The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Really Impressed tonight, it is only Gomel, but the shape, high pressing and width by the wingers and wing backs meant we stretched them to create space.

Lucas was as usual brilliant

Borini's movement and energy was very good to see, and the link up play between him, Suarez and Gerrard looked very promising..

Even Downing looked more positive,

Although hate him or love him Luis Suarez is world class, such a good performance tonight

Great performance all around really. Nice to see Allen coming in.
Tonight's team was...
Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger, Gerrard, Shelvey, Lucas, Borini, Suarez, Downing.

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Carroll, Spearing, Henderson, Carragher, Adam.

Which is a decent side, but it's mainly a few squad players and another striker that'll be needed here.

Now then, for me Carroll and Adam will be gone. Think Carroll will be sold late on to Newcastle and Adam will be in a deal for Dempsey. Oh, Bellamy's basically gone too.

So...let's say Adam leaves in a cash plus $ for Dempsey, and Allen signing will be replacing Adam, and Dempsey will take Downing's place in the startling line-up. Rumour has it we're in for a few more after that, Tello, Callejon, Sahin, have all been linked, but I think the only one we stand a chance with is Tello on loan. So, Tello on loan, and I have a weird feeling we'll sign Walcott. Seems a very Rodgers player, like how he had Sinclair, Dyer at Swansea, Walcott's basically a class above them, but a similar player. Now I'm not a huge fan of Walcott personally, but I think he could do the job he does at Arsenal. There is an interest in Walcott, confirmed, and Arsenal might want rid with their recent spend-a-thon. So now then let's remake that line-up.

Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger, Gerrard, Allen, Lucas, Borini, Suarez, Dempsey.

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Tello, Spearing, Henderson, Carragher, Walcott.

Also with Cole (ew), Coates, Wilson, Suso, Sterling (<3), Downing, Shelvey, Robinson, Flanno and Pacheco left over.

Fun tiem

----Reina-----
Johnson-Skrtel-Agger-Enrique
Gerrard-Lucas-Allen
Walcott-Suarez-Borini

Second string...

----Jones----
Kelly-Carragher-Coates-Robinson
Spearing-Henderson-Shelvey
Tello-Dempsey-Downing

Yes please!

I'm going to put my neck out and say you wont get Walcott. Wenger hugely rates him.

Honestly I kind of hope we don't. If it's between him and Adam Johnson, I'd prefer Walcott though.

Honestly I kind of hope we don't. If it's between him and Adam Johnson, I'd prefer Walcott though.

Agreed. Don't really think/ want either, though. Don't understand why we couldn't have just kept Bellamy! :' (

That would be great, a great team not to mention a great squad!

The second string side would be good enough for most teams in the Premier League, and bar the defence, would be a very impressive side. However, I strongly doubt we will splash out on the likes of Dempsey and Walcott, whilst Allen and Tello would be much more realistic. But if Agger's leaving, I think we will be able to get Dempsey, meaning that Carragher and Coates will rotate for the other centre back position, as I doubt we will buy another player!

almost positive we will sign another winger/ attacker before the window closes regardless who is sold, as we need it...

although we lose Agger and i genuinely think our positive season goes there... Carra and Coates in the first team is not good enough

Agreed. Don't really think/ want either, though. Don't understand why we couldn't have just kept Bellamy! :' (

He's 33, high wages, cannot play everygame due to knee injuries... as much as a like him, he had his heart set on a move back to cardiff, and overall a smart decision, as long as we get another person in

Would love walcott, but it wont happen imo

Allen deal looks as good as done now. With Allen and a winger/attacker we should have a strong season. Hope we don't sell Agger though, it might blow our chances of challenging the top 4.

We do need another attacking player, but it doesn't necessarily mean we will sign one.

I know losing Agger will be a blow, but he isn't as good as he used to be (he used to be one of the best defenders in the Premier League) due to injuries, in my opinion and we can let some youngsters have a go in the first team.

I agree with the Bellamy statement, it is a smart decision indeed, we have got a very good season out of him, and now he is going for no loss at all (bar wages, of course)!

I personally think Agger is world class and as good as he ever has been, the way we like to play he is perfect to this, had a brilliant euro's, played very well last night and would be a massive loss

I personally think Agger is world class and as good as he ever has been, the way we like to play he is perfect to this, had a brilliant euro's, played very well last night and would be a massive loss

he has averaged 18 games a season for the last 4 seasons, had 16 big injuries in 4 years. That's effectively making him a squad player.

he has averaged 18 games a season for the last 4 seasons, had 16 big injuries in 4 years. That's effectively making him a squad player.

I agree he has had injuries and not figured as much as people would like, yes making him a squad player

but talent wise he is massive and is key to the Rodgers style while he stays fit, add that i seriously dont trust coates or carragher to fill in makes it even more important he stays

PS. answer my private message please, cheers.

Liverpool Football Club are delighted to announce that midfielder Joe Allen has today completed his transfer from Swansea City.
joe_allen_(2).jpg

The Wales international signed a long-term contract after passing a medical at Melwood.
After finalising the deal, Allen told Liverpoolfc.com: "I feel incredible. Everyone knows the history of this club, it's a massive club, and I'm delighted to have joined.
"The passion that people here have for football is something I share and I want to be part of that.
"I'm looking forward to being part of some great years ahead for Liverpool Football Club."
The 22-year-old becomes our second summer signing following the arrival of Fabio Borini.
Brendan Rodgers said: "I'm absolutely delighted that Joe has made the decision to come with us on this journey.
"Joe is a player whose profile will fit perfectly with the ideas of this group. His ability to control and dominate the ball is an important ingredient in our attempt to gain success on the field.
"Joe has had a fantastic education at Swansea City and will now begin the next chapter in his exciting career, and I wish him all the very best in what I'm sure will be a long and distinguished career here at Liverpool."

Speaking of which...

Good player but crazy money.. You do love your GB signings!

Just pulled this from the Liverpool website:

"Allen can boast an impressive set of statistics from the last Barclays Premier League season. The midfielder completed 91 per cent of his passes for Swansea, a higher rate than Barcelona and Spain star Andres Iniesta, and created a chance for a teammate once every 63 minutes, providing four assists. Joe also made 110 tackles, the third-highest in the division."

I this this is a remarkable set of stats for a player who's only 22 and it also being his first season in the top flight. His passing looks to be very solid and persistent, and to have a pass percentage better than Iniesta speaks great volumes. He's also a very solid tackler, something which any of our other midfielders (excluding Lucas and Gerrard) aren't, especially Charlie Adam, he looks to be the perfect player to anchor the midfield with Lucas therefore giving Gerrard the freedom to attack without having to worry much about getting back. Obviously £15M is a lot of money, which can put unwanted pressure on a player (e.g. Carroll, Downing, Henderson) but I can see him being a great buy for us this season.

Now to buy a winger and possibly another striker haha!

Back