The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Not a chance with Klopp, already ruled himself out, building something great at Dortmund, a better team and got CL football than Liverpool at the moment as well.

Ride the Walrus said the same thing...

Net spend was about 35 million. But he still laid out close to 100 million last summer alone, and overall not very well. Even with money recouped thats still wasteful. The money wasnt there to be thrown away, as has been shown by heads rolling, financial figures, and your extrapolated likely budget this summer.

I think there are too many knee-jerk reactions. Sometimes it takes a while for a player to settle in at a new club - i myself will give the new players one more season to prove their worth, but by all means strengthen the squad around them.

Personally i thought Enrique was a great buy, Bellamy was a genius aquisition, henderson started to get better towards the end of the season, so should bode well for next season. Carroll again i think he will improve next season now he has settled and is "reported" to be working hard on his game and physique. The one major buy that i think has failed is Downing, I myself would rather have Maxi playing than him.

So my point being that i dont think that ALL dalglish's signings should be labelled as failures...

Im not saying i think we'll get Klopp, im just saying what the rumours were

they're forever changing.

I think there are too many knee-jerk reactions. Sometimes it takes a while for a player to settle in at a new club - i myself will give the new players one more season to prove their worth, but by all means strengthen the squad around them.

Personally i thought Enrique was a great buy, Bellamy was a genius aquisition, henderson started to get better towards the end of the season, so should bode well for next season. Carroll again i think he will improve next season now he has settled and is "reported" to be working hard on his game and physique. The one major buy that i think has failed is Downing, I myself would rather have Maxi playing than him.

So my point being that i dont think that ALL dalglish's signings should be labelled as failures...

Id add Adam to a decent sining category aswell, 10 assists and 2 goals before getting injured... i know he went really bad for around a month, but he was our one player who tried the balls and tried these defence cutting passes.. shows in his assists

Id add Adam to a decent sining category aswell, 10 assists and 2 goals before getting injured... i know he went really bad for around a month, but he was our one player who tried the balls and tried these defence cutting passes.. shows in his assists

Thanks LFCMarshall I thought I had missed someone out. I think he did well when Gerrard was out, but still think he needs to improve somewhat to be a regular in the team. He was perceived to be the one of the best with free-kicks and corners... but what i saw he was forever hitting the first defender. Time will tell with all the latest signings, if they can stay injury free and have a good pre-season under the guidance of who ever may be the manager, then we shall see how well the have improved.

None of this is knee jerk

Henderson, jury out
Carroll, should never have been bought then, especially when injured, ridiculous price, would have paid half that in summer, would have reduced pressure on him.
Downing, poor by any figure you put on him
Enrique, outstanding
Adam, very mediocre, even worse once lucas was lost. Classic case of stats padding out his poor overall performances

Alot of it was needless hollywood ball stuff.

Alot of it was needless hollywood ball stuff.

Agreed, but ive got so use to Henderson playing it easily constantly, downing not taking people on and playing defensively,

it was nice to see Adam trying to get the ball forward, admittedly he wasn't outstanding but it was nice to see for once

None of this is knee jerk

Henderson, jury out
Carroll, should never have been bought then, especially when injured, ridiculous price, would have paid half that in summer, would have reduced pressure on him.
Downing, poor by any figure you put on him
Enrique, outstanding
Adam, very mediocre, even worse once lucas was lost. Classic case of stats padding out his poor overall performances

Well i'm sure there are many players who in the past have struggled on their first season with a new club and come good from season 2 onwards... hence why i said knee-jerk... Most signings have only had one full season under their belts at Liverpool. If they are still not proving their worth as we move towards the middle of next season then i would the label them as not good enough

And it will also depend on how the new manager plays the football, they may fit in better to the new guys style of playing...

Well i'm sure there are many players who in the past have struggled on their first season with a new club and come good from season 2 onwards... hence why i said knee-jerk... Most signings have only had one full season under their belts at Liverpool. If they are still not proving their worth as we move towards the middle of next season then i would the label them as not good enough

And it will also depend on how the new manager plays the football, they may fit in better to the new guys style of playing...

They havent been good enough, the ones i pointed out, doesnt mean they wont get better. But they still havent been good enough. I would not call it a good spend by any means.

Arguably the biggest player to have been called a 'flop' in his first season in the PL was Drogba. He sure turned that around.

You missed a couple of words out there.... "so far".... ;) lol . FSG when they bought Liverpool said that their transfer policy was to bring in young british/english players who would become the backbone of the team in the future.... I strongly believe that with the right man in the job, these players that have not been good enough so far, will get better and prove their worth in the long term. But as i said in my earlier post - we still need to strengthen the squad around them IF FSG are wanting an immediate return to the CL.

You missed a couple of words out there.... "so far".... ;) lol . FSG when they bought Liverpool said that their transfer policy was to bring in young british/english players who would become the backbone of the team in the future.... I strongly believe that with the right man in the job, these players that have not been good enough so far, will get better and prove their worth in the long term. But as i said in my earlier post - we still need to strengthen the squad around them IF FSG are wanting an immediate return to the CL.

Your target last season was top 4, those were the players brought in, they weren't good enough. And i didnt miss out so far, i never said they cant get better. Equally for 100m spent to get into the top four, it was badly spent since you finished 8th.

Your target last season was top 4, those were the players brought in, they weren't good enough. And i didnt miss out so far, i never said they cant get better. Equally for 100m spent to get into the top four, it was badly spent since you finished 8th.

But for this year it was only a net spend of £35M (total spend of £56M) to get us in the the Top 4..... thats some way short of what the likes of Man City can spend to get them to the title :/

But for this year it was only a net spend of £35M (total spend of £56M) to get us in the the Top 4..... thats some way short of what the likes of Man City can spend to get them to the title :/

But you're not Man City. You cant just throw money at it, and ignore the losses like they can.

Ok, I'm bored and been reading a transfer rumour thingy posted on the Chelsea board from the Guardian . Some of the transfers there are just silly, so I thought it could be discussed in fantasy world.

(Off topic, Sneijder to go for only 20 million... Really??? Bargain of the century
David Luiz to Barca for 30 million??? They aren't soft).

On topic, who is realistic for us and who would you like to see?

Hoilett is mentioned, big green light from me.
Victor Moses? Showed signs of that unfulfilled potential starting to come through last season but not quite good enough for me
Giroud? Yeah would take him, but not for 18 million and think there will be steep competition for him
Belhanda, quoted at 15 million - Should definitely be a target for us
Ricky Van Wolfswilly - Quoted at 15m, can't say why I'm not excited by him... Just seen too many dutchies flop in the prem
Diego Milito - Quoted at 5 million, aged 32 so no return on investment but could still have something to offer, why not.
Roberto Soldado - 25 million. A definite yes, but I think he's out of our reach. If we signed him and no one else this summer, I'd be happy.
Griezmann - 12 million quoted. Good price for his age, looks to be the type of player we still need, could be a good fit.
Gyfli Sigurdsson - Quoted at 10 million. Looks like Swansea have him permanently is sky reports are to be believed. Steal at 10 million

All the above are the ones we are linked to in the article. Can only see maybe four of those that are realistic targets. views on who you would want?

But you're not Man City. You cant just throw money at it, and ignore the losses like they can.

That is very true - hence why their transfer policy was to buy young and build them up for the future, I think FSG were wrong in suggesting LFC had to get in to top 4 given the competition out there. Not when all they can fork out is £35m... Unfortunately we all know the way the game is now, you have to spend big to get success.... and until you get success you cant get the bigger income in to afford to buy big.... unless you have a middle eastern prince as an owner.... or a russian billionnaire lol

That is very true - hence why their transfer policy was to buy young and build them up for the future, I think FSG were wrong in suggesting LFC had to get in to top 4 given the competition out there. Not when all they can fork out is £35m... Unfortunately we all know the way the game is now, you have to spend big to get success.... and until you get success you cant get the bigger income in to afford to buy big.... unless you have a middle eastern prince as an owner.... or a russian billionnaire lol

You didnt fork out 35m, it was much more than that, you just also recouped a lot of money. The choice of targets was not good from the start, better value elsewhere

Back