The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
That is very true - hence why their transfer policy was to buy young and build them up for the future, I think FSG were wrong in suggesting LFC had to get in to top 4 given the competition out there. Not when all they can fork out is £35m... Unfortunately we all know the way the game is now, you have to spend big to get success.... and until you get success you cant get the bigger income in to afford to buy big.... unless you have a middle eastern prince as an owner.... or a russian billionnaire lol

Money spent is money spent. Money wasted is money wasted. It's irrelevant how you dress it up as being a small-ish net cost, because if you spent the money well you would have had a £35m net spend on more achievement. And they didn't fork out £35m, they forked out £100m. They didn't necessarily have to release the funds straight back into transfers, there are many owners out there who would have just taken it out.

Opportunity cost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That moment when no one sees your post because it was the last one on the page... Dammit.

Ok, I'm bored and been reading a transfer rumour thingy posted on the Chelsea board from the Guardian . Some of the transfers there are just silly, so I thought it could be discussed in fantasy world.

(Off topic, Sneijder to go for only 20 million... Really??? Bargain of the century
David Luiz to Barca for 30 million??? They aren't soft).

On topic, who is realistic for us and who would you like to see?

Hoilett is mentioned, big green light from me.
Victor Moses? Showed signs of that unfulfilled potential starting to come through last season but not quite good enough for me
Giroud? Yeah would take him, but not for 18 million and think there will be steep competition for him
Belhanda, quoted at 15 million - Should definitely be a target for us
Ricky Van Wolfswilly - Quoted at 15m, can't say why I'm not excited by him... Just seen too many dutchies flop in the prem
Diego Milito - Quoted at 5 million, aged 32 so no return on investment but could still have something to offer, why not.
Roberto Soldado - 25 million. A definite yes, but I think he's out of our reach. If we signed him and no one else this summer, I'd be happy.
Griezmann - 12 million quoted. Good price for his age, looks to be the type of player we still need, could be a good fit.
Gyfli Sigurdsson - Quoted at 10 million. Looks like Swansea have him permanently is sky reports are to be believed. Steal at 10 million

All the above are the ones we are linked to in the article. Can only see maybe four of those that are realistic targets. views on who you would want?

Sneidjer at 20 isn't that much of a bargain. Injury prone, and considerably off form, and 28, and you'd need to base your side round him, and he asks for crazy money (180k style crazy money).

Giroud at 18m is a good buy.

Soldado ditto at 25m.

Griezmann, wont go for 12, they have a 21 million clause and he is one of their best players, wont sell him at a cut price.

Belhanda must be an option.

No to milito.

Sigurdsson is gone to Swansea permanent now.

Yes to Hoilett and Moses.

Not sure about Van wolfswinkel.

But that transfer thing is mental

I will fight anyone who says my Victor isn't good enough for Liverpool. Fight, I say.

Sneidjer at 20 isn't that much of a bargain. Injury prone, and considerably off form, and 28, and you'd need to base your side round him, and he asks for crazy money (180k style crazy money).

Giroud at 18m is a good buy.

Soldado ditto at 25m.

Griezmann, wont go for 12, they have a 21 million clause and he is one of their best players, wont sell him at a cut price.

Belhanda must be an option.

No to milito.

Sigurdsson is gone to Swansea permanent now.

Yes to Hoilett and Moses.

Not sure about Van wolfswinkel.

But that transfer thing is mental

If we sign one of Hoilett (most likely), Belhanda or Griezmann (I don't think he'll be that cheap either btw) and a poaching type of striker, then we've done some good business.

I will fight anyone who says my Victor isn't good enough for Liverpool. Fight, I say.

Didn't realise you supported Wigan now! Maybe he will be good enough, but for now he just hasn't shown me enough yet. He's had a good half season but nothing warranting a big move yet. If he still performs up until January next season he'll get that move.

Also ****** off he chose Nigeria when I don't think an England call up was a million miles away.

He's worse than Downing or Adam, definitely not good enough ;)
Didn't realise you supported Wigan now! Maybe he will be good enough, but for now he just hasn't shown me enough yet. He's had a good half season but nothing warranting a big move yet. If he still performs up until January next season he'll get that move.

Also ****** off he chose Nigeria when I don't think an England call up was a million miles away.
He doesn't, he bums Crystal Palace so has an attachment to Moses

Haha, no. I just have known him for a while now. Used to have kickabouts in my local park with him. He's a very good lad. We all knew he'd be a star when he broke through for Palace, but he suffered from selfishness and bad decision making. This is definitely improving, and when he's fixed it he'll be an awesome player. I'd say snap him up now when he's relatively cheap.

He's worse than Downing or Adam, definitely not good enough ;)

I will find you.

You didnt fork out 35m, it was much more than that, you just also recouped a lot of money. The choice of targets was not good from the start, better value elsewhere

In fairness, look at the players we were replacing. Alonso/Aquilani, Torres, Mascherano, needed an additional striker, needed a left winger, needed a left back. And that's without trying to establish any squad depth. We've got an injury prone centreback and an aging centreback, one of the greatest players to ever play for us is in the twilight of his career. That's 8 players needed to even stay still. 9 if Meireles was determined to head out. 11 if you consider that Maxi and Kuyt are on their way out. Won't defend Comolli's ability to negotiate good deals to bring players in. Can't defend it. But the idea that £130m would rectify 3 years of neglect in the squad as well as seeing players shipped out to generate that sum seems harsh. H&G left a huge gaping hole in the squad. We've got kids and we've got old men, and had very few in the middle in their prime years.

Think there's shades of grey in this. Throw in no CL football... Appreciate Newcastle had a good season on a much more limited spend so it can be done. But they did gamble on a player's knees to get them through to January. They were lucky (sorry Dunc) that it was their other gamble which backfired rather than the player who scored the goals. Think our season would have been very different if we'd gone out and added to the squad in January. Why that didn't happen is something which frustrates me.

I have just seen that Martinez has been offered the job, i think he comes across very well and is a very talented manager. Lets see whether the fans will give him a chance.

I have just seen that Martinez has been offered the job, i think he comes across very well and is a very talented manager. Lets see whether the fans will give him a chance.

He hasn't. Whelan said something like "I've not heard them negotiate with anyone else so I assume they've made an offer" or something similar

Think they will. There's no real reason why they wouldn't. Liverpool fans have a very deep and strong attachment to their managers, and Martinez is as likeable as they get.

I hope he does well if he is offered the job.

He hasn't. Whelan said something like "I've not heard them negotiate with anyone else so I assume they've made an offer" or something similar

"I have just spoken to Roberto," Whelan told Sky Sports News on Friday. "He went yesterday to Miami and had a very constructive meeting with the owner of Liverpool.
"They're going to talk again on Tuesday. They've made Roberto an offer and he has agreed to consider it.

I listen to Sir Whelan lol.

Think they will. There's no real reason why they wouldn't. Liverpool fans have a very deep and strong attachment to their managers, and Martinez is as likeable as they get.

I hope he does well if he is offered the job.

They do but not with Hodgson, then again as i said it didn't help that KD was up stairs at the time and Martinez won't have that.

Hodgson was initially welcomed with open arms, but it went downhill very, very quickly.

They do but not with Hodgson, then again as i said it didn't help that KD was up stairs at the time and Martinez won't have that.
I've already mentioned why they turned on Hodgson

Martinez will do well at Liverpool, young & ambitious. Exactly what we need.

Ah well I'll get behind Martinez I guess. Definitely not my preferred appointment by any standards. At least he'll play positive football. I'll give him ten league games to judge. Harsh?

Back