The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Great news:
Liverpool Arsenal Jack Wilshere and Andy Carroll are OUT of the England Under-21 squad EXCLUSIVE - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Also this:

Kenny Dalglish has outlined his plans to sign players only of the highest calibre for Liverpool this summer and confirmed his expensive strategy has the full support of the club's owners, Fenway Sports Group.

The Liverpool manager believes his squad do not require an overhaul, having shown their quality during a strong second half to the season, but an injection of proven quality to enhance prospects of a return to the Champions League. Ashley Young of Aston Villa and Blackpool's Charlie Adam are among the targets and Dalglish admits FSG will make substantial funds available.

"The squad only needs tinkering," said Dalglish. "If people want to see the best players and assets of the football club wearing a red shirt, that's what we want to try and provide. We want to get the highest quality of player in that we can. That's what position we have been put into, and that's what we will try to do.

"The owners just want the same as the football club. Everything they can afford to put into transfers they will put in. There's no figure on it, and even if there was we wouldn't publicise it. But the desire is there and the intention is there. A good way to judge it is that the owners were disappointed we didn't bring more players in in January.

"People might be cynical and say we got Ryan Babel and Fernando Torres out and almost balanced the books with bringing in Luis [Suárez] and Andy [Carroll], but Luis was coming in anyway before Fernando went, so the owners' intention was there. Damien [Comolli, director of football] has done a fantastic job identifying players and whittling it down to a small number to make it more manageable for us to look at what we want. It's all in place ready to go. We just need to get somebody to say yes."

Defeat at home to Tottenham Hotspur last Sunday could cost Liverpool a place in the Europa League next season but Dalglish is confident a lack of European competition would not deter his targets from coming to Anfield. He added: "Whether it affects people positively or negatively, you'll need to ask the individuals. But our football club is much bigger than just one season not being in Europe."

Source: Liverpool's squad 'only needs tinkering', says Kenny Dalglish | Football | guardian.co.uk

yeah it is pointless as they will most likely play in euro 2012 next summer aswell so no summer rest again :(

Its great for both clubs as Wilshire wont be burned out and now Carroll has a proper summer to get over his injury plagued season :)

[/COLOR]Martin Skrtel and Leighton Baines are the only players in the Premier League to have played every minute of every game so far this season.[/QUOTE]

I find that hard to believe that would mean that agger and caragher havnt played as a cb partnership this season

[/COLOR]Martin Skrtel and Leighton Baines are the only players in the Premier League to have played every minute of every game so far this season.

I find that hard to believe that would mean that agger and caragher havnt played as a cb partnership this season[/QUOTE]

Its strange but both have been injured for plenty of time. Agger got his best run in the team when Carra was injured. They dont really compliment each other though as both are fairly slow. At least Skrtel has a bit of pace in him.

Carroll and Wilshere out?! **** it, they don't even come to Denmark :(

The future at Liverpool looks very bright indeed, I will be incredibly suprised if u guys dont give a strong challenge for a top 4 finish next season, u got owners that want to take the club forward, quality players and a great manager who understands the soul of the club, I don't think many Liverpool fans will accept anything less than atleast 5th next season but I have a strong feeling that Liverpool will be in the Top 4 come next season

Daglish is doing the right thing by encouraging Aquilani to come back, a brilliant player and I never really understood why he was packed off on loan, plus there is talk of other signings such as Scott Parker, Charlie Adams and Ashely Young. The first 2 are viable options as West Ham are already relegated and Blackpool probably will follow the same fate at Old Trafford while Ashley Young will definetly be wanting to move to a bigger club with better ambitions. If you guys do pull off those 3 signings then Liverpool looks very strong indeed

Guess your dissapointed. Its good that they will get a break from the clubs point of view at least.

Well, good thing that Carroll isn't going. He needs a break.

Pault86 (Thommo) on Twitter said last night that our line-up for tonight is:

Reina, Flanagan, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio, Shelvey, Spearing, Lucas, Meireles, Kuyt, Suarez

I'd hope the line-up will be a 4-1-2-1-2, I'd prefer Johnson to be playing though. Great to see Shelvey in there over Carroll :)

Reina
Flanagan - Carragher - Skrtel - Aurelio
Spearing
Lucas - Meireles
Shelvey
Kuyt - Suarez​

No Johnson? Bah. He's been top drawer since he came back.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

[/COLOR]Martin Skrtel and Leighton Baines are the only players in the Premier League to have played every minute of every game so far this season.

I find that hard to believe that would mean that agger and caragher havnt played as a cb partnership this season[/QUOTE]

Agger spent a lot of time at left back. Carragher had that spell out injured, and Agger's had that spell...not injured....

No budget for KD in the summer!

Apparently, Kenny doesn't get a budget, BUT he gets to spend whatever he wants for new players, which means there is no limit. Sounds great, but i hope we don't pull at Man City

"If a United fan can bring a banner into Anfield then maybe we should take our five European Cups to Old Trafford next season" - Dalglish

Apparently, Kenny doesn't get a budget, BUT he gets to spend whatever he wants for new players, which means there is no limit. Sounds great, but i hope we don't pull at Man City

Well its not that we have a blank chequbook like City have. We dont have a set amount and we will spend what KD and DC consider appropriate. Dont expect a full team of players. The fact there hasnt been a figure put on is a sign that were going to sign players that will strengthen the team and not just add depth. Also Kenny has said we have a good nucleus and we only need tinkering. Im thinking we will sign 3 well known players, 1 marquee signing and about 3-4 promising youngsters for the academy with the view to develop. Dont expect any signings over 27 as FSG want players with a resale value.

"If a United fan can bring a banner into Anfield then maybe we should take our five European Cups to Old Trafford next season" - Dalglish

He also said regardlesss of Utd getting number 19 is that we are always going to be remembered for 5 european cups and we have to focus on the future. Kenny still has unfinished business and he wont rest until we are back where we were when he left in 1990. ON TOP!!!

1-0 to Villa as it stands. Guess we will have the league to focus on next season which im quite happy about :) Dont want the distraaction of playing on a thursday for pennies... :)

1-0 to Villa as it stands. Guess we will have the league to focus on next season which im quite happy about :) Dont want the distraaction of playing on a thursday for pennies... :)

not trying to cause trouble mate but the Europa League is always a good competition to compete in, despite the lack of money, their is good opposition to test yourselves against and always the very elusive prize of another European Trophy

That's been FSG's philosophy since they came. There is no set budget, each transfer will be assessed individually to see if it's worth it. It's not a blank cheque situation like at Man City so don't worry.

not trying to cause trouble mate but the Europa League is always a good competition to compete in, despite the lack of money, their is good opposition to test yourselves against and always the very elusive prize of another European Trophy

I know your not, its just from my viewpoint that id rather have a normal season with games on a saturday unless it was comercially worth it. It would have been good to give the youngsters some european experience and test themselves but i really want us to focus on the league next season

Also its worth noting that Shelvey has 22/22 passes/completed in the first half. 100% accuracy :D

Ashley Young clapped all four sides of Villa Park, including the Liverpool fans.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

LFC reps where looking again at Phil Jones and Matt Jarvis.

Back