The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Jarvis' crosses with Carroll on the end of them = Goals, goals, goals. Matt Jarvis is a type of player we need, beat a defender, hit the byline and get a ball in. Just because he plays for Wolves doesn't make him any less of a player.

Besides, I imagine we will get one top class winger in and then go for someone like N'Zogbia/Jarvis etc as back up.
Who I want:
Andre Villas-Boas (when Kenny leaves)
Kun Aguero (to play AMC)
Matt Jarvis/Jermaine Pennant/Matthew Etherington (to provide good crosses)
Stewart Downing/Ashley Young/Juan Mata/Eden Hazard (to Pwn!)
Simon Kjaer (to improve our ageing defence)

What a team that would be! I'm looking forward to this summer, going to be some tasty deals, I reckon. Oh, and Adam Morgan = awesome!

P.S. Is Pep a nickname for every Spaniard called José or something, because I'm sure it was José Segura not Pep Segura, like José Reina.

Who I want:
Andre Villas-Boas (when Kenny leaves)
Kun Aguero (to play AMC)
Matt Jarvis/Jermaine Pennant/Matthew Etherington (to provide good crosses)
Stewart Downing/Ashley Young/Juan Mata/Eden Hazard (to Pwn!)
Simon Kjaer (to improve our ageing defence)

What a team that would be! I'm looking forward to this summer, going to be some tasty deals, I reckon. Oh, and Adam Morgan = awesome!

P.S. Is Pep a nickname for every Spaniard called José or something, because I'm sure it was José Segura not Pep Segura, like José Reina.

I have to say, I disagree. Aguero's not needed, even though I think he's brilliant.
Pennant/Etherington are too old, and not really good enough. Pennant was pretty good in his first season here.
Mata>Hazard>Downing>Young, but they're hard people to sign all of them.
Kjaer, meh. Would rather buy English (Phil Jones <333) or Scotty Dann, who's even a Liverpool season ticket holder.

Rodolfo Borrell to take over the Reserves team, Mike Warsh to take the under 18's.

@Paul: I disagree with most of your suggestions.
I reckon if Kenny does well he could manage for 10 years or more still.
Jermaine Pennant/Matthew Etherington arent really up to scratch and dont suit our young/sell on potential mentality.
Aguero isnt a nessecity. If we get him it would be a bonus.
Id much rather a English cb like Jones and Dann(i mentioned Dann about a month ago on here)

However i like you mentioned Adam Morgan, i think he has good potential.

I agree with who Ben has suggested like:

LB:one of Enrique/Cissokho/Izaguirre
Wingers:main targets would be Mata, Jarvis and possibly Gervinho, depending on whether Maxi leaves really
And a fast Striker as we wont have many options if Carroll or Suarez get injured.

We need a back up goalkeeper, Jones isn't good enough. Friedel will be joining us as back up to a view to coaching within the next week or so.

We also need a centre back or two, we are going to get rid of Agger & Soto so I say go for Phil Jones & Scott Dann. Bit of English heart in the centre of defence, and we could probably snap up Scott Dann for around £5m and Phil Jones, well, I don't need to go into any more depth really.

Left back is a major problem position for us, Enrique perhaps? I honestly do not have a clue who we will get.

Centre mid, Aquilani will go to Juve/Milan. To replace him we'll pick up Charlie Adam for around £7m. Again, will be done within about a week.

Winger is an obvious problem, in my opinion we will sign two. One big signing and one 'lesser' player who wouldn't mind a squad role. We are meeting with Mata today/tomorrow so hopefully this can be ironed out soon and I can see us going for Jarvis as well who in my opinion would be a quality signing.

Could probably do with also getting another striker as well, but Kuyt has shown himself to be more than capable when Carroll is injured. Maybe someone like Wickham, who's development would only be enhanced playing for us and he is the same type of player as Carroll as well so that could help us.

Signing all of these would give us much better strength in depth, players fighting for positions and in my opinion a lot more quality over the pitch.

Commolli, sign me up pal if you need an advisor.

Portugese press saying that we've put in a bid of 22m Euros for Fábio Coentrão. Think that might solve our leftback problem if true...

Woo, inverted fullbacks, one winger and an inside forward winger at that! Yay for no width!

Meh, whoever did this tactic was clearly looking through a mirror darkly; it's a reflection of what he meant - hence the swapped full backs & Mata should possibly be on the left. An asymetrical formation sometimes is very effective in FM, but in RL ?

I'm liking the 3 central midfielders who will overload the middle; always good to get & maintain possession, but I'm less sure about having only one winger as this leaves the opposite flank exposed; unfortunately to have the former you must suffer the latter unless you leave the striker up front all on his lonesome.

Portugese press saying that we've put in a bid of 22m Euros for Fábio Coentrão. Think that might solve our leftback problem if true...

I'm gonna be having wet dreams over this one for weeks.

I'm gonna be having wet dreams over this one for weeks.

Don't have too many - the same newspapers a few weeks back were saying he was nailed on for Real Madrid... so... but certainly one of the more interesting rumours doing the rounds as he was certainly looked at in January (no idea if rumours about offers etc then were true).

Don't have too many - the same newspapers a few weeks back were saying he was nailed on for Real Madrid... so... but certainly one of the more interesting rumours doing the rounds as he was certainly looked at in January (no idea if rumours about offers etc then were true).

Well the rumours on their own are enough to get me going at night mate :)

Apparently Juan Mata will be able to leave Valencia for around 18,000,000€ - 22,000,000€.

Well the rumours on their own are enough to get me going at night mate :)

To be honest, know the feeling. He's definitely a player I'd love to see at the club.

Isn't it great though? Getting linked to players of genuine quality, and knowing that, yes, the club can afford to buy them? Even better still, just how little genuine information is getting of the club at the moment.

So who's leaving the club in the Summer? Most importantly is Agger leaving?

To be honest, know the feeling. He's definitely a player I'd love to see at the club.

Isn't it great though? Getting linked to players of genuine quality, and knowing that, yes, the club can afford to buy them? Even better still, just how little genuine information is getting of the club at the moment.

Definitely agree, this is the most excited I've been about Liverpool in a good few years. Any potential line-up for next season is mouthwatering. I just hope we go for players like Mata and Coentrao rather than Young and Enrique. Nothing wrong with the two prem players they are just a little less exciting.

Alberto Aquilani's agent believes the Liverpool midfielder's future will be decided next week.

The Italian midfielder has spent this season on loan at Juventus, but the Turin giants failed to exercise their first buy-out option to sign the 26-year-old on a permanent basis, which expired last weekend.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has admitted he is open to the possibility of Aquilani returning to Anfield next season.

However, Aquilani's agent Franco Zavaglia, is optimistic a deal will be agreed between Juventus and Liverpool to see the former Roma man return to Italy on a permanent basis.

"The percentage that Aquilani will remain at Juve is above 50 per cent," Zavaglia told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"He has three years left on his contract with Liverpool.

"I believe that in a couple of days the two clubs will reach an agreement."

Juve, who have failed to qualify for European football next season after finishing seventh in Serie A, had refused to pay the asking price of £16million demanded by the Reds for the player's permanent signature.

However, Zavaglia is confident an agreement will be reached, adding: "Juve should have paid 16million for the buy-out clause but I don't think there will be any problems regarding the financial aspects.

"I believe within the next week everything will be resolved."

Source: Sky Sports

Xabi Alonso Interview coming soon on LFC.tv
Heres a preview of what is revealed:
Xabi Alonso world exclusive - Liverpool FC

Former Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has admitted he felt compelled to leave Anfield two years ago after losing the backing of manager Rafael Benitez.
The Spain international's departure to Real Madrid in the summer of 2009 came as no real surprise as he had been on the verge of leaving the previous year.

That was prompted by Benitez's failed attempts to sign Gareth Barry from Aston Villa, which convinced Alonso he had to move on.
"At the end of that (2008) season, speaking to Rafa, he told me the situation and that he wanted to sign other players and I could be one of the replacements," said the Real midfielder.

If an offer would have come, probably I would have been sold.
"That's when I told myself that the situation had changed - from being a very important player to being one of those who can be sold to get funds to sign other players.
"I accepted it because I am a professional but you have to realise what your situation is.

"At the end nothing happened because there was no agreement and we started my last season in Liverpool."
In fairness to the Reds' then manager Benitez, Alonso had just endured probably his poorest season since joining from Real Sociedad in the summer of 2004.
But conversely, seemingly spurred on by events, the Spaniard's final campaign was also probably his best - it was certainly true for Liverpool who ran Manchester United very close in the title race with a record points haul.

"I didn't feel I had a point to prove. I knew what I was capable of giving to the team and what I had given for the four years," he told LFCTV.
"In the last one the team was really good. We were very competitive and it was a disappointment not to win the league.
"I was really happy with the team and my team-mates and felt that we could do great things.

"I was happy on that side but within a club you have to see the big picture and another season would have been too much for me.
"It was very difficult to take that decision (to leave) but it was probably for the best for me because if I had stayed another season it would have been uncomfortable for me."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Real-Madrid-s-Xabi-Alonso-I-had-to-leave-Liverpool-after-Rafa-Benitez-told-me-I-was-dispensable-article740617.html#ixzz1NMkiGjNI
Register here

Read the Xabi interview on the LFC website, top bloke. True pro, Liverpool fans, his whole family. Can't hold him leaving against him, wanted to move on, we got a good price for him. Still haven't replaced him though.

Back