The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Ah well I'll get behind Martinez I guess. Definitely not my preferred appointment by any standards. At least he'll play positive football. I'll give him ten league games to judge. Harsh?

Immensely harsh and not really understanding where your club is these days!

Says the person who gave Villas-Boas about as much time for a rebuilding job of far greater magnitude. The irony is pretty staggering.

Says the person who gave Villas-Boas about as much time for a rebuilding job of far greater magnitude. The irony is pretty staggering.

I wanted AVB in charge from the start but was very dissapointed he never got rid of anyone in the summer but still backed him. Only started wanting him out when he made Anelka and Alex train with the youth team until he could sell them.

Higher than 15th in any case. But apparently that's the standard we're going for. Dunno if you saw my comments earlier but was really in the AVB camp from the start.

I'll judge him on his signings and 10 games and style of play. The last one shouldn't be an issue, that is one thing I'm in favour of. Just hope he doesn't turn us into Wigan where one minute we can beat a top club 4-0 and then lose to Reading (random club chosen, no offence intended to Reading fans) the next. Of he can take 20 out of 30 points then he should be applauded.

Higher than 15th in any case. But apparently that's the standard we're going for. Dunno if you saw my comments earlier but was really in the AVB camp from the start.

I'll judge him on his signings and 10 games and style of play. The last one shouldn't be an issue, that is one thing I'm in favour of. Just hope he doesn't turn us into Wigan where one minute we can beat a top club 4-0 and then lose to Reading (random club chosen, no offence intended to Reading fans) the next. Of he can take 20 out of 30 points then he should be applauded.

I think he has a great eye for a bargain and has some very good contacts. Obviously i agree where you finished this season was not good enough but i look at the sides who finished above you and all of them will improve. Now you have fallen this far it will make it harder to come back up but it can be done im sure of that.

They do but not with Hodgson, then again as i said it didn't help that KD was up stairs at the time and Martinez won't have that.

Hodgson was initially welcomed with open arms, but it went downhill very, very quickly.

This. Initially he was welcomed and wanted, Liverpool fans changed because the performances were awful, the signings for awful and the results were even worse.

This. Initially he was welcomed and wanted, Liverpool fans changed because the performances were awful, the signings for awful and the results were even worse.

I think Joe Cole was his big signing, no one would have thought he would have done so bad so that's not his fault. Meireles ended up a decent enough signing but his hands were tied with no real money and everything going bad for the club off the field too. They say it shouldn't effect the players and staff but it would do me if my company was having problems and i didn't know what was going to happen.

He has been very successful at other clubs and when he came to Liverpool it was doomed from the start, due to fans wanting KK and the club in general was in a bad place.

I hope Liverpool fans can get behind England though because Liverpool was just not right for him.

He has been very successful at other clubs and when he came to Liverpool it was doomed from the start, due to fans wanting KK and the club in general was in a bad place.

I hope Liverpool fans can get behind England .though because Liverpool was just not right for him

This is assuming Liverpool fans like the national side, which we do not in general.

I think Joe Cole was his big signing, no one would have thought he would have done so bad so that's not his fault. Meireles ended up a decent enough signing but his hands were tied with no real money and everything going bad for the club off the field too. They say it shouldn't effect the players and staff but it would do me if my company was having problems and i didn't know what was going to happen.
results were just unacceptable, problems or not, being 18th in the league is awful and that is the reason we wanted him out, we were initially behind him

I hope Liverpool fans can get behind England though because Liverpool was just not right for him.

He wasn't doomed from the start.. Poor signings, Defensive tactics and awful results cost him his job.. Most liverpool fans were very happy with his appointment at first

Tbh Hodgson or not, ive got no confidence in england at all.. getting out the group will be classed as a success

This is assuming Liverpool fans like the national side, which we do not in general.

Hope this is sarcastic. How can you not like your national team? Disgraceful, get behind England no matter what, Country before Club.

results were just unacceptable, problems or not, being 18th in the league is awful and that is the reason we wanted him out, we were initially behind him

He wasn't doomed from the start.. Poor signings, Defensive tactics and awful results cost him his job.. Most liverpool fans were very happy with his appointment at first

Tbh Hodgson or not, ive got no confidence in england at all.. getting out the group will be classed as a success

Probably best to expect little because then you won't be let down.. but we are a better team than Ukraine and Sweden.

Never been country before club, I support England but if I had to choose... It's Liverpool through and through.

Hope this is sarcastic. How can you not like your national team? Disgraceful, get behind England no matter what, Country before Club.

Probably best to expect little because then you won't be let down.. but we are a better team than Ukraine and Sweden.
Choice between Leeds promotion or England winning Euros? Choose Leeds promotion every time

Well a lot of fans question the team's passion to play for England when they give a poor performance, how can they do that when it seems a lot of fans are more interested in their clubs, maybe players are interested more in their club as well.

Genuinely concerned that we're heading towards hire and fire at a whim at the moment. If FSG put in someone supporters will call for as General Manager above Martinez, then they've made a horrid, horrid mistake should Martinez not get the results leading up to Christmas. Sacking Kenny after a season plays a part there too because it sets their ambition to 4th or get the sack (which is a tad simplistic but it does have some truth to it).

Providing Martinez doesn't screw up addressing supporters then I think people will be patient short of some pretty terrible results. Knives are out for him even before him getting confirmed though so only results will see him through.

Haha, nope. I think you'll find most people from Merseyside could not give a **** about the national side. Club >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> country. Nothing disgraceful about it

Genuinely concerned that we're heading towards hire and fire at a whim at the moment. If FSG put in someone supporters will call for as General Manager above Martinez, then they've made a horrid, horrid mistake should Martinez not get the results leading up to Christmas. Sacking Kenny after a season plays a part there too because it sets their ambition to 4th or get the sack (which is a tad simplistic but it does have some truth to it).

Providing Martinez doesn't screw up addressing supporters then I think people will be patient short of some pretty terrible results. Knives are out for him even before him getting confirmed though so only results will see him through.

So am I the only Liverpool fan who would welcome Martinez to the club? I think he's top quality.

Last edited:
So am I the only Liverpool fan who would welcome Martinez to the club? I think he's top quality.

We're going from appointing proven winners to taking a huge gamble. We're switching from a manager to a head coach. People will understandably be underwhelmed. Would imagine that most will get back into line behind whoever is appointed when that happens. Lot of it seems to be because many of those less than impressed are those who are last to call for a manager's head so need to get stuff off their chests now while they feel able to I guess.

Haha, nope. I think you'll find most people from Merseyside could not give a **** about the national side. Club >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> country. Nothing disgraceful about it

Awful attitude to have, putting Club before Country is acceptable but not to support your national team is appauling, if you are a football fan that is.

Back