The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Liverpool target Johan Cruyff for senior role following Comolli's exit

Johan Cruyff is among the names being targeted by Liverpool after Damien Comolli's departure as director of football, BBC Sport understands.
Reds owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) have yet to draw up a definitive shortlist to replace Comolli.

But the Dutchman, 64, has impressed FSG chief John W Henry in his senior roles with Ajax and Chivas in Mexico.

Cruyff, who coaches the Catalan representative side, has also recently stepped down from a role with Ajax.

While FSG do not intend to radically alter the structure of the club, they are keen to bring in a respected name who can operate in a role that will both assist manager Kenny Dalglish, while overseeing the recruitment and scouting of players.

Cruyff, who won three European Cups as a player with Ajax between 1971 and 1973, is one of a number of names under consideration, although it is not known if he is interested in moving to Anfield.

Txiki Begiristain, the former Barcelona director of football, is also well thought of, while Louis van Gaal, who has been out of work since being sacked as coach of Bayern Munich in April last year, has indicated he would consider the position were he to be approached.

Liverpool were unavailable for comment after a day of departures from Anfield.

Sources close to Comolli indicated that he had been stunned by his sudden dismissal, having been informed by Henry and chairman Tom Werner late on Tuesday night. The Liverpool players were then told at a hastily arranged meeting at the Melwood training ground the next morning.

Commoli's dismissal appeared to signal the first stage of a backroom overhaul. The sports science team assembled by Christian Purslow, during his spell as managing director under Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, is also to be dismantled, with Peter Brukner, the head of sports science, leaving the club.

Kenny Dalglish was, however, told he continues to enjoy the "full support" of the club's owners.

"We've got great confidence in Kenny," Werner said. "We feel the team is going to make strides in the future."

Cruyff, who was on a supervisory board at the Amsterdam Arena, stepped down from his role after a long-running feud with Ajax directors and fellow board members.

He won a court battle in February overturning the appointments of Van Gaal and Martin Sturkenboom against his wishes.

The supervisory board quit after losing the case, and Cruyff eventually resigned on Wednesday with an agreement in place for choosing a new board.

Ajax said in a statement that Cruyff will "remain involved with the implementation of his football vision within the club".

Last edited:
Maybe it would have been better if an oil consortium group from the Middle East had bought Liverpool FC instead of some Americans who like baseball.

Will anymore more money be injected into Liverpool for summer transfers?

Maybe it would have been better if an oil consortium group from the Middle East had bought Liverpool FC instead of some Americans who like baseball.

Nobody can say that yet, because right now they have done everything in the best interest.. when we sold all them players we were allowed to re-invest every penny into new players, something the old owners would have deffinatley not done

And things have been going bad and they have acted accordingly with the sackings yesterday

As for the money this summer, no-one knows.. i heard rumours on sites of a 30Million budget plus player sales so we'll see, as i say there only rumours

No, it wouldn't have been better. We're not some club that a Sheikh can use as his little play thing and then throw away when he gets bored, leaving us in the ****.

FSG know sports, whether that's baseball or badminton for all I care, they're winners, proved by their record at the Red Sox, they've just sacked their best ever head coach because they haven't been doing well enough.

I'm happy with FSG and I think I speak for the majority of Liverpool fans when I say that.

No, it wouldn't have been better. We're not some club that a Sheikh can use as his little play thing and then throw away when he gets bored, leaving us in the ****.

FSG know sports, whether that's baseball or badminton for all I care, they're winners, proved by their record at the Red Sox, they've just sacked their best ever head coach because they haven't been doing well enough.

I'm happy with FSG and I think I speak for the majority of Liverpool fans when I say that.

That line is getting boring. Till now at least, which rich owner has used the club as a play thing and then thrown it away?

FSG know baseball. They do not know soccer as evidenced by their hirning of Comolli. MLB and EPL are two vastly different competitions with vastly different rules etc. Do not think that just because they have achieved success in the MLB means that they will achieve success in the EPL.

Although, FSG have done a relatively decent job. They are a welcome change from those two baboons for sure.

That line is getting boring. Till now at least, which rich owner has used the club as a play thing and then thrown it away?

FSG know baseball. They do not know soccer as evidenced by their hirning of Comolli. MLB and EPL are two vastly different competitions with vastly different rules etc. Do not think that just because they have achieved success in the MLB means that they will achieve success in the EPL.

Although, FSG have done a relatively decent job. They are a welcome change from those two baboons for sure.

.. And what does Roman know about football etc. People buy businesses all the time that they have no experience in - For some people that is a business! The key is to hire people who do know about football.

Looks like Sheiks/Roman are not just using clubs as play things they are genuinely interested in long term future.

You can get Americans like G & H who were evil as **** or Sheiks like City have got who have been superb owners. . So Sheiks use clubs as little play thing is ridiculous.

First line is yet to be seen because Football is in a new era of the rich owners coming in. And if you can't think of a rich club gone wrong, Birmingham?

So, them hiring a well respected D. Comolli means they do not know football. Odd. MLB and EPL are different, yes. But the same fundamental rules apply when running a club, business, establishment etc. They know how to win, they know they have to invest, they've gotten two of the biggest sponsorship deals the English game has seen.

Roman is oblivious to all things football, he still managed to get his side to win 2 PL titles in a row, CL finals, english cups etc. Do you think the Glazers know football? No, they are running a business, with the goal success and profit.

It is those below them in the chain that do the Football work, Ian Ayre etc.

No money has been injected for transfers so far. The owners have paid the purchase price of the club. That is the sum total of their injection of cash into the club. And thank god they did because without it we'd have been screwed every which way paying off the interest on the debt. As LFCMarshall rightly says, they've also not (to the best of our knowledge right now) taken a penny out of the club themselves. Given where we were, I'll count my blessings.

But, all the money for player transfers has come from what the club has generated itself or from increased debt. And I'd be stunned if that situation ever changed radically beyond the odd loan to cover cashflow gaps. The loss of revenue from CL football is huge. Our wage bill was equally huge. There's some room in there somewhere I'm sure.

Btw rumours on an LFC page that Ever Banega is a target and in talks.. 10-15M Price

Cyruff has stpped down at Ajax, and looks certain to join Liverpool

Great news IMO, hopefully such Ajax players will join

Vertonghan, Eriksen, Fischer ETC

Wouldn't get too excited by Cruyff stories. Cruyff is in the middle of a civil war at Ajax. Nice story, suits all sides.

Btw rumours on an LFC page that Ever Banega is a target and in talks.. 10-15M Price

Cyruff has stpped down at Ajax, and looks certain to join Liverpool

Great news IMO, hopefully such Ajax players will join

Vertonghan, Eriksen, Fischer ETC

Getting ahead of yourself there re: players. Just because he may join doesn't mean you will get their players, or they will countenance talking about selling. One step at a time.

Wouldn't get too excited by Cruyff stories. Cruyff is in the middle of a civil war at Ajax. Nice story, suits all sides.

Its all got very ugly there, surprised its dragged on so long.

To the debate earlier on, I'd also cite pompey as a club shafted and definitely bent over by owners trying to use a club as a plaything before letting it go.

More out of ignorance than anything - what has Cruyff actually done in the transfer market that can be linked as anything special?

I'm dreaming don't actually think those players will happen, but apparently it's been confirmed by Ajax that cyruff has parted company

Back