The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Ashley Young clapped all four sides of Villa Park, including the Liverpool fans.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

LFC reps where looking again at Phil Jones and Matt Jarvis.

God help us all if we're reduced to seriously considering Jarvis.

What a crappy end to an otherwise great half-season.

Last edited:
God help us all if we're reduced to seriously considering Jarvis.

What a crappy end to an otherwise great half-season.

Jarvis' crosses with Carroll on the end of them = Goals, goals, goals. Matt Jarvis is a type of player we need, beat a defender, hit the byline and get a ball in. Just because he plays for Wolves doesn't make him any less of a player.

Besides, I imagine we will get one top class winger in and then go for someone like N'Zogbia/Jarvis etc as back up.

Our former goalkeeper Frank Lane past-away 2day at the age of 62.Lane was signed by Bill Shankly in Sept 1971 from Tranmere Rovers.He made 2 first-team appearances during his 4 years at Anfield before joining Notts County in 1975.Everybody from(Born a Red,Live a Red,Die a Red)Liverpool Football Club For Life would like 2 offer their deepest condolences 2 Frank's family & friends at this sad time.
R.I.P Frank. YNWA !

(Stole this of Facebook, just thought it would be a good place to post)

And, to the thing i actually was gonna post. After a little discussion i was involved in, on facebook which one would you rather see at Liverpool and why: Hazard, Young or Mata.

It's gotta be Hazard for me, as he is a great player and still young enough to get better.

Hazard. I don't think Mata will fit in, but let's see, Silva fit in pretty well so he might surprise.

Hazard looks to be just the winger type for the EPL, he'll be my choice. Young? He's proven, but I just don't see him doing any better than he is now.

Last edited:
R.I.P Frank. YNWA !

And, to the thing i actually was gonna post. After a little discussion i was involved in, on facebook which one would you rather see at Liverpool and why: Hazard, Young or Mata.

It's gotta be Hazard for me, as he is a great player and still young enough to get better.

Id love to see Hazard coming but he has confirmed that he isnt going anywhere this season.
I dont really rate Young that highly as he hasnt done anything of note in the past 2 seasons.
Mata i am excited about if we can get him for the right price.

Also want to say that Yann Mvilla has signed a 1 year extention to his current contract so he isnt going anywhere this season either. :(

Just saw this.. I'm sorry, but wtf? Friedel set for Liverpool return - Liverpool FC

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Id love to see Hazard coming but he has confirmed that he isnt going anywhere this season.
I dont really rate Young that highly as he hasnt done anything of note in the past 2 seasons.
Mata i am excited about if we can get him for the right price.

Also want to say that Yann Mvilla has signed a 1 year extention to his current contract so he isnt going anywhere this season either. :(

Yeah, just read the same thing about Hazard. Frankly, i don't really wanna see Young at Liverpool. I don't really have anything against the man, but i don't think he is Liverpool material if we wanna challenge for CL next season. Mata would be my preffered option between those 2.

Anybody think we actually have a chance of signing Aguero? I mean after signing Suarez and Carroll we surely won't? I hope to God we do though :D

Rather have him than Brad Jones..

I think were in with a shout if we keep Maxi, there best mates. Id see Aguero playing in the hole behind Carroll with Suarez drifting in from the left if we did manage to sign him. Its unlikely but it would show the rest of the world we mean business.

Agree About Friedel. He would be a solid back up :)

Hate to say it but Hazard is not going to move from Ligue 1 winners and Champions League qualification to 6th place finishers in the Premier League. The best thing we can hope for is that he stays at Lille for 1 more season and we finish top 4 this coming season.

However I'll start with the centre-halves. I personally want Scott Dann, scouser, talented, very good defender. He'd also be cut price seeing as Birmingham have been relegated.

Carra/Kelly - Srktel/Dann​

That means Agger and Soto would be sold. 2 defenders I absolutely love. Agger is so classy and gives us something different, when fit. But he isn't fit often enough. Soto gives his all but is a bit slow and old, can't see where he'd fit in, I'd rather see Kelly and Wilson developing.

Then there's the problematic left-back position. I'd personally sell Konchesky, Insua and Aurelio. Bring in one of Enrique/Cissokho/Izaguirre. The defence would then look like this:

Reina
Johnson - Carra - Dann - Cissokho*​

The midfield is already fairly solid. Lucas and Gerrard could certainly form a fantastic partnership in the centre. I'm thinking of getting Gerrard in a deep-lying playmaker role, sort of Alonso-like. Use Lucas as a box-to-box man. Obviously however some of our midfielders need to leave and some need to come in to replace them. I have been very impressed with Meireles and Spearing personally who could certainly provide backup/rotation however the likes of Joe Cole, Poulsen and all the other garbage need to be sold, Aquilani should also leave in my opinion.

Gerrard/Meireles - Lucas/Spearing​

Width is our huge problem. We have no out and out wingers. Keep Kuyt and offer Maxi a pay-cut, if not let him go. As I've said sell Joe Cole. My main targets would be Mata, Jarvis and possibly Gervinho, depending on whether Maxi leaves really. This would offer us genuine width and pace, which will help Andy Carroll start putting in consistently good performances.

Kuyt/Gervinho ------------ Mata/Jarvis​

Then there's Suarez and Carroll. Sell N'gog/Jovanovic and any other **** forwards, keep Pacheco however as backup to Suarez and sign a pacey striker such as Lavezzi.

Carroll/Lavezzi - Suarez/Pacheco​

This would leave us with:

Reina
Johnson - Carra - Dann - Cissokho
Gerrard - Lucas
Kuyt ------------ Mata
Carroll - Suarez​

With Skrtel/Meireles/Spearing/Gervinho/Jarvis/Lavezzi and Pacheco all fighting for places.

All of this is obviously hypothetical, but would be a very nice scenario in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think were in with a shout if we keep Maxi, there best mates. Id see Aguero playing in the hole behind Carroll with Suarez drifting in from the left if we did manage to sign him. Its unlikely but it would show the rest of the world we mean business.

Agree About Friedel. He would be a solid back up :)

Yeah good that we have that link through Maxi, could also pave the way for Cole and Jovanovic's exit, so double win. But then again if Liverpool aren't in a position to finance a £40M transfer plus wages of around £180k p/w then I understand.. But we really would be a lethal force, I'm still drooling at the prospect (H)

Just for people that don't know yet Aguero puts Liverpool and City on alert - Liverpool FC

True, he'd be a solid backup. But, what are the odds he's gonna play this season, without the EL, where Reina usually gets a break in the Quali, and group stage.

Eh? He played in Europe last year, pretty sure he played in every group stage game..

Hate to say it but Hazard is not going to move from Ligue 1 winners and Champions League qualification to 6th place finishers in the Premier League. The best thing we can hope for is that he stays at Lille for 1 more season and we finish top 4 this coming season.

However I'll start with the centre-halves. I personally want Scott Dann, scouser, talented, very good defender. He'd also be cut price seeing as Birmingham have been relegated.

That means Agger and Soto would be sold. 2 defenders I absolutely love. Agger is so classy and gives us something different, when fit. But he isn't fit often enough. Soto gives his all but is a bit slow and old, can't see where he'd fit in, I'd rather see Kelly and Wilson developing.

Then there's the problematic left-back position. I'd personally sell Konchesky, Insua and Aurelio. Bring in one of Enrique/Cissokho/Izaguirre. The defence would then look like this:

Reina

The midfield is already fairly solid. Lucas and Gerrard could certainly form a fantastic partnership in the centre. I'm thinking of getting Gerrard in a deep-lying playmaker role, sort of Alonso-like. Use Lucas as a box-to-box man. Obviously however some of our midfielders need to leave and some need to come in to replace them. I have been very impressed with Meireles and Spearing personally who could certainly provide backup/rotation however the likes of Joe Cole, Poulsen and all the other garbage need to be sold, Aquilani should also leave in my opinion.

Gerrard/Meireles - Lucas/Spearing​

Width is our huge problem. We have no out and out wingers. Keep Kuyt and offer Maxi a pay-cut, if not let him go. As I've said sell Joe Cole. My main targets would be Mata, Jarvis and possibly Gervinho, depending on whether Maxi leaves really. This would offer us genuine width and pace, which will help Andy Carroll start putting in consistently good performances.

Then there's Suarez and Carroll. Sell N'gog/Jovanovic and any other **** forwards, keep Pacheco however as backup to Suarez and sign a pacey striker such as Lavezzi.

This would leave us with:

Reina
Johnson - Carra - Dann - Cissokho
Gerrard - Lucas
Kuyt ------------ Mata
Carroll - Suarez

With Skrtel/Meireles/Spearing/Gervinho/Jarvis/Lavezzi and Pacheco all fighting for places.

All of this is obviously hypothetical, but would be a very nice scenario in my opinion.

Great if it all comes off. Factor Charlie Adam into that equation too. Kenny wants him in after the performances he gave last season, especially against us & Thommo on twitter says he's coming here for certain.

Personally can't see Aguero wanting to 'further is development' by moving to Liverpool, who have no European football. Would love it to be true but honestly can't see it. I hope it doesn't happen but I could really see him going to city. They have the money and have the champions league football.

Reina

The midfield is already fairly solid. Lucas and Gerrard could certainly form a fantastic partnership in the centre. I'm thinking of getting Gerrard in a deep-lying playmaker role, sort of Alonso-like. Use Lucas as a box-to-box man. Obviously however some of our midfielders need to leave and some need to come in to replace them. I have been very impressed with Meireles and Spearing personally who could certainly provide backup/rotation however the likes of Joe Cole, Poulsen and all the other garbage need to be sold, Aquilani should also leave in my opinion. I'd use some of the money from the sales of midfielders to fund a move for Parker to bulk the midfield up, as a long-term injury or any niggling injuries (as has happened to Stevie this season) will not leave us exposed. I'd let Shelvey move the the Championship on loan.

Gerrard/Meireles - Lucas/Parker​

Def: Agger is my absolute favorite at Liverpool, and as much as i hate to admit it, you're right.

Mid: I disagree with you on Aquilani. He's found his form at Juventus, and could be very useful to us in the long run. The likes of J. Cole, Poulsen etc should be sold. I wanna keep Shelvey and Rodriguez though.

Wing: I doubt that Gervinho is gonna leave Lille for Liverpool, unless they wanna get rid of him. And how good is he then?. I think we should concentrate on Mata first. Kuyt can play as a wing for a season or two until he's to old. He is still a good player.

Att: Pacheco is way to inexperienced to be on the first team at Liverpool, sorry to say. I'd concentrate on Aguero there.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Mid: I disagree with you on Aquilani. He's found his form at Juventus, and could be very useful to us in the long run. The likes of J. Cole, Poulsen etc should be sold. I wanna keep Shelvey and Rodriguez though.

Don't get me wrong I rate Aquilani however he has said he wants to stay in Italy. Why keep a player who doesn't want to play for us? I did change my mind on Shelvey as I removed Parker, I reckon at his age he'd be a slight waste of money and wages as backup? Not sure.
Wing: I doubt that Gervinho is gonna leave Lille for Liverpool, unless they wanna get rid of him. And how good is he then?. I think we should concentrate on Mata first. Kuyt can play as a wing for a season or two until he's to old. He is still a good player.

Gervinho has said he wants to play in England. Arsenal and Newcastle are supposedly interested and he has said he wouldn't rule out a move. Considering he's young and would only command around a 15m transfer fee he'd be a great signing. He could rotate with Kuyt depending on the opposition.
Att: Pacheco is way to inexperienced to be on the first team at Liverpool, sorry to say. I'd concentrate on Aguero there.

Funny thing is, we've been saying this for nearly 3 years now. For him to develop he needs first-team football, if we're not going to give him it he may as-well leave. Aguero is a dream signing, I'm not expecting him to be signed (although I'd love it).

Don't get me wrong I rate Aquilani however he has said he wants to stay in Italy. Why keep a player who doesn't want to play for us? I did change my mind on Shelvey as I removed Parker, I reckon at his age he'd be a slight waste of money and wages as backup? Not sure.
True, but if Juventus and Liverpool can't come to an agreement, it would be nice to keep him. I wouldn't want him to be unhappy though.
And yeah, Parker would be too old In my opinion. And Spearing has been impressive this season.

Gervinho has said he wants to play in England. Arsenal and Newcastle are supposedly interested and he has said he wouldn't rule out a move. Considering he's young and would only command around a 15m transfer fee he'd be a great signing. He could rotate with Kuyt depending on the opposition.
True, but i doubt he'll want to play for 6th placed Liverpool if Arsenal are in for him as well. All though here he'd get some first team football.

Funny thing is, we've been saying this for nearly 3 years now. For him to develop he needs first-team football, if we're not going to give him it he may as-well leave. Aguero is a dream signing, I'm not expecting him to be signed (although I'd love it).
True, but i think he could benefit from another season going on loan. I can't see him playing in the first team yet. Aguero wants to leave, but with Man City and Real Madrid jumping for him, i doubt it as well.

True, but if Juventus and Liverpool can't come to an agreement, it would be nice to keep him. I wouldn't want him to be unhappy though.
And yeah, Parker would be too old In my opinion. And Spearing has been impressive this season.

It would be, he'd be a fine asset if he could fit in. However AC Milan are also very interested so if we could get the 15m or whatever for him, it'd a decent fee. Yeah, I agree.

True, but i doubt he'll want to play for 6th placed Liverpool if Arsenal are in for him as well. All though here he'd get some first team football.

I know what you mean but Arsenal's interest may be minor. Of course he may not even want to move but he'd be a fine signing. Mata is certainly my main target for a winger at the moment!

True, but i think he could benefit from another season going on loan. I can't see him playing in the first team yet. Aguero wants to leave, but with Man City and Real Madrid jumping for him, i doubt it as well.

Well, we either put our trust into Pacheco or as you say we let him go (be it on loan or permanently). The signing of Lavezzi would mean Pacheco'd be 4th in the pecking order however so he'd hardly be a starter. :)

In case any of you are interested in watching him... Alberto Aquilani is currently playing in Gary Neville's testimonial.

The option for them to sign Aquilani's passed, so if we want to keep him, we'll have to negotiate a new price.

Back