The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Agreed, alot of Liverpool's key players seem to have had awful injury problems this season

But you would class it as one of Liverpools worst seasons league wise in history, and one of newcastle's best in recent memory..

Newcastle need to show consistancy for more than one season if they are to be a proven top 5-6 team, like i said before, only time will tell

Not really, when was the last time liverpool showed consistency that they were a top side, your last three finishes are 7th, 6th, 8th. You cannot call yourselves the 6th best side based on ifs.

I think Cabaye/Tiote/Ben Arfa/ Cisse are all players that would get into the Liverpool first team. But I do not think the likes of Adam/ Henderson/ Downing/ Carroll would get into the Newcastle first team.

I would agree Liverpool have the better defence but I prefer Newcastle's midfield and attack.

Not really, when was the last time liverpool showed consistency that they were a top side, your last three finishes are 7th, 6th, 8th. You cannot call yourselves the 6th best side based on ifs.

Liverpool 7th 6th 8th

Newcastle 5th 12th Championship.

Liverpool 7th 6th 8th

Newcastle 5th 12th Championship.

Yup, for two years you were better than them, and right now they are better side than you. 5th best team, as the table says. Who knows what can happen next year (though they are in better shape) but they are the better team.

Yup, for two years you were better than them, and right now they are better side than you. 5th best team, as the table says. Who knows what can happen next year (though they are in better shape) but they are the better team.

we'll agree to disagree

How can anyone argue that Newcastle are better than Liverpool at the moment? :/ Finished 13 points above you in the league. Cabaye, Titoe, Ba, Cisse, HBA, Colo would all walk into your team, and I would say Krul has far outperformed Reina this season. The fact that Newcastle had a decent chance of finishing 3rd coming into the last game of the season, compared to Liverpool being able to finish no higher than 8th, should also be an indication of how the squads are looking.

Comparing our results from three seasons ago is pointless. We have both bought and sold players. That bares no reflection on the current state of both squads.

How can anyone argue that Newcastle are better than Liverpool at the moment? :/ Finished 13 points above you in the league. Cabaye, Titoe, Ba, Cisse, HBA, Colo would all walk into your team, and I would say Krul has far outperformed Reina this season. The fact that Newcastle had a decent chance of finishing 3rd coming into the last game of the season, compared to Liverpool being able to finish no higher than 8th, should also be an indication of how the squads are looking.

Comparing our results from three seasons ago is pointless. We have both bought and sold players. That bares no reflection on the current state of both squads.

We all have opinions, we'll see how good newcastle actually are next year.

We all have opinions, we'll see how good newcastle actually are next year.

You've seen how good they are this year. And that is considerably better than Liverpool.

Everyone has opinions, its what they are based on that gives them weight.

Could quibble with a couple of the player assessments (assuming injury free squads). Can't quibble with your league position.

-----

Don't think it's scattergun Mike. Half of it's bullshit PR (we're a big club, we asked about Pep nonsense). Other half is finding someone who'll work under a specific remit. The two halves are clear as day.

What are you talking about? It's pretty obvious Milan is still the best team in the world after that 1994 CL final win.

What would people's Newcastle/Liverpool line ups be providing Everyone is fully fit... ( doesnt mean anything just wondering )

Mine would be:

Reina
Johnson - Agger - Skrtel - Santon
Lucas - Tiote/Cabaye
Ben Arfa - Gerrard - Suarez
Cisse

LB - Enrique form has dipped quite alot, santon impressed me

CDM - Lucas has to be there for me, meaning one of tiote/cabaye.. which is tough

Not chose Ba, because since Cisse has come, he hasn't looked the same playing wider

Not chose Collocini because a fully fit Agger is one of the better Cb's in the league, Skrtel has been solid this year

Only thing i will disagree with is this big cash injection, the money came from key players being sold, Henry only added 35 million to that, and compared to todays spending it is not enough

Well he cleared you debts didnt he? Also 35m is much money to give for normal owner. Have you seen Kroenke clear Arsenal debts or dip in his own pocket to give us 35m.

I'm not going to argue that Newcastle have played better than we have this season and deserve to be where they are, and to be quite honest I've been happy for them, the fans deserve it, was rooting for you to get 4th. However, I'd take Cabaye, Tiote, Ba, Cissé and Hatem Ben Arfa, but not so keen on Colo. Krul has not outperformed Reina this season, infact he has kept less clean sheets and let in more goals so that can't be right can it. He is a quality keeper though, but if anything, we would have lost even more games without Reina and some key saves he has made.

Could quibble with a couple of the player assessments (assuming injury free squads). Can't quibble with your league position.

-----

Don't think it's scattergun Mike. Half of it's bullshit PR (we're a big club, we asked about Pep nonsense). Other half is finding someone who'll work under a specific remit. The two halves are clear as day.

Fair, I dont get to see as much of the inner workings as you, but from the outside it looks scattergun. Bit confused as to what the PR is meant to achieve though.

Fair, I dont get to see as much of the inner workings as you, but from the outside it looks scattergun. Bit confused as to what the PR is meant to achieve though.

'Liverpool approach Guardiola and Capello'. Headline grabbing. Anyone who follows the game very closely as some of you lads in here do know the difference about asking about availability and having a realistic chance of securing a deal. Remember the little French club which faxed through to Barca about Messi? ;) Other people? Maybe not so much.

It's also about maintaining the 'image' of the club. Indicating ambition etc.

Same with the 'interview process'. It's meant to show that they're being careful and deliberate. Anyone who thinks about it for a second will realise that it greatly reduces the number of potential candidates because many of those currently in a job don't want to foul their own nest on the offchance of getting the Liverpool one (there is a plus side though - anyone who is currently in employment who pushes for it is obviously determined to come to Liverpool).

Throw in Ayre confirming that the next 'manager' will have a greatly reduced remit to the one a Liverpool manager would be used to having and it's really a very specific process set up to identify/confirm which is the best out of maybe two or three candidates.

As a sports journalist in the local area, and someone who spoke to Kenny just this evening on his holiday I'd like to dispel some myths currently flying around the club, or clarify some things that are going around as 'rumours'
(this will just be things that have been agreed that I may share)

And before my credentials are doubted check out my twitter @ojallsports and you will see I've picked up big things recently including knowing about Roy Hodgson for England many many weeks ago,

Anyway, in terms of rumours, Kenny did not fly to Boston with his job 'in the balance' he had been informed of their decision before he and Steve Clarke left for new England. The intentions of the trip was for Kenny to have a last opportunity to speak about the season nd for him to discuss hi future role at the club.

He was offered a severance package, which he rejected as it would 'take a significant chunk out of ny summer deals.' this is also the same for Damien Camoli who also turned down a severance package.

Steve Clarke did offer his resignation to Fenway Sports Group, which was rejected, as they don't want any knee-jerk reactions at the club, as well as the wish for him to meet the new manager before he makes his final decision.

The last hour of the meeting was Kenny with Fenway sports group coming up with a twenty five point plan on, in his eyes, the best way for the club to be taken forward. At this point he DID know he wasn't too be in charge (which is truly the mark of the man)

In response to the question of particular names he believed could successfully do the job, he replied 'not to many men are big enough to handle the club.'

I can say now that he is categorically ruled out, that not as HIS choice. But using the remit set by FSG Jenny's believed Brendan Rodgers had an attitude big enough to 'handle the club'

I don't know if there are anymore rumours people need commenting on, if people have questions ask away and I will do my best to comment

Oh I see. You're a Twitter 'ITK' n00b?

Oh I see. You're a Twitter 'ITK' n00b?

Tbh to these twitter ITK noobs, they usually do get alot right, or at least the one's i follow anyway... alot of stuff regarding liverpool i have known before anyone thanks to these journo's on twitter

Back