The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
People look at 100 Million spent and we think we should be challenging because of this, what Andy said, we have only spent 25 Million net, because we have sold key players.. Torres, Alonso, Masch, Meireles have gone in recent season and they were pretty much key players

we're rebuilding and it will take a little big longer than one season mind, top teams are buying depth to add to the quality.. we're trying to replace it... got to keep our strong players and buy more quality depth.

My recap on the season is this.
I knew before we kicked a ball we were an outside bet to finish in the top 4. People are quick to forget how many players have come into Liverpool in the past 2 years. These players need time to adapt and i knew we would struggle in games. Taking into account how many times we hit the post this season we could have placed 3-4 positions higher than we did with just some more luck in front of goal.
That being said I am dissapointed with losses to the teams lower down the league. We seemed to play better when under pressure. The amount of goals we scored was dissapointing and even worse was our home form. We shouldnt let the likes of home defeats to Fulham and West Brom and only drawing with Swansea, Norwich and Blackburn is unacceptable. These are teams that should be cannon fodder and serve to help our goal difference. Add to the fact that we only scored more than 3 goals in one league game and this is dissapointing also.
There are some positives though. We havnt seemed to have signed any real duffers over the past year and a half. Carroll and Suarez have finally found a good partnership. Carroll has been excellent in recent weeks after finally settling into the club. Then we have Downing and Henderson who have both shown what they can do. Downing would have a few assists only for the killer instinct in front of goal. Enrique looks like a bargain signing and is our first solid left back in years. Charlie Adam has done well also despite fans not appreciating him. People expected Xabi Alonso MK2 but he isnt the same kind of player and has done well when utilised.

Next season Liverpool need to spend money but they dont need a large number of players. I think a Right Winger and a Striker would be enough for us to push on and improve next season. Worst thing we could do is add 4-5 players for the first time as this will disrupt the harmony at the club. With 2 signings in these positions and the promise shown by other players it gives us optimism and hopefully we could push on for a top 5 position next year. I predict we may finish outside the top 4 again but we will be more competitive next season and the gap between us and the top will shrink. Some fans wouldnt be happy with this but progress takes time.A good season for us would be to finish fifth and win a cup or 2. Preferably the FA Cup or Europa League.

Whats other peoples thoughts on the season?

I knew before we kicked a ball we were an outside bet to finish in the top 4. People are quick to forget how many players have come into Liverpool in the past 2 years. These players need time to adapt and i knew we would struggle in games. Taking into account how many times we hit the post this season we could have placed 3-4 positions higher than we did with just some more luck in front of goal.
That being said I am dissapointed with losses to the teams lower down the league. We seemed to play better when under pressure. The amount of goals we scored was dissapointing and even worse was our home form. We shouldnt let the likes of home defeats to Fulham and West Brom and only drawing with Swansea, Norwich and Blackburn is unacceptable. These are teams that should be cannon fodder and serve to help our goal difference. Add to the fact that we only scored more than 3 goals in one league game and this is dissapointing also.
There are some positives though. We havnt seemed to have signed any real duffers over the past year and a half. Carroll and Suarez have finally found a good partnership. Carroll has been excellent in recent weeks after finally settling into the club. Then we have Downing and Henderson who have both shown what they can do. Downing would have a few assists only for the killer instinct in front of goal. Enrique looks like a bargain signing and is our first solid left back in years. Charlie Adam has done well also despite fans not appreciating him. People expected Xabi Alonso MK2 but he isnt the same kind of player and has done well when utilised.

Next season Liverpool need to spend money but they dont need a large number of players. I think a Right Winger and a Striker would be enough for us to push on and improve next season. Worst thing we could do is add 4-5 players for the first time as this will disrupt the harmony at the club. With 2 signings in these positions and the promise shown by other players it gives us optimism and hopefully we could push on for a top 5 position next year. I predict we may finish outside the top 4 again but we will be more competitive next season and the gap between us and the top will shrink. Some fans wouldnt be happy with this but progress takes time.A good season for us would be to finish fifth and win a cup or 2. Preferably the FA Cup or Europa League.

The problem is that you seem to make the assumption that no one will leave this summer. What makes you think that the 'settled' players in the squad such as Agger, Skrtel, Lucas and Suarez will be prepared to wait the 3-4 seasons before Liverpool buy the right players to make a legitimate challenge for the PLM trophy again. I certainly know that Torres was not prepared to wait and if reports are to be believed the same could be said for Skrtel

The reason why Manchester United are able to remain successfull consistently is because even in their transitional season they are able to pose a legitimate challenge on all 4 fronts which means they are able to keep the squad intact and improve it. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Liverpool

**This lad's always got the First Team news first and was always spot on, so I'd take what he is saying and prepare for the worst, by the looks of it KD has walked, lets just wait it out for conformation**

duncan jenkins
it could be chinese wispa's but rumours that kenny dalglish has walked and is no longer #lfc manager. i am awaiting news from my mole source

TonyEvansTimes
Let's all be calm. The rumourmongers are running wild. No evidence at all to suggest Dalglish no longer manager

All from a Liverpool page, source is twitter

Lot of rumours doing the round about Dalglish no longer being manager!

The problem is that you seem to make the assumption that no one will leave this summer. What makes you think that the 'settled' players in the squad such as Agger, Skrtel, Lucas and Suarez will be prepared to wait the 3-4 seasons before Liverpool buy the right players to make a legitimate challenge for the PLM trophy again. I certainly know that Torres was not prepared to wait and if reports are to be believed the same could be said for Skrtel

The reason why Manchester United are able to remain successfull consistently is because even in their transitional season they are able to pose a legitimate challenge on all 4 fronts which means they are able to keep the squad intact and improve it. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Liverpool

Skrtel is the only major doubt. And we are in contract talks with him anyway so no suprise theres speculation so he gets the best deal he can. Agger would be no big loss, been great when he played but again too injury prone. Lucas, Suarez, Reina etc. have all stated their love for the club and wont leave this year. We dont need to sell so unless a player really wants to go we wont entertain offers. We can push on next season and if there is real progress players wont want to leave.

I agree, id say 3 players

Defensive mid to cover lucas ---- Rumours could be Diame
Attacking midfielder, weather it be a winger or creative CAM------- Elm, Hoillett, Ramirez
Striker to provide competition for Carroll and Suarez ------ De Jong

Adam saying the fans hated him has provided 2 goals and 10 assists!!
Henderson has a good engine and in time will improve his attacking game, shown glimpses this season
Carroll been looking unplayable last 5 or 6 games

If we managed to challeneg for 4th next year and had good cup runs id be happy..

5th Place and a Cup would be great
Top 4 would be dreamy!!

People look at 100 Million spent and we think we should be challenging because of this, what Andy said, we have only spent 25 Million net, because we have sold key players.. Torres, Alonso, Masch, Meireles have gone in recent season and they were pretty much key players

we're rebuilding and it will take a little big longer than one season mind, top teams are buying depth to add to the quality.. we're trying to replace it... got to keep our strong players and buy more quality depth.

But the fact remains, you've bought mediocre players for over 100m. No matter what the net spend is, you could have bought better.

But the fact remains, you've bought mediocre players for over 100m. No matter what the net spend is, you could have bought better.

Totally agree, although people dont look at the full picture, we've not been one of these clubs splashing the cash on making the squad better in all departments.. we've been replacing players

Carroll was never an option until Torres 2 weeks after saying he was happy handed in a transfer request,

people expected too much this season, although it still has been even worse than what i expected.

Every player that isnt a Cayabe, Demba Ba or Cisse will be deemed mediocre...
We bought young players mainly that havnt hit their peak yet.
Suarez is a class act if not a bit of a controversial figure. Good Buy
Carroll has struggled but in the past 2 months he has shown his quality and finally found his feet. Good Buy
Adam has been decent for us. Fans dont like him but he has delivered. Good Buy
Henderson
shows glimpses of quality. Has plenty of time to develop. Good Buy
Downing creates plenty of crosses. Poor finishing by team mates have let him down. Good Buy
Enrique has been our best attacking LB in recent years. Nuff said. Good Buy

Just because we picked up players for large price tags it doesnt mean there mediocre. Transfer prices were inflated but by no means are they flops. And its well known that players often need a few months/a year until they settle in.
Clubs spend what they have available to them on the players intrested in joining. Theres no point saying Liverpool should have signed somebody like Aguero instead of Carroll. Because in truth Aguero never would have joined us. Just sayin...

Totally agree, although people dont look at the full picture, we've not been one of these clubs splashing the cash on making the squad better in all departments.. we've been replacing players

Carroll was never an option until Torres 2 weeks after saying he was happy handed in a transfer request,

people expected too much this season, although it still has been even worse than what i expected.

Torres handed it in after Comolli initally blew the Suarez deal, club had known for months they had to show they were going in the right direction for lose him.

Carroll had been seen for sometime, and given that he was injured, should have been bought in january.

Carroll has struggled but in the past 2 months he has shown his quality and finally found his feet. Good Buy
Henderson
Downing creates plenty of crosses. Poor finishing by team mates have let him down. Good Buy

Just because we picked up players for large price tags it doesnt mean there mediocre. Transfer prices were inflated but by no means are they flops. And its well known that players often need a few months/a year until they settle in.
Clubs spend what they have available to them on the players intrested in joining. Theres no point saying Liverpool should have signed somebody like Aguero instead of Carroll. Because in truth Aguero never would have joined us. Just sayin...

Suarez was a good buy, Adam is not a good buy, although he was cheap so that doesn't hurt too much. Downing was a terrible buy, especially at 20m, he'd have been a bad buy at 5m, Carroll was a bad buy, considering he was injured, and you paid 35m, would have paid half that in the summer, though he looks like he is coming good. Enrique was a good buy and the jury is most definitely out on Henderson. Overall, mediocre.

Henderson

Suarez - doesn't score enough goals to justify 22m price tag. A lot of baggage also. good player though. Decent/good buy.
Carroll - player with potential, but others like Llorente and Giroud could have been bought for the same price or lower. Decent buy.
Adam - been pretty poor whenever I've seen him. Tries to take too many players on and also likes the hollywood pass. Poor buy.
Henderson - doesn't even have a position. Excels at nothing. 20m? Poor buy.
Downing - 0 goals and 0 assists. 20m - do I need to say any more? Poor buy.
Enrique - started well, dropped off. Good player though. Good buy.

Of course the fee comes into a signing. Why not go round signing Heskey for 180m if you can afford it?

Last edited:
Yes Dalglish is rumours, but it is everywhere!

When there is that talk on the subject, it usually has a credible source.. Usually..

Not sure hwo i would react though, maybe he deserves another season, but this season has been poor

Yes Dalglish is rumours, but it is everywhere!

When there is that talk on the subject, it usually has a credible source.. Usually..

Not sure hwo i would react though, maybe he deserves another season, but this season has been poor

Dalglish out (maybe to a board position).

Roberto Martinez (definitely can't see him turning Liverpool down) or Andre Villas-Boas (probably wouldn't come) in as manager.

Henderson

I read somewhere (when assessing who England should bring to the Euro's) Downing's cross completion rate was around 20%. Not good.

Suarez was a good buy, Adam is not a good buy, although he was cheap so that doesn't hurt too much. Downing was a terrible buy, especially at 20m, he'd have been a bad buy at 5m, Carroll was a bad buy, considering he was injured, and you paid 35m, would have paid half that in the summer, though he looks like he is coming good. Enrique was a good buy and the jury is most definitely out on Henderson. Overall, mediocre.

Suarez - doesn't score enough goals to justify 22m price tag. A lot of baggage also. Decent buy.
Carroll - player with potential, but others like Llorente and Giroud could have been bought for the same price or lower. Decent buy.
Adam - been pretty poor whenever I've seen him. Tries to take too many players on and also likes the hollywood pass. Poor buy.
Henderson - doesn't even have a position. Excels at nothing. 20m? Poor buy.
Downing - 0 goals and 0 assists. 20m - do I need to say any more? Poor buy.
Enrique - started well, dropped off. Good player though. Good buy.

Of course the fee comes into a signing. Why not go round signing Heskey for 180m if you can afford it?

Suarez a goal every 2 games ( 17 in 34 ), creates so much for the team... only one ill say has been a brilliant buy.
Adam 2 goals and 10 Assists been injured since march not a bad return, too harshly slated
Downing last season was one of the best wingers in the league, created and scored so many for Villa, price tag too much though
Carroll purely for the price was poor, shown he can do something but 15-20 mil at the max..
Enrique good
Henderson still to prove it

Dalglish out (maybe to a board position).

Roberto Martinez (definitely can't see him turning Liverpool down) or Andre Villas-Boas (probably wouldn't come) in as manager.

Villas Boas for me, think it would be perfect for him, we play similar football to how he wants to play and it will be a chance for him to go to a big english club, not as big as we used to be, but still a known team.

If Arsenal signed a player for 20m+ I'd expect them to be class and walk straight into the side.

Back