The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
The owners have been very succesful with the Red Sox (the baseball team my dad supports) so they know sport and know to trust the manager and leave it to him. That's better than a different owner coming in and interfering with the football side of things with very little knowledge. Manager and players have let Liverpool down this season, not owners

Good input.

Owners have done nothing wrong, they gave plenty of money, it's the way we spent it, and the players' attitude is the problem. More than half of them didn't look like they cared at all.

To be honest I feel sorry for the owners, they give Dalglish 100m and the best they can find is Caroll/Henderson/Downing...

Moving swiftly along. Skrtel has won fans player of the season this year. Well merited by him. Was one of a few players that gave their all in every game.

To be honest I feel sorry for the owners, they give Dalglish 100m and the best they can find is Caroll/Henderson/Downing...

umm... Henderson and Carroll were bought with the future in mind, I doubt anyone expected them to set the world alight in their first season. Carroll has also been showing what he can really do recently. Downing has actually been decent enough, its just that the chances he creates are not finished off by the strikers

Also who do you expect Liverpool would be able to attract with no CL football?

umm... Henderson and Carroll were bought with the future in mind, I doubt anyone expected them to set the world alight in their first season. Carroll has also been showing what he can really do recently. Downing has actually been decent enough, its just that the chances he creates are not finished off by the strikers

Also who do you expect Liverpool would be able to attract with no CL football?

Erm, Look at the signings Newcastle have made, bit awkward for Liverpool there I am afraid.

Erm, Look at the signings Newcastle have made, bit awkward for Liverpool there I am afraid.

Lets get real.. Demb Ba was a player no one would have gone near because of his knees, good on him to do well in the PLM but it was totally unexpected and unfair if you criticize Liverpool for not signing him

Papis Cisse only came in after Newcastle started to fly high after the heroics by Demb Ba, no doubt Demb Ba played a huge role in his arrival as well.

Cabaye and Tiote were excellent signings obviously, I will give you that.

I agree that Pool could have made use of the funds more wisely but the way you worded your post, it was as if you thought Liverpool completely wasted their money signing Carroll, Downing and Hendo

I do wonder how much money we have to spend.. I mean, we have spend close to £120m in the past 18 months.. But our net spend is only £35m.. Hopefully there is room for a net spend of at least £20-25m this summer.

Also, I think we should at least make an attempt at signing Hoilett, and maybe Diame. Two players at the end of their contracts, Premier League experience.. Why not?

I have a feeling that Dalglish could "retire" and become Director of Football.. Maybe with Martinez being offered the managers role.. IDK.. All that matters is it gets sorted out soon. We need to start making signings before the Euro's come and screw everything up.

Last edited:
Good input.

Owners have done nothing wrong, they gave plenty of money, it's the way we spent it, and the players' attitude is the problem. More than half of them didn't look like they cared at all.

Arabs would have injected more money which would have made made Liverpool purchase higher profile players.

Arabs would have injected more money which would have made made Liverpool purchase higher profile players.

Really? I'd be happy if our owner would just pay the clubs debts off and give Wenger 100m for players. But we dont have John Henry as owner we have Silent Stan.

Not even close to being true. For one Arab =/= megarich. I forget which Spanish club it is, but they havent seen a penny and he's run off. Also money isnt even the issue, its the player choice. They spent 100m, just not all that well.

One thing I really can't complain about with us right now is our owners. Cleared us of debt, increased our financial revenues (somehow) and gave us some money to spend all whilst conducting themselves in a professional manner.

I do wonder how much money we have to spend.. I mean, we have spend close to £120m in the past 18 months.. But our net spend is only £35m.. Hopefully there is room for a net spend of at least £20-25m this summer.

Also, I think we should at least make an attempt at signing Hoilett, and maybe Diame. Two players at the end of their contracts, Premier League experience.. Why not?

I have a feeling that Dalglish could "retire" and become Director of Football.. Maybe with Martinez being offered the managers role.. IDK.. All that matters is it gets sorted out soon. We need to start making signings before the Euro's come and screw everything up.

Looking at your figures, it sounds like it will be a net spend of £25m, so it will be a case of selling to buy in some areas. I'd take a punt on Nilmar now Villarreal are down.

I said I'd have the last laugh with Liverpool losing in the cup final & finishing 8th ;)

Not even close to being true. For one Arab =/= megarich. I forget which Spanish club it is, but they havent seen a penny and he's run off. Also money isnt even the issue, its the player choice. They spent 100m, just not all that well.
Portsmouth had two Arab owners who ended up making things worse didn't they?

Looking at your figures, it sounds like it will be a net spend of £25m, so it will be a case of selling to buy in some areas. I'd take a punt on Nilmar now Villarreal are down.

He'll have competition, I wouldn't be at all surprised if PSG have a sneaky pop but yeah would love him. Do you have an idea what went so wrong for them Mike? I read that 3 months ago they were right in the thick of it for a champs league spot. I know Rossi* had a bad injury but that can't be it.

He'll have competition, I wouldn't be at all surprised if PSG have a sneaky pop but yeah would love him. Do you have an idea what went so wrong for them Mike? I read that 3 months ago they were right in the thick of it for a champs league spot. I know Rossi* had a bad injury but that can't be it.

Yeah, and I apologise in advance for going off topic, but basically Villarreal rely on Valero feeding the fantastic 4 of Cani, Cazorla, Rossi and Nilmar, Rossi and Cazorla being the more important two. Cazorla was sold, Rossi was injured, Nilmar badly lost form. And they never really recovered their spark.

Big report about Elm and Belhanda in the Guardian tomorrow.

Kenny/Clarke going to boston to talk to the owners.

Last edited:
Well its the least one could do after Liverpool losing several matches to way weaker opponents.

I'd like to see either Rafa Benitez or Fabio Capello.

Back