he's utter ***** now but we all know what he's capable of, he seems to be taking the **** out of the club for me.

Maybe Caroll's underperformance is due to him being forced to stop binge drinking?

Okay lets be honest for a minute, we're definitely under-performing in the league, but if im honest i thought our performance against villa was quite impressive, we were so unlucky.

Depends on what you count as impressive. You had 24 shots, 17 of which were off-target. Whether that's impressive or not is up for debate, especially when you take into account the fact that Villa are perilously close to the relegation zone, on a shocking run of form, and decimated by injury to the point where they played four full-backs. Not to mention they had to call up the likes of Enda Stevens, Derrick Williams, Samir Carruthers and Daniel Johnson to the bench or, in the case of Nathan Baker, the first 11.

As well as over 20 goal attempts, hitting the post and the crossbar, also kuyt missing a sitter, and of course Shay Given having arguably having his best game of the season..

If you think that was Given's performance of the season you dramatically underestimate just how diabolical Villa's defending has been at times this season.

very unlucky, and i know that doesn't answer all the previous games we've lost but you are forgetting the state Liverpool was in a year and a half or so again, any manager would find it hard to turn such a prestigious club around in what a season?

You create your own luck. If 'Pool could finish, perhaps there wouldn't be a need for luck.

So after spending a whole shedload of money, Dalglish has taken you from being a lower mid-table team with a shoddy style of play to an upper-mid table team with a decent style of play, and a trophy. Again, whether that is a good result or not is up for debate.

And Carroll, at the time (when we signed him), he was getting England call ups, 21 years of age, performing really well for Newcastle, also scoring for England, of course we would want him, what club wouldn't? Ok, he's utter ***** now but we all know what he's capable of, he seems to be taking the **** out of the club for me.

What club wouldn't? Well, I personally wouldn't want him at Villa, not if we had to spend £35 million on him.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'taking the **** out of the club', and I don't agree that he's 'utter ***** now'. He's gone through a rough patch, he's improving, and perhaps next season will be an opportunity for him to wipe his slate clean, if whoever's in charge hasn't given him the heave-ho by then, anyway.

Good to see Maxi back in the starting lineup. With the introduction of the only Liverpool player who can actually finish well on a consistent basis, it may well give them the extra edge they need.

Pathetic how you just let Maxi sit on the bench for so many games, he is one of your best if not your best player. Before I get the Gerrard fan boys having a go at me, no he is not your best player anymore, he is not the player he was and does not really offer anything to Liverpool anymore, just got to accept that.

Pathetic how you just let Maxi sit on the bench for so many games, he is one of your best if not your best player. Before I get the Gerrard fan boys having a go at me, no he is not your best player anymore, he is not the player he was and does not really offer anything to Liverpool anymore, just got to accept that.

Maxi is a very good player, and most of us fans have been questioning why he doesn't play as much as last season. Gerrard was quality against Villa and I'm sure he'll put in a top performance against Everton at Wembley. And yes, he does still have a lot to offer Liverpool.

I think he was avoiding certain questions today because he wants to appeal Doni's red card.. I'm not sure, but it seemed like it.

He seems to get defensive when people ask him questions that are not match-related, i.e Suarez and Carroll, but whatever, at least he actually attends his post/ pre-match interviews and does answer most questions.

Last edited:
One thing that Makes me laugh is people saying we spent the 2nd most since Dalglish has took over, but they forget we have sold the most by an absolute mile... We've only had a net spend of 36Million

When you have a radical turnover like this with key players going out and young unproven expensive players coming in surely it's not surprising where we are

Although I agree the signings were poor for the current season, I think they were brought to challenge in 2 or 3 seasons instead, we also have a very good youth academy

Rubbish. Yes he is not the best player anymore, but saying he offers nothing. Thats rediculous

He has still got an eye for a goal, proven since coming back, he lifts the team massively, and play him in his favoured CAM role not many teams can handle him.. Older and more injury prone, but has alot left to offer yet

Last edited:
One thing that Makes me laugh is people saying we spent the 2nd most since Dalglish has took over, but they forget we have sold the most by an absolute mile... We've only had a net spend of 36Million

When you have a radical turnover like this with key players going out and young unproven expensive players coming in surely it's not surprising where we are

Although I agree the signings were poor for the current season, I think they were brought to challenge in 2 or 3 seasons instead, we also have a very good youth academy

Rubbish. Yes he is not the best player anymore, but saying he offers nothing. Thats rediculous

He has still got an eye for a goal, proven since coming back, he lifts the team massively, and play him in his favoured CAM role not many teams can handle him.. Older and more injury prone, but has alot left to offer yet

Oh really, have the results improved since he has came back from injury this season? Nope they have not. They have got worse. I never expected Liverpool fans to agree to what I said, but saying he lifts the team when there is no reflection of this from the results is "rubbish" as you said about my opinion. Gerrard scores a good goal in about 10 games, that does not merit him a place at all.

Just some quick stats for you about "Gerrard" and his so called massive influence:

When Gerrard has not started this season, Liverpool have won 48% of games played; when he has started, that drops to 9%.

In the 11 games Gerrard has started, Liverpool have scored an average of 1.00 goal per game while conceding 1.36; without him it is goals for 1.24, goals against 0.90. They have taken 1.67 points per game without him, just 0.73 with. Project that over a season: without Gerrard, Liverpool would get 63 points, which last season would have seen them finish fifth; with Gerrard, they would get 28, certain relegation form.

All six of Charlie Adam's assists and both his goals have come when Gerrard has not started. Jordan Henderson's tackle success rate drops from 92.59% when Gerrard does not start to only 63.64% when he does. Jay Spearing wins 60.71% of duels when Gerrard does not start; only 54.76% when he does. When Gerrard is there, they have to adjust to different roles and, so far, that seems to have had a detrimental effect.

The balance of the side was much better without Gerrard in the side. The team gets shaken around because of him and it certainly has had an effect.

Another thing is remember when everyone thought Lampard and Gerrard was the perfect central midfield duo for England? It never worked because neither of them have good tactical awareness. Individually great players though and sometimes they can change a game (very rare now).

Dalglish has been consistently bad at it for the last year. It doesn't make him or the club look good. If he hates them that much, send out Clarke instead.

Maybe interviews bring out the worst in people, but he is a considerably better person than the way he has been presenting himself over the last 12 months in press interviews.

Last edited:
Back