The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Gutted if AVB goes to you lot, should have given him time at Chelsea. Then again we might not have been in the Champions League final, future success or immediate success?

Given time he could easily turn Liverpool around, scary thought.

AVB had a hard time with the veterans at Chelsea. Terry, Lampard, Cole, and Drogba appear to be more temperamental than Gerrard, Johnson, and Reina. Perhaps AVB will have a better time at Liverpool and do good things rebuilding the squad.

Would be good if AVB were head coach and Rafa Benitez were assistant coach or vice versa.

Rafa is a fan favourite but so was King Kenny, perhaps going with someone like AVB will be better. Rafa has to contend with a CL title at anfield already, so I wouldnt want to return considering what happened to Kenny.

Think a lot of people would sour on AVB if they had to work with him. Don't know if any of the Chelsea supporters on here have any contacts with people who did while he was there, but there's some stories told which put things in a slightly different perspective. Not an easy job for him by any means. Just no need to be a **** while doing it.

Its forever changing though, think its safe to say media and Journo's know little about whats happening, seemed last night everything was pointing towards AvB

Now its saying he is unlikely to be named manager after talks

Hate waiting around for things like these haha

Big few weeks for the club

New manger, *** man, director of football, press officer, chief executive all being appointed

I'm really not sure if we should go back to Rafa... He's had his time, do we really need to give another manager a second spell? Also, I think the owners want to make their own stamp on the club now, I mean, would they have gone on a sacking spree just to start re-hiring old staff?

My choice would probably be AVB, although, I didn't like his attitude at Chelsea, hopefully he's changed.. Well, whatever happens, it's obvious the owners are doing a good job of keeping it quiet, nobody knows what's going on! Seems we have only approached AVB, maybe he has turned us down?

Jurgen Klopp would be a great appointment, not going to happen, though. Fabio Capello seems to have had his odd cut in half and is now at 10/1.. Not really the sort of manager we're looking for at all, so not sure why there's so much money going there?

Gutted Steve Clarke left. :/

Last edited:
****** ****, this has all degenerated into a pretty picture.

There's a fine balance between choosing carefully and appointing them quickly, here. The more time the manager has to prepare, the better he should perform. The wrong manager, however...

****** ****, this has all degenerated into a pretty picture.

There's a fine balance between choosing carefully and appointing them quickly, here. The more time the manager has to prepare, the better he should perform. The wrong manager, however...

Surely for a club like Liverpool AVB would be perfect, he would have a lot more freedom than he did at Chelsea from the owners. I think he could do a good job there, although I am not convinced he would want the Liverpool job.

Think a lot of people would sour on AVB if they had to work with him. Don't know if any of the Chelsea supporters on here have any contacts with people who did while he was there, but there's some stories told which put things in a slightly different perspective. Not an easy job for him by any means. Just no need to be a **** while doing it.

Agreed. The idea of AVB appeals to a lot of people. Young, tactically astute, classy, student of Mourinho and a European Champion. Sounds like a ideal managerial appointment for a club like Liverpool looking to pick themselves up after a disappointing season and desperately in need of rejuvenation and excitement

His tenure at Chelsea does put things in a different perspective. AVB and the Chelsea squad was incompatible as we all know from the media attention this story got. AVB did not help matters by totally banishing Anelka and Alex from the Cobham which deeply divided the squad. He probably felt that he was sending a message to the players that if they did not perform well then they would share the same fate.

In reality it turned the squad against him. I mean who would you rather support. A young man who has achieved nothing at the club and been here for only 6 months or 2 players who you have shared a dressing room with for 3-4 years and have been instrumental in the clubs success only to be unfairly treated

Another aspect is how he benched the 'older' players. While in hindsight, that may have been a sound decision but as it came to light later, he never explained to them why exactly were they being benched. To make matters worse, players like Lampard were actually playing well and scoring goals only to find themselves on the bench the next game with no explanation to accompany them. If Lampard did not suit AVBs system, then its the job of the manager to make that clear to the player

Also his legacy at Chelsea will be further tarnished when people see what RDM achieved with the exact same group of players. As well as how players such as Ramires, long considered to be loyal to AVB, came out and said RDM returned the confidence to the squad

Also a note of some concern was the players he wanted. If reports are to be believed he wanted to pursue the likes of Hulk and Cavani, by no means cheap players. At Chelsea he could afford to make such a demand but FSG would never entertain that sort of transfer especially after their massive outlay last summer

Some people may point to the fact that Chelsea's arrogant senior players and Roman severely hindered AVB's ability to obtain success at the club .. A story which most media outlets inevitably take up whenever something goes wrong at the club, AVB will definitely have to refine his managerial style if he wants to avoid the fiasco that was Chelsea

Surely for a club like Liverpool AVB would be perfect, he would have a lot more freedom than he did at Chelsea from the owners. I think he could do a good job there, although I am not convinced he would want the Liverpool job.

He actually had a lot of freedom at Chelsea. He worked purely with Roman on transfers and Roman went after very target AVB wanted. Mata, Romeu etc. spring to mind

What AVB failed to do however was to unite the squad

He actually had a lot of freedom at Chelsea. He worked purely with Roman on transfers and Roman went after very target AVB wanted. Mata, Romeu etc. spring to mind

What AVB failed to do however was to unite the squad

Not sure we heard the whole story, hence the non-disclosure agreement he had to sign. Also he was trying to build something new at Chelsea that is why players like Lampard, Terry etc were being left out.

I can't see how he was given freedom by Roman when he wanted AVB to freshen up the squad and put his own style onto Chelsea (higher defensive line, playing out from the back etc). AVB tried to do all this and Roman expected it to all work in one season or less than that because he never got a whole season in charge.

Not sure we heard the whole story, hence the non-disclosure agreement he had to sign. Also he was trying to build something new at Chelsea that is why players like Lampard, Terry etc were being left out.

I can't see how he was given freedom by Roman when he wanted AVB to freshen up the squad and put his own style onto Chelsea (higher defensive line, playing out from the back etc). AVB tried to do all this and Roman expected it to all work in one season or less than that because he never got a whole season in charge.

Not sure how your first paragraph any ways states that AVB did not have freedom

Plus Roman never expected anything to work in one season, what he did not expect was AVB to lose the squad. That coupled with a horrendous run of form led to his sack. Roman was actually very hurt that he has to resort to sacking AVB. Romeu said that in an interview recently where he said that Roman looked like a man defeated when he met the squad the day after he sacked AVB

If it counts for anything, Liverpool has the best kit of the 2012-2013 season.

There are already jokes out there such as:

YNWA - You'll Never Win Again

Back