The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Who, Kenny?

We finished 8th. Hardly "just narrowly escaped relegation" is it? Plus, Carling Cup Winners, and were in the FA Cup Final. Deserves another season.

Pretty sure he means Martinez.

You also said Carroll was least technically gifted player you've seen. You need to look past the surface.

Fair play. you've got me there... another thing i may be proved wrong about although he has done nothing special so far

Anyone know when/ if Joe Cole is coming back? I can't imagine there are many clubs who will be willing to match his £6,000,000 p/yr contract... Although, we're paying most of it anyway! Maybe he deserves another chance?

Also, if KK does go, it sucks that he'll be going out like this..

Although, my top three choices for who will replace him would be: AVB, Roberto Martinez, or Rafa. In no particular order.

Why do you want Roberto Martinez? Explain to me what he has actually done to warrant getting a move to one of the most successful clubs in England? In what way have Wigan actually progressed in any particular way since he has been there?

AVB I'm definitely in favour of and ok to Rafa coming back.

Why do you want Roberto Martinez? Explain to me what he has actually done to warrant getting a move to one of the most successful clubs in England? In what way have Wigan actually progressed in any particular way since he has been there?

AVB I'm definitely in favour of and ok to Rafa coming back.

Scroll up and read what Mike posted, I can't put it much better than that.

Also, I don't think it's really possible for Wigan to progress, the fact they have survived the past few years while playing attractive football is mostly down to Martinez, he's a very talented manager.

Last edited:

Also, I don't think it's really possibly for Wigan to progress, the fact they have survived the past few years while playing attractive football is mostly down to Martinez, he's a very talented manager.

People are saying, I'll wait till he goes somewhere else. Well by the time he moves to a bigger club, you'll never get near him.

Also, I don't think it's really possibly for Wigan to progress, the fact they have survived the past few years while playing attractive football is mostly down to Martinez, he's a very talented manager.

Funny you say that and I actually just did. Smells of a Man United fan thinking only about how great a feeder club Wigan are for the bigger teams (Antonio Valencia sprang straight to mind when reading what he put). I don't see any difference between Paul Jewell and Martinez (infact, Jewell even has a better record, on all fronts - points, goals scored and goal difference), they were both as successful with Wigan and both had a decent reputation in the lower leagues.

Martinez is very much flavour of the month because of Wigan's amazing run. If we're looking for a club who, to sum up Mike's post plays great attacking play without picking up too many points just out of principle, then we might as well shortlist Ian Holloway whilst we're at it.

When I think of Wigan under Martinez I think of a team in permanent relegation threatened status with great flair and creativity and having absolutely no defensive positioning sense whatsoever and without being particularly lethal in front of goal (also having a very negative goal difference every season!)

Lambert and Rodgers, in one season, have already proven that they are better managers with smaller budgets and worse teams, than Martinez has in the 3 years he's been in the prem.

I'd also be interested Mike to know if you'd have Martinez at United when Fergie goes. Honest answer please mate.

1. Holloway got relegated while doing it.

2. United can attract bigger names.

It was only a month ago Martinez wasn't event being talked about and wigan were certain to go down

they do it every year where for a month the look brilliant, but why does it take until the last month to do this, rest of the season they looked very poor

i agree he is a decent manager, i do like his style, i just would not risk him as Liverpool manager on what he has done at wigan

It was only a month ago Martinez wasn't event being talked about and wigan were certain to go down

they do it every year where for a month the look brilliant, but why does it take until the last month to do this, rest of the season they looked very poor

i agree he is a decent manager, i do like his style, i just would not risk him as Liverpool manager on what he has done at wigan

not really. They played great football all season long, but only scored regularly recently.

not really. They played great football all season long, but only scored regularly recently.

great football needs results to go with it, defence was woeful, very open and was the reason why they were down there

Liverpool have played great football most the matches i have seen, but it's about results

Funny you say that and I actually just did. Smells of a Man United fan thinking only about how great a feeder club Wigan are for the bigger teams (Antonio Valencia sprang straight to mind when reading what he put). I don't see any difference between Paul Jewell and Martinez (infact, Jewell even has a better record, on all fronts - points, goals scored and goal difference), they were both as successful with Wigan and both had a decent reputation in the lower leagues.

Martinez is very much flavour of the month because of Wigan's amazing run. If we're looking for a club who, to sum up Mike's post plays great attacking play without picking up too many points just out of principle, then we might as well shortlist Ian Holloway whilst we're at it.

When I think of Wigan under Martinez I think of a team in permanent relegation threatened status with great flair and creativity and having absolutely no defensive positioning sense whatsoever and without being particularly lethal in front of goal (also having a very negative goal difference every season!)

Lambert and Rodgers, in one season, have already proven that they are better managers with smaller budgets and worse teams, than Martinez has in the 3 years he's been in the prem.

Interesing to see you decided to make a completely flawed assumption as to why i said what i did. Never assume, it makes you look silly.

Rumours that we're not going to spend much this year because of last year's failures...

Let's not dilly-dally in the transfer market. Back him or sack him.

Rumours that we're not going to spend much this year because of last year's failures...

Let's not dilly-dally in the transfer market. Back him or sack him.

Not down to the "failures" as such, but simply because of finances.

In fairness I'm basing it on how it can translate to Liverpool.

Interesing to see you decided to make a completely flawed assumption as to why i said what i did. Never assume, it makes you look silly.

That's kind of a politician's answer really isn't it? You haven't actually answered any of my perfectly valid points. Seriously, Jewell has a better record than Martinez. So does Lambert and Rodgers this season operating on smaller incomes and playing similar styles. No one is considering them yet for a big job.

Anyway, all seems to be a pointless, Kenny rumours dying down for now.

1. Holloway got relegated while doing it.

2. United can attract bigger names.

Holloway done exceptional to get them up in the first place to the Premier League, despite much better teams in the Championship. He has almost done it again this season.

Also regarding your comment about him getting them relegated when they were in the Premier League, yes he did, but there was no shame because their squad was by far the worst and Holloway done a good job even to give them a fighting chance up to the last game of the season, no pundits expected them to have any hope at all.

Back