The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I'd go easy on the chants etc as you'll get a ban lol. Agree that he played with passion and pride with Liverpool every game and they should remember that instead in my opinion. When Gus Poyet left to go to Spurs i was annoyed but never hated him or slated him, just remembered the great things he done for us.

Yup, when a player like Drogba leaves Chelsea I will never hate him much like Zola based on the fact they played with pride while in blue the Liverpool fans reckon Torres turned his back on them like that? Blame you're owners for Torres' loss not Torres. Just my opinion on the subject. Liverpool fans think much different. Even their own player could understand why he left, why cant the fans?

For me, it is the best £50 Million Liverpool have ever received. Some people do still see he betrayed us, having said a few weeks earlier he was committed to the club etc. It all depends on the situation I guess.

One player I still hate is Macherano. The fact that he refused to play because he wanted to move ****** me off so much. Especially when we are helping fund his wages, to turn around and refuse to play is a **** take

Ok, I agree on Mascherano one but Torres' he played with pride and this was easily known. Feel free Liverpool supporters to hate on him but you're just making idiots of yourself.

For me, it is the best £50 Million Liverpool have ever received. Some people do still see he betrayed us, having said a few weeks earlier he was committed to the club etc. It all depends on the situation I guess.

One player I still hate is Macherano. The fact that he refused to play because he wanted to move ****** me off so much. Especially when we are helping fund his wages, to turn around and refuse to play is a **** take

And i totally agree with not liking a player for that i really do. But Torres didn't do that and actually loves your club now even after all the abuse. In this current day and age he moved up in the footballing world and i just believe that is a hard thing for some Liverpool fans to take. I agree in terms of the 50million your received you have used it to try and build again and Suarez for 25mill and Enrique for 7odd mill and Coates for 6 odd mill and change is good business.

And i totally agree with not liking a player for that i really do. But Torres didn't do that and actually loves your club now even after all the abuse. In this current day and age he moved up in the footballing world and i just believe that is a hard thing for some Liverpool fans to take. I agree in terms of the 50million your received you have used it to try and build again and Suarez for 25mill and Enrique for 7odd mill and Coates for 6 odd mill and change is good business.

But more than half of the 50m was spent on Carroll. Not wisely spent for me. Suarez is nothing to Torres when he played to Pool. They will never find a striker like Torres again, plays with pride wherever he may be. He was quality, loved by supporters until now and its all the owner(s) faults.

but 35 of it was spent on Andy Carroll.

Has proved to have a better goal to game ratio so far though

Carroll is like the new Heskey, he always scores headers. Carroll just gets in the right place at the right time. Meanwhile Torres' gets assists, a team player not selfish. For me Torres' has proved to been better. He can actually take on a player too, without falling over. Goal to game ratio is nothing, its just because Carroll has played less. Watch Torres and watch Carroll then try and say Carroll is better.

Lets be honest neither was worth or have ever been worth the money paid for them. But on the whole Torres's Chelsea career has been worlds better than Carroll's Liverpool career at this current moment. Obviously things can change but since joining Chelsea Torres has become a more all rounded player, if he doesn't end up on the score sheet then he will be on the assist list.

Torres has 0.27 goals/game. Carroll has 0.33.

Torres has 8 assists in 27 games. Carroll has 1 assist in 24 games. I know who I'd rather have.

But either way, it's like arguing over who bought the best dead horse.

on the brighter side though, both players look like they are improving. Carroll has been looking good in the last few games, 2 goals in 2 games, and as you say Torres has been getting a fair few assists.

Any other FA in world football would have moved the game for their club. They would never have moved the game in the first place as soon as Kenny said "we wont play on Sunday".

Behave, I know you have some sort of anti-hillsborough thing going on (yes I remember the joke you posted about it a while ago), but just accept that for many, many people it's not the day we should play games on. Kenny was horrificaly effected by the event, as were so many people, including my dad, who was in the stand at hillsborough. We like to have a service on the day to remember those who didn't come home that day.

Luis Suárez to sign longer-term contract with 'supportive' Liverpool

• Uruguayan keen to play for country at Olympic Games
• Yes, I will continue at Liverpool, said Luis Suárez

Liverpool's Luis Suárez pleads for a decision during the FA Cup semi-final against Everton, during which he scored his team's crucial equaliser. Photograph: Michael Regan/The FA via Getty Images

Luis Suárez has confirmed he has no intention of leaving Liverpool in the wake of a turbulent season as the FA Cup finalists look to secure the Uruguay international on a new long-term contract.

Anfield officials are in negotiations with Suárez's representatives over an improved deal for the striker, who scored his 14th goal of the season for Liverpool in their 2-1 defeat of Everton in the FA Cup semi-final. Irrespective of a new contract, the 25-year-old insists he will be at Liverpool next season and will not reciprocate interest from a team who have qualified for the Champions League this summer.

"Yes I will continue at Liverpool," said Suárez. "It is obvious I will continue. I have four years left on my contract and I am very happy and content to be here and I hope good things continue."

Paris St-Germain were the first club to register an interest in Suárez after he was banned for eight matches for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra. The former Ajax captain attracted further condemnation when he refused to shake Evra's hand at Old Trafford in February, including from his own club, but cited the controversial support he received from Kenny Dalglish and his Liverpool team-mates as key to his desire to stay. Suárez said: "I am over that. Obviously the important thing was the support from all the people and there is no need to talk about that as it is already in the past."

The striker's contentment is a major relief for Dalglish and Fenway Sports Group, which last week sacked Damien Comolli as the director of football over the poor return from Liverpool's other expensive recruits and can plan their transfer strategy around Suárez this summer. "It is vitally important he stays," said the defender Jamie Carragher. "He is a fantastic player and I thought he was our best player against Everton. I wouldn't swap him for anyone in the league. I see no reason why he would want to leave. He is playing well so hopefully he will sign a new contract, which he is expecting to do."

One potential problem for Liverpool with Suárez this summer is his openness to the prospect of playing for his country at the Olympic Games. He said: "All my team‑mates are saying we all want to go to the Olympic Games and play as Uruguay has not been there for a long time, but it also depends on the club and the coach of the team who has to pick the players. All of that has to be in order."

Suárez, left, was again the focus of opposition anger at Wembley, where his theatrics and a running feud with John Heitinga prompted Evertonian criticism, and he admitted the barracking has been an issue. He said: "A lot of things happen in football. It's difficult and it's complicated but you have to deal with it and get used to it. It's normal in football when it's a rival as difficult as Everton. The important thing is we came through it and, not just me, but all my team‑mates responded in the best way possible.

"At the end my joy was for my wife and my daughter, and my sister and niece who came from Uruguay, and my father-in-law who came from Barcelona. They made a huge effort to be here so my joy was for all the sacrifices they make for me, and the sacrifices by all the people from Liverpool and all the support they've given us despite not having good moments in recent times."

Brad Jones, meanwhile, said he has no argument with handing the goalkeeper's jersey back to José Reina for the FA Cup final after producing a solid display against Everton. The Australian, third choice before suspension ruled Reina and Alexander Doni out of the semi-final, fell to his knees at the final whistle and dedicated his performance to his late son, Luca. He accepts, however, that a return to the margins now beckons. "I'm a realist," said Jones. "Pepe is one of the best in the world. It's up to him to go and get us a trophy now. I've told him that already."

Luis Suárez to sign longer-term contract with 'supportive' Liverpool | Football | The Guardian

How am i anti hillsborough from a joke i saw somewhere (didnt make up myself). I feel deeply for families and all parties involved but my problem is with Liverpool in general nothing to do with Hillsborough. My problem is that your club cant seem to take any responcibilty for these things but pin the blame on anything and everything else.

Jokes about a disaster which saw 96 people die are a bit sick really, whether you made it up or not. Take responsibility for what exactly? The blame doesn't lie with us, we never caused the disaster, the reason we fight for justice is to exterminate that myth which far too many people around the country seem to believe. You expect us to play on a day which affects not only the club but a fair amount of match-goers, families around Liverpool which isn't just us reds it's Everton fans too. The memorial is special to so many people, it'd be impossible to hold it whilst we're in the cup semi-final against Everton, it's just not a feasible option. It's absolutely pathetic, life comes before football and how Chelsea can criticise us I'll never know, half-wit fans of an absolutely plastic club.

And the fact use cannot keep quiet for a minute to respect the 96 and Morosini who died the other day speaks volumes about your fan-base doesn't it? Added onto the fact use couldn't even do it after the tsunami a few years ago. I've never really cared about Chelsea, a small club which is run terribly but when the fans repeatedly disrespect the dead it sickens me really. I think Chelsea need to learn it goes further than football sometimes.

Justice for the 96, Rest in peace.

Y.N.W.A.

Aye that's a well written post, especially when it's easy for many people go off on one calling each other names.

The last paragraph struck a chord with me, it's about 96 people who died, and the desperately unlucky footballer Morosini from Italy. Take club politics out of it, take fan partisanship and rivalry out of it, and just don't forget you're remembering people who died. People who, just like you, went to watch the club they support play a match and expected nothing more than to see a good match, and ended the day dead.

Those who disrupt by jeering and that sort of thing are as bad as people who vandalise WWII graves because they disagree with war, or they disagree with "Western Oppression". Again, they are people who have families, and that should be respected whether you agree or not. I can understand if Chelsea fans (indeed any fans!) have an issue with blame or whatever else, but you can't argue for the need to honour the dead, just as I hope people will have enough respect to honour me if I end up in the wrong place at the wrong time somewhere, like those 96 poor people, many of them children.

Last edited:
Did you write for The Sun in 1989 by any chance?

It's been proven many times by many different organisations that it was poor policing that led to the disaster. So get your facts right before you come in here.

Ok so say it was poor policing them people who went in didn't have tickets so why did they even go in?? Its a combination of poor policing and scumbags who forced the incident. Just because i have a different view on the incident make me sick not does it?? Where have i slated the dead or said people shouldn't remember them, my question is where was your minutes silence for Munich this season?

Jokes about a disaster which saw 96 people die are a bit sick really, whether you made it up or not. Take responsibility for what exactly? The blame doesn't lie with us, we never caused the disaster, the reason we fight for justice is to exterminate that myth which far too many people around the country seem to believe. You expect us to play on a day which affects not only the club but a fair amount of match-goers, families around Liverpool which isn't just us reds it's Everton fans too. The memorial is special to so many people, it'd be impossible to hold it whilst we're in the cup semi-final against Everton, it's just not a feasible option. It's absolutely pathetic, life comes before football and how Chelsea can criticise us I'll never know, half-wit fans of an absolutely plastic club.

And the fact use cannot keep quiet for a minute to respect the 96 and Morosini who died the other day speaks volumes about your fan-base doesn't it? Added onto the fact use couldn't even do it after the tsunami a few years ago. I've never really cared about Chelsea, a small club which is run terribly but when the fans repeatedly disrespect the dead it sickens me really. I think Chelsea need to learn it goes further than football sometimes.

Justice for the 96, Rest in peace.

Y.N.W.A.

It was a ******* joke and a harsh joke which i stated before i posted it. The same with the harsh jokes that came out about 9/11, Maddie, Michael Jackson so on and so forth. The minute silence you refer too it was the Copenhagen fans chanting not the Chelsea fans and the Chelsea fans boo'd them after it. Chelsea fans criticise the way you blamed us for the Heysel disaster and i would also say where are Liverpool's minute silence for the Munich disaster every year? The Bradford fire? Its something i believe should be remembered by the club involved and anyone else who feels they want to. Either all or none thats all im saying. Where here am i criticising the dead or the disaster or anything of the kind, im ******* well not. And Chelsea used to be a small club but im afraid we are not anymore mate.

Barcelona are the only team in top 5 leagues in Europe to spend more time in opponents half than Liverpool have this season via whoscored

Found this stat amazing, just shows how dominant we have been in the majority of games but it again proves how poor we have been in the final third

We havent got someone who can make something out of nothing and we havent got a finisher...

my question is where was your minutes silence for Munich this season?

It was on the pitch before one of our games, can't remember the opponent. And no, we didn't chant during it, plastic boy.

Barcelona are the only team in top 5 leagues in Europe to spend more time in opponents half than Liverpool have this season via whoscored

Found this stat amazing, just shows how dominant we have been in the majority of games but it again proves how poor we have been in the final third

We havent got someone who can make something out of nothing and we havent got a finisher...

Also if hitting the woodwork counted as a goal, Liverpool would be 4th.

That's not quite right, the person mistook what the stat actually meant...

What the “action zone” stat tells us is the proportion of each teams total “actions” that take place in a specific third of the pitch. We don’t know if “actions” means “touches” or “passes” or a combination of the 2

Also:
“Own half” means Liverpool’s DEFENSIVE THIRD of the pitch
“Middle” means the MIDDLE THIRD of the pitch
“Opposition half” means the ATTACKING THIRD of the pitch

So it should read “our proportion of total passes/touches in the attacking third (32%) is higher than anyone in the top 5 leagues except Barcelona”

When you look at HOME GAMES only, our proportion increases to 35%, joint best along with Real and Barca!

This doesn’t mean that we don’t take more touches in the final third than Barca, however it does tell me that on the face of it we have a fairly efficient attacking style. We get the ball forward forward fairly quickly and try to play in the attacking third. When you combine it with possession stats (Liverpool are 7th best in the PL) it’s a good indication that Liverpool have consistently taken the game to opponents and played near their goal.

Contrast with a team like Swansea who are 2nd to Arsenal in possession stats with 58% but top of the action zones for the middle third with 46%

Every single one of you needs to shut up. Now. Before people start getting bans. What happened was a disgrace, but it is not a platform either for Liverpool fans to start espousing **** about Chelsea.

Grow up

Back