The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Alan Shearer today tipped Andy Carroll to pick up where he left off in 2011-12 and make an impact for England at this summer's European Championships.
20263_4f8980e762b01461859635.jpg

After a commanding end to the season, the Liverpool striker was included in manager Roy Hodgson's Three Lions squad for the finals in Poland and Ukraine next month.
And former England and Newcastle striker Shearer believes Carroll has the ability to leave a lasting impression on the tournament.
"He has finished the season well," he said. "The Andy Carroll that I saw coming on against Chelsea in the FA Cup final was the Andy Carroll I have seen week in and week out at Newcastle.
"He was bullying defenders, scoring goals, running the channels. The ability is there."
Carroll ended the campaign with three goals in seven appearances, but that statistic only tells half the story with the No.9 also turning in a series of displays that were described as 'unplayable'.
Shearer believes those performances offered just a glimpse of the striker's true potential.

The video you selected is only available to LFCTV Online members. You are now watching our Preview video, login or click here to sign up.

video-play-btn.png
Carroll heads late winner

He added: "People forget that the whole system at Newcastle was designed for Andy. That was always the first movement.
"Age is on his side. He absolutely has time. I hope he can build a partnership with Luis Suarez that's there for many years because he's a good lad, Andy.
"He wants to improve and he wants to play. I don't think that Liverpool should change everything just for one player, Liverpool are bigger than that.
"When you go into the team you want chances as a forward and he probably hasn't had as many as he would have liked."

Alan Shearer also said no one had heard of Ben Arfa lol. I do think Carroll can be decent this summer though with the correct service.

Just very open about what is happening, happy to admit that Martinez is in Miami, Talking right now ETC

better to be done behind closed doors

Not his problem though, Liverpool's concerns are not his concerns.

Just very open about what is happening, happy to admit that Martinez is in Miami, Talking right now ETC

better to be done behind closed doors

But he currently pays the man, he is keeping the fans of his side updated. His priorities are not Liverpool and what's best for Liverpool.

I'm really surprised Liverpool are even considering Martinez, yes he has saved Wigan from relegation each of the past two seasons but he was the man that got them into that trouble in the first place. I'm not saying he is a bad manager and if he does go to Liverpool I really hope he proves me wrong. I just think there are way better choices.

I'm really surprised Liverpool are even considering Martinez, yes he has saved Wigan from relegation each of the past two seasons but he was the man that got them into that trouble in the first place. I'm not saying he is a bad manager and if he does go to Liverpool I really hope he proves me wrong. I just think there are way better choices.

I think he has potential, at Wigan the players they have are very poor and their better players leave within one year. I think his methods, eye for a bargain and contacts make him a good choice.

People tend to forget how small Wigan are as a club, the football he has got them producing is absolutely brilliant. For them to still be in the Premier League is an achievement in itself.

I understand that which is why I think he should stay at Wigan or either go to Aston Villa. Liverpool supporters are going to turn on him way quicker than they did Hodgson when he had them down near relegation. He has done an extraordinary job at Wigan.

Why not try something like Roberto Martinez as manager and Van Gaal as managing director

Why not try something like Roberto Martinez as manager and Van Gaal as managing director

Because as Whelen said Martinez likes full control so having someone work over his head wouldn't work. That's one reason why i think Hodgson was destined for bad times even before he took a training session with them because "King Kenny" was up stairs.

Because as Whelen said Martinez likes full control so having someone work over his head wouldn't work. That's one reason why i think Hodgson was destined for bad times even before he took a training session with them because "King Kenny" was up stairs.

Good point, but surely someone of Van Gaal's credentials could just take the manager's post with no managing director.

But the Structure of liverpool will be:

General Manager
Technical Director
Head Coach

Good point, but surely someone of Van Gaal's credentials could just take the manager's post with no managing director.

If Liverpool want Van Gaal then he should be offered the managers position i believe.

Back