The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Ben Smith ‏ @BenSmithBBC

Peter Brukner, head of sports medicine/ science, leaves #LFC. He will almost certainly not be the last to go today.

Oh wow, now Dalglish was not leaving early but just moved in that direction to say Hello to someone? lol.

If he was going to leave the interview early why would he try to walk inbetween the cameraman and interviewer when there would have been a path to his left or right out of the booth?

He also said 'alright', motioning his arm towards someone...

...or maybe he was signalling his escape vehicle?

If he was going to leave the interview early why would he try to walk inbetween the cameraman and interviewer when there would have been a path to his left or right out of the booth?

He also said 'alright', motioning his arm towards someone...

...or maybe he was signalling his escape vehicle?

If the media booths at Ewood are like the ones at Anfield (which I imagine they are) the camera man and interviewer would block the exit so he'd have to walk inbetween.

It's not just this one, it's all of them - he's always so defensive, like he's trying to make out it's Liverpool versus the world - and if it is, it's much because of him and how he and the club handled the entire Luis Suarez situation.

Liverpool goalkeeper’s appeal for wrongful dismissal rejected
Liverpool goalkeeper Alexander Doni will serve a one match suspension with immediate effect after his appeal for wrongful dismissal was rejected.

Doni was sent off during his side’s match at Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday 10 April for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

A Regulatory Commission heard the claim today [Thursday 12 April] and the suspension remains.

Hardly surprising, Ivanovic and Doni were stupid appeals, should add games on if anything

Both were blatent espeically Ivanovic who punched someone!

I'm not sure, I think Glen Johnson was getting there to cover.

Also, think last man rules should be slightly different for goalkeepers, as 90% of the time, they're going to be the last man.
Doni made a clear attempt for the ball, so it's harsh IMO.

If Derry's appeal was rejected then this was no surprise...

I'm not sure, I think Glen Johnson was getting there to cover.

Also, think last man rules should be slightly different for goalkeepers, as 90% of the time, they're going to be the last man.
Doni made a clear attempt for the ball, so it's harsh IMO.

Yep exactly what i think

but as the rules currently stand, it was a silly appeal

LOL, I love how people are going mental about Dalgish, especially in that Blackburn interview.. So he didn't want to talk about controversial incidents in the game. Shock, horror!

Tbf, not sure why everyone is getting on their high horses about Daglish's media handling; at least he turns up and answers every question that is actually match related.

Btw, that article is terrible, I can only assume he is an amateur. Kenny is clearly laying down the line because he knows that he will be asked about refereeing decisions which is fair enough, especially if Liverpool were considering to appeal the decision. The interviewer then goes on to ask him about it, what a douche. Also he's clearly saying hello to somebody in the background, if you can't see that then you're retarded..

Its not one interview, its almost every interview for the past year, its his general conduct to the press, even the Liverpool Echo and LFCTV have been on the end of it, his handling of the media has been, well, appalling.

Last edited:
Rumours are that it's Ian Ayre, apparently FSG aren't happy that he's not been able to find a stadium sponsor - ridiculous though considering he's got Liverpool two of the biggest sponsorship deals in the sport - Warrior Sports and Standard Chartered.

Also a lot of talk that David Dein or Johann Cruyff could be joining the club, all nonsense I'd expect but you never know.

EDIT: Whether he's saying hello to someone in the background or not is irrelevant, he still goes to walk off which is incredibly bad PR.

If Ayre goes, Dalglish does. It was Ayre who had to fight to get Dalglish on the list in the first place.

Dalglish needs to give media duties to Clarke. He is better than this, we know this, but he is hurting his own rep and the clubs.

LOL, I love how people are going mental about Dalgish, especially in that Blackburn interview.. So he didn't want to talk about controversial incidents in the game. Shock, horror!

Tbf, not sure why everyone is getting on their high horses about Daglish's media handling; at least he turns up and answers every question that is actually match related.

Btw, that article is terrible, I can only assume he is an amateur. Kenny is clearly laying down the line because he knows that he will be asked about refereeing decisions which is fair enough, especially if Liverpool were considering to appeal the decision. The interviewer then goes on to ask him about it, what a douche. Also he's clearly saying hello to somebody in the background, if you can't see that then you're retarded..
I don't see why he wouldn't talk about the controversial decisions. We have just won a game to end our poor run, it's not like we lost 5-0 after the referee didn't give three penalty appeals to us! Although I don't like 'Arry, at least he is honest in his interviews and doesn't shirk away from difficult questions. I guess King Kenny does have an excuse for not answering the questions about the decisions, though.

At least he shows up and answers all the questions which are match related? It seems like you don't want to find any faults in King Kenny - I love him as a man, but I am willing to see his downsides. That is expected of every decent manager, especially one of such a big club (in terms of supporters)! If he had not turned up or answered questions which are match related, then it would have been absolute stupid!

I also don't see why he didn't answer the question about Saturday's game, he should know that all the supporters are wanting to hear from him about it, but he refuses to answer it. He's taking the interview so formal and professionally, that he refuses to comment on the next match, and refereeing decisions - yet he suddenly goes up and greets someone in the middle of it? Still, it's not massive that he didn't answer questions about the FA Cup Semi Final (I'm not being sarcastic, by the way, I'm just saying this isn't the main issue).

To be honest, I agree that the reporter was a little but stupid in that - asking about the decisions after King Kenny had said that he wouldn't comment on them, but that isn't the point. King Kenny shouldn't have went off and said about the decisions before they had even asked! That's not good PR, to be honest.

People can interpret it differently, I personally think it was probably him greeting someone, but you don't know for sure that he's not storming out of an interview. I guess it would be acceptable if he was greeting someone, but he could have at least waited for the interviewer to finish the question or said 'excuse me a moment' instead of just walking away and asking the reporter to repeat the question! That's just bad manners. You saying 'if you can't see that, then you're retarded...' is pretty patronizing, to be honest, like you know something others don't.

You haven't been around very long if you haven't seen managers behave like this before.. One is very close to home for you.. Or to give another example, Mourinho, that guy acts like a complete moron in these situations but I guess that's just part of his "charisma".

Dalglish does give straight answers, to straight questions.. Maybe the media should stop bashing him every time he refuses to answer one of their ridiculous questions.

Also the reason Dalglish is making fun of the interviewer in that clip is because he referred to it as the "Cup final"..

BTW, I never said if you disagree you're retarded, I said if you think he's actually trying to leave the interview early you're retarded.. Completely different things. This article made me laugh:Liverpool Boss Kenny Dalglish Should Face Sack After Latest Embarrassing Interview
Yes, José Mourinho and Sir Alex Ferguson are both managers who like to play 'mind games' and are quite controversial in the press conferences, but they do it to help the team win the match, to give them a mental advantage. What mental advantage does the team get by refusing to answer questions? I wouldn't say Mourinho or Fergie's actions are acceptable sometimes, anyway!

I don't see why King Kenny has to answer the question, which is not ridiculous at all, 'were you always convinced you would win?', but add 'I don't see why you have to ask that question' like the answer was so obvious. Just because the team were playing well doesn't mean you would be convinced they would win! He did answer it, I guess, but he could have just answered it without a witty remark. These unnecessary statements are what annoys me the most.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the fact that King Kenny is back at Liverpool and is the manager, but he clearly has faults - and this is one of them. He is a good manager, although his transfers and press conferences have, quite frankly, been poor. If you can't really see any fault in what he does, then I think you'd have to be blind. I don't mean that in an offensive way, but at least you can see some of it was his fault? I would back King Kenny until the day Liverpool sacked him, but if I didn't find any faults in his media conduct then I would be very biased indeed. I don't want him to get sacked because of this, though, but maybe change his attitude in the future.

If Derry's appeal was rejected then this was no surprise...
Yeah, but the Shaun Derry red card was just stupid. It was terrible refereeing, and I don't know how the red card was even given, never mind why the FA didn't accept the appeal and lift the ban! QPR had every right to appeal for that, and if I were the head of the FA, I would've lifted the ban every time. Doni should have been sent off, though, in my honest opinion - I think the ban was just a last ditch attempt to get him to play against Everton!

- PZW

I am really surprised noone has offered Hoillett a contract yet, very decent player and on a free would be a good signing!

@Mike, I find that hard to believe.

@PZW.. Dude, that's long.. I cba to quote individual paragraphs, I'm sure you'll work it out.

He wasn't talking about the refereeing decisions at Blackburn because we were going to appeal the Doni red card.

Quite a lot of managers send their assistants to do post-match interviews, it's not uncommon.. All I meant was at least he bothers every week, unlike most.

He did answer about the FA Cup semi-final, he said there will be a press conference on Thursday [or Friday, I can't remember] and that he can ask him about it then.. And as for the refereeing decision, refer to first sentence.

Why can't Dalglish state that he isn't answering any questions about refereeing decisions today? That's his choice..

Well, it's obvious he was saying hi to somebody, unless he just decided to lean into the camera smiling and say "All right", I doubt it. I've seen much more unprofessional things in post-match interviews, which is why this is annoying me so much.. People are nit-picking at every little thing trying to prove their point.. Jeez.

I agree Dalglish hasn't been the best in front of the camera, I never said he was but articles saying he should be sacked for shaking somebody's hand during an informal interview? That's pathetic journalism, anyone can see that. I just wonder why Dalglish is the man the media are condemning for his behaviour? I could find a ton of other managers who are dismissive during post-match interviews, that's just how they are.

Maybe Steve Clarke should handle them but then I will bored as ****.. Like when Rafa was in charge, his interviews were actually interesting unlike Sammy Lee, who was the boring no.2.. And besides, if we sent out Clarke every week the media might actually have to stick to talking about the match. BTW, I'm not trying to mindlessly defend Dalglish regardless of what he does it just frustrates me how people just have to keep picking at him.

Last edited:
It's a pointless argument/debate because you're obviously going to defend him to the hills, whereas the majority of us think he's bad in the media spotlight.

EDIT: He's clearly walking away from that interview as well, he ends by saying okay and then walking off, he could be saying 'alright' to anyone, and it looks like he's saying it to the cameraman.

Last edited:
@Mike, I find that hard to believe.

@PZW.. Dude, that's long.. I cba to quote individual paragraphs, I'm sure you'll work it out.

He wasn't talking about the refereeing decisions at Blackburn because we were going to appeal the Doni red card.

Quite a lot of managers send their assistants to do post-match interviews, it's not uncommon.. All I meant was at least he bothers every week, unlike most.

He did answer about the FA Cup semi-final, he said there will be a press conference on Thursday [or Friday, I can't remember] and that he can ask him about it then.. And as for the refereeing decision, refer to first sentence.

Why can't Dalglish state that he isn't answering any questions about refereeing decisions today? That's his choice..

Well, it's obvious he was saying hi to somebody, unless he just decided to lean into the camera smiling and say "All right", I doubt it. I've seen much more unprofessional things in post-match interviews, which is why this is annoying me so much.. People are nit-picking at every little thing trying to prove their point.. Jeez.

I agree Dalglish hasn't been the best in front of the camera, I never said he was but articles saying he should be sacked for shaking somebody's hand during an informal interview? That's pathetic journalism, anyone can see that. I just wonder why Dalglish is the man the media are condemning for his behaviour? I could find a ton of other managers who are dismissive during post-match interviews, that's just how they are.

Maybe Steve Clarke should handle them but then I will bored as ****.. Like when Rafa was in charge, his interviews were actually interesting unlike Sammy Lee, who was the boring no.2.. And besides, if we sent out Clarke every week the media might actually have to stick to talking about the match. BTW, I'm not trying to mindlessly defend Dalglish regardless of what he does it just frustrates me how people just have to keep picking at him.

Whether you find it hard to believe is nether here or there. It's become patently obvious, for 12 months. He's had to apologise for acting in a manner not befitting Liverpool manager during the course of the whole Suarez thing. Either you haven't been watching enough Liverpool conferences, or you have been doing with one eye closed. Can't keep pointing the finger at everyone else apart from Dalglish. This isnt one, or two, or even ten press conferences. It has become pretty consistent now.

Ask yourself what target FSG set Liverpool, look at where they are now, look at how certain things were handled in the press, look at the performances since January. That is why he is getting criticism, and if it was anyone apart from him it would be far far worse.

Last edited:
Back