The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Could also do the same with a 4-2-3-1. But have been saying for an age than Suarez should be an inside forward.
Agreed. Suarez doesn't have the poacher's ability he shown in Holland, in England for some reason. Kind of wasted up there. However on the left he would thrive, he beats his men for fun and dribbles through brick walls. Also heard he completed the most successful dribbles last season throughout the top 5 European countries, second only to Messi.

I am really unsure of who i would like as the next manager, I hope its not Martinez as i feel that is a backwards step and deja vu with Roy Hodgson. We need a manager that is proven at a big club (yes i still think we are a big club lol). Not someone who has managed to keep a struggling team in the premier league.. There are some managers that are suited to lower clubs like Big Sam.

AVB.... not sure what to think of him (when i get time i will read the article that LFCMarshall posted), more than anything do we want a manager that is going to be referred to by his initials all the time :/

I agree with Ride The Walruss, someone with Rafa's tactical knowledge would work, would like to see him back, but i cant see them bringing him back. He had one poor season, and that was when he was having to deal with the owners washing their laundry in public.... maybe FSG would let him get on with the job like he did when Parry was around.

At the end of the day we cannot attract the big names until we get back in to the CL.... but we dont seem to be able to get there without a big name manager....

Agreed. Suarez doesn't have the poacher's ability he shown in Holland, in England for some reason. Kind of wasted up there. However on the left he would thrive, he beats his men for fun and dribbles through brick walls. Also heard he completed the most successful dribbles last season throughout the top 5 European countries, second only to Messi.

Now Rafa would play him as an inside forward... thats where he played Cisse, Keane, Bellamy and Kuyt.... lol - but yes maybe having suarez there and having someone like bellamy on the other side (someone who can play 2 games in a row...) and then maybe carroll will get better service? But i feel we have not had a "goal poacher" as such since Fowler and Owen.

He and Welbeck have the same problem when up against two defenders as strikers, but when you shift them wide, you get them attacking the weak side of a fullback one on one, while giving themselves a natural angle on goal.

Could also do the same with a 4-2-3-1. But have been saying for an age than Suarez should be an inside forward.

Funnily enough I've just won the prem with pool with Suarez playing half the season as an inside forward... Not quite as good as Hamsik there but very able nonetheless! I still think he'd be even better as a second striker/ deep lying forward, but we'd need to bring in another player who can actually finish to do this.

Now Rafa would play him as an inside forward... thats where he played Cisse, Keane, Bellamy and Kuyt.... lol - but yes maybe having suarez there and having someone like bellamy on the other side (someone who can play 2 games in a row...) and then maybe carroll will get better service? But i feel we have not had a "goal poacher" as such since Fowler and Owen.

I'm afraid Rafa was always a bit of dream for fans. Never any real source for him. Agreed on your points though.
AVB's odds dropping massively, probably just because of the twitter rumour though.

And LVG being talked about by Barrett.

Thought Torres did that part quite well personally. He would have been awesome with Suarez as second striker as just mentioned. Was never to be... alas.

Van Gaal is just hugely entertaining, as he can be very unorthodox.

Thought Torres did that part quite well personally. He would have been awesome with Suarez as second striker as just mentioned. Was never to be... alas.

I think maybe my conscious was trying to block him out.... no sure why :P lol

I'm afraid Rafa was always a bit of dream for fans. Never any real source for him. Agreed on your points though.
AVB's odds dropping massively, probably just because of the twitter rumour though.

And LVG being talked about by Barrett.

looks like Martinez still favourite at moment :(

Was actually going to PM you about this. I think its mental, but it could actually work really well. AVB and Van Gaal, could be a quality duo there.

Also what do you know about Billy Hogan? Apparently set to be the commercial director. And will the club make any permanent approach to Dein?

Would imagine Dein is exceptionally unlikely. Ayre is reported to have been given increased powers so he'll be directly responsible for transfer negotiations and functioning almost like a traditional CEO now.

Billy Hogan is MD of the marketing arm of FSG (which used to be called FSG but is now called FSM). Was involved with the Warrior deal. FSM's role in FSG overall is very interesting. FSG don't take money directly out of their sports stuff, but rely on FSM generating a 'cut' on deals done on their behalf (amongst other things such as their own tv station). Him as commercial director is interesting in that regard. Would suggest that it's full steam ahead on selling 'the brand' and a way for them to build contacts within the Asian markets which drew them to buying us in the first place.

Proposed structure is pretty much as you know already. Exact remits would be interesting to know. One thing to consider when looking at the managerial candidates is that FSG aren't looking for a traditional English manager by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, they're after a man with strong coaching skills and tactical nouse. Process seems designed to identify the best of two or three candidates on that score.

Van Gaal is a nutter. He'd cause a riot in an empty room. I like him. Whether he'll work in a collegiate, collective fashion is something which would concern me. Who knows though? In many ways, that General Manager position is the critical one for the long term but very few names being mooted for who will get it.

Last edited:
It may just be me but what happened to a club having a manager, you know the one that coaches the team, chooses tactics, buys and sells players that he wants... Why do clubs now have to have some general manager/technical director etc and then a "coach" ?

Surely the guy that picks the team should be the one that chooses the players that he wants in his squad... There is only so much a manager can coach and do with tactics if he doesn't get the players he wants to be part of his tactics

By the way I just read that back and thought to myself... How long will it be before Football Manager is replaced with two versions..... General Manager 2013 and Football Coach 2013 anyone? Lol

It may just be me but what happened to a club having a manager, you know the one that coaches the team, chooses tactics, buys and sells players that he wants... Why do clubs now have to have some general manager/technical director etc and then a "coach" ?

Surely the guy that picks the team should be the one that chooses the players that he wants in his squad... There is only so much a manager can coach and do with tactics if he doesn't get the players he wants to be part of his tactics

In part, it's a reflection of how football has turned into big business. And in part, most English managers never had that level of control anyway - there was always a CEO/MD/Director involved at some level. Suppose it's also a reflection of the importance of having a clear direction. For the big clubs now any managerial change which results in major player turnover really dents their FFP figures. So it's about minimising the risk of that by having someone checking the manager's homework, by having someone with football knowledge in a long-term role at the club who isn't judged on short-term results. There's also an element of copying what are perceived to be successful formulae - whether that be Bayern Munich, Barcelona or Lyon.

It's a huge change for Liverpool given that our managers are a few bits of silverware from near messianic status. We are a manager's club. Whether this will work is something which represents a huge gamble. Increasingly supporters are feeling like they're being treated like 'consumers', increasingly people turn up to a football match to be entertained rather than support so removing that last element of 'connection' to a multi-national sports brand (because that's what they are now) may be the final straw for many.

I just hope that a GM or TD does what they are supposed to do and work with the manager/coach. Let the manager draw up a short list of targets and leave it to the GM to handle the transfer. If it ends up being like it was at Newcastle a few years back where players were supposedly being bought in and presented to the Manager it will only fail. What ever happens it needs to be done right from the offset, if a GM is being brought in alongside a Manager then they both need to be able to work together do consultations between the two before signing them.

Alan Shearer today tipped Andy Carroll to pick up where he left off in 2011-12 and make an impact for England at this summer's European Championships.
20263_4f8980e762b01461859635.jpg

After a commanding end to the season, the Liverpool striker was included in manager Roy Hodgson's Three Lions squad for the finals in Poland and Ukraine next month.
And former England and Newcastle striker Shearer believes Carroll has the ability to leave a lasting impression on the tournament.
"He has finished the season well," he said. "The Andy Carroll that I saw coming on against Chelsea in the FA Cup final was the Andy Carroll I have seen week in and week out at Newcastle.
"He was bullying defenders, scoring goals, running the channels. The ability is there."
Carroll ended the campaign with three goals in seven appearances, but that statistic only tells half the story with the No.9 also turning in a series of displays that were described as 'unplayable'.
Shearer believes those performances offered just a glimpse of the striker's true potential.

[h=1]The video you selected is only available to LFCTV Online members. You are now watching our Preview video, login or click here to sign up.[/h]
video-play-btn.png
Carroll heads late winner

He added: "People forget that the whole system at Newcastle was designed for Andy. That was always the first movement.
"Age is on his side. He absolutely has time. I hope he can build a partnership with Luis Suarez that's there for many years because he's a good lad, Andy.
"He wants to improve and he wants to play. I don't think that Liverpool should change everything just for one player, Liverpool are bigger than that.
"When you go into the team you want chances as a forward and he probably hasn't had as many as he would have liked."

Back