The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Every single one of you needs to shut up. Now. Before people start getting bans. What happened was a disgrace, but it is not a platform either for Liverpool fans to start espousing **** about Chelsea.

Grow up

Well said, and also well said steve above.

Not ok to joke about any tragedy in football, no matter the rivalry of your clubs or whatever.

That's not quite right, the person mistook what the stat actually meant...

What the “action zone” stat tells us is the proportion of each teams total “actions” that take place in a specific third of the pitch. We don’t know if “actions” means “touches” or “passes” or a combination of the 2

Also:
“Own half” means Liverpool’s DEFENSIVE THIRD of the pitch
“Middle” means the MIDDLE THIRD of the pitch
“Opposition half” means the ATTACKING THIRD of the pitch

So it should read “our proportion of total passes/touches in the attacking third (32%) is higher than anyone in the top 5 leagues except Barcelona”

When you look at HOME GAMES only, our proportion increases to 35%, joint best along with Real and Barca!

This doesn’t mean that we don’t take more touches in the final third than Barca, however it does tell me that on the face of it we have a fairly efficient attacking style. We get the ball forward forward fairly quickly and try to play in the attacking third. When you combine it with possession stats (Liverpool are 7th best in the PL) it’s a good indication that Liverpool have consistently taken the game to opponents and played near their goal.

Contrast with a team like Swansea who are 2nd to Arsenal in possession stats with 58% but top of the action zones for the middle third with 46%

Ah i understand,

still quite an amazing stat no matter what way you look at it tho.. kinda highlights our poorness in the final third

Ah i understand,

still quite an amazing stat no matter what way you look at it tho.. kinda highlights our poorness in the final third

It could also indicate that teams are choosing to play us in a certain way and we've not yet figured out how to break them down. It's been a common problem for us for a long time - in fact, since Ged's very direct football which relied on very fast counter-attacks with pace to burn up front.

It could also indicate that teams are choosing to play us in a certain way and we've not yet figured out how to break them down. It's been a common problem for us for a long time - in fact, since Ged's very direct football which relied on very fast counter-attacks with pace to burn up front.

I think under Benitez we started showing signs, espeically when we finished 2nd that year... in all honesty we threw it way

but the key to that was the core of the team

Alonso - Masch
Gerrard
Torres

It would have rivalled any in the world.. The team we have now simply is not at the same level to that, and its showing when we have to break teams down

This is unbelieavable ....

We've all said it before but today could have been a rugby score. Yet we're behind?

We have to sort out our attack

Hi.
Just want to say it was only a minority of Chelsea fans in the minutes silence. I'd like it if you didn't judge the club on some scum as I and I'm sure many others respect the minutes silence. Don't let others posting jokes about tragedy's go for the rest of the Chelsea fans, disgusting.

I guess this is how we get a bad reputation and everyone has their opinion (rightfully so) but I just wish people wouldn't judge the club as a whole due to a minority.

fun fact: In 2005 Liverpool came 5th and won the Champions League losing to Chelsea in the FA cup final, Chelsea could do the same this year!

Anyway, I look forward to beating you's in the final ;)

Who would Liverpool fans like to see striker wise? I think Darren Bent could do a decent job for you

Who would Liverpool fans like to see striker wise? I think Darren Bent could do a decent job for you

Huntelaar, Llorente or Ballotelli. But none of them are realistic targets... My best reccomended player would maybe be Ricky Van Wolfswinkel. He wont be cheap though. Not entirely convinced by Darren Bent...

Bent will get you 15 goals a season, but he'll also miss chances. I think he could do a good job for Liverpool though.

Huntelaar, Llorente or Ballotelli. But none of them are realistic targets... My best reccomended player would maybe be Ricky Van Wolfswinkel. He wont be cheap though. Not entirely convinced by Darren Bent...

Why is that mate? I think he would be a good fit, fairly lazy but he can finish well and would probably be cheaper than those you have mentioned. Plus he has the bonus of having already played Prem football alot. Injuries may be a worry though....

Why is that mate? I think he would be a good fit, fairly lazy but he can finish well and would probably be cheaper than those you have mentioned. Plus he has the bonus of having already played Prem football alot. Injuries may be a worry though....

Simply that reason. We need a striker who wont just wait for the ball to score. we need somebody who will chase the ball and Bent doesnt do that enough. And he would also be costly. Villa will be looking for a return on what he cost them so your looking at the 25-30m bracket and he isnt worth that. Thats why I suggested Van Wolfswinkel. He has good determaination and good finishing ability. He would also be considerably cheaper. About half the price of Bent.

He has been mentioned a few times over the past few months and should welcome a move to us :)

Simply that reason. We need a striker who wont just wait for the ball to score. we need somebody who will chase the ball and Bent doesnt do that enough. And he would also be costly. Villa will be looking for a return on what he cost them so your looking at the 25-30m bracket and he isnt worth that. Thats why I suggested Van Wolfswinkel. He has good determaination and good finishing ability. He would also be considerably cheaper. About half the price of Bent.

He has been mentioned a few times over the past few months and should welcome a move to us :)

For me, I think Liverpool may need somone who will just wait for his chance. They create a good amount of chances but need somthing else to finish it off (I may be wrong but thats from the matches I have watched - about 9 this season lol)

How much would RVW cost?

I think you're being a little harsh, actually. There was lots of talk from Capello about how his move to Villa improved Bent, but actually his only discernible improvement was his work rate. When he first arrived, for example, and we played City, he spent the entire match hassling and running for the ball. He's no slouch anymore. Sure, he's not Rooney, but still.

The only sticking point is indeed the price. We'll be looking for lots, since we have him on a long-termer and want to keep him. If he wants to go - and it's likely he would - the price may come down a little, but again it's supply and demand. The demand for proven, experienced Premier League goalscorers who more or less guarantee you double figures is sky high, and the realistic supply is basically just Bent.

For me, I think Liverpool may need somone who will just wait for his chance. They create a good amount of chances but need somthing else to finish it off (I may be wrong but thats from the matches I have watched - about 9 this season lol)

How much would RVW cost?

Yeah we need somebody to take the chances but they still have to get in the position to do so. Bent always liked to see the ball fed to him. Em from what iv heard he would cost about £15M. Which would be at least £10m cheaper than Bent.

I think you're being a little harsh, actually. There was lots of talk from Capello about how his move to Villa improved Bent, but actually his only discernible improvement was his work rate. When he first arrived, for example, and we played City, he spent the entire match hassling and running for the ball. He's no slouch anymore. Sure, he's not Rooney, but still.

The only sticking point is indeed the price. We'll be looking for lots, since we have him on a long-termer and want to keep him. If he wants to go - and it's likely he would - the price may come down a little, but again it's supply and demand. The demand for proven, experienced Premier League goalscorers who more or less guarantee you double figures is sky high, and the realistic supply is basically just Bent.

Fair enough, i may not have seen enough of him over the past few months but anytime i watch him he never puts himself out there for an attack and waits for the ball. But as I say, I havnt seen enough of him this season to justify this. I agree about the price, your not going to take a loss on him and demand for proven pl scorers are gone through the roof. We could already be priced out of a move. Strong rumours we will only have about £20m to play about with in the summer due to FFP which means we would spend our entire budget on him and then some.

van Wolfswinkel. No thanks.

I like Bent, but he'd cost too much, and he's not exactly a spring chicken anymore.

Honestly I doubt we'll sign a striker, even though we badly need one.

Whats wrong with RVW?
Nothing in my eyes, he looks very decent and I think him moving to the Premier League would want to make him prove he can do it in a tougher league. Probably Liverpool's best hope, I would go for him over Darren Bent.

Nothing in my eyes, he looks very decent and I think him moving to the Premier League would want to make him prove he can do it in a tougher league. Probably Liverpool's best hope, I would go for him over Darren Bent.

^^My thoughts exactly. And he cant be much worse at finishing than Suarez.... :)

Back