The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
The positive for Liverpool is certainly midfield options, but the Lucas injury puts paid to what, on paper, could have been up there with the best in the league.

Allen - Lucas - Sahin, or a combination of the three would lessen past reliability on an Gerrard on an obvious decline.

Who will feature for Lucas until his return?

Allen
Gerrard - Sahin

with Hendo and Shelvey filling in as sub appearences and if people need a rest

That midfield trio looks extremely lightweight defensively.

That midfield trio looks extremely lightweight defensively.

Allen is pretty snappy. Similar to Mascherano but without as much bite. Plus we don't really need to defend much once we start reaching 100% Possession.

I've found a very suitable Bill Shankly quote for this moment
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, manager and the supporters.
Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques"
except our directors are unable to sign cheques and there aren't enough players. FSG are only slightly better than the last lot because all the cash we've spent since they've been in charge has been saved by wage cuts and transfer fees. If FSG gave us a a £20m cheque we could make our squad a lot stronger.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, manager and the supporters.
except our directors are unable to sign cheques and there aren't enough players. FSG are only slightly better than the last lot because all the cash we've spent since they've been in charge has been saved by wage cuts and transfer fees. If FSG gave us a a £20m cheque we could make our squad a lot stronger.
you are kidding right?
They wiped up your debt from the last lot and have invested over £100M into your squad in a very short period of time, all for very little return thanks to KK and Camoli ******* up. Instead of spending madly this window again, they've decided to spend wisely and slowly build the squad up. So really you have no grounds to complain

I cant believe comments like this. Not having a go at you specifically. FSG came in when we were on the brink of administration. They cleared our loans of over 250M and just left us with a service debt of £37M. They also doubled our commercial revenue already in the space of 18 months. When they arrived they said there will be no quick fix and there in it for the long haul. Already our squad looks stronger than it was and we have a passionate young manager who plays good football.

Theres far more positives than negatives. I for one am glad to see us pulling out of the purchase of some players. It shows there is no panic buying and we arent over spending on the players we bring in. We are setting an ideal example ahead of FFP by only spending within our means. It means the long term future of the club will be secure. It will take a while but we will begin challenging for trophies and leagues in the coming seasons.

And I still believe we are in with an outside chance of Top 4. Chelsea, City and United are strongr than us no doubt. However it is close between us, Spurs and Arsenal. I think Newcastle are a good team but I dont think they will replicate last seasons form. And I find the fact of Everton being stronger than us comical.

Its also evident that we are going to rely on the academy more and the lads are getting game time like Sterling and Morgan. Hopefully we will see a few break into the team over the course of the season.

Heres a more apt quote for Liverpool: "Rome wasnt built in a day". So sit back and watch the progress and dont be too hard on the team/management until at least half a season passes and im sure youll see progress.

you are kidding right?
They wiped up your debt from the last lot and have invested over £100M into your squad in a very short period of time, all for very little return thanks to KK and Camoli ******* up. Instead of spending madly this window again, they've decided to spend wisely and slowly build the squad up. So really you have no grounds to complain
I know Camolli and Dalglish messed up but they haven't ever given us any transfer money as all of the wages of the signed players and transfer fees are made using the money saved by wage cuts. I seem to think we still have most of the debt as well.

I cant believe comments like this. Not having a go at you specifically. FSG came in when we were on the brink of administration. They cleared our loans of over 250M and just left us with a service debt of £37M. They also doubled our commercial revenue already in the space of 18 months. When they arrived they said there will be no quick fix and there in it for the long haul. Already our squad looks stronger than it was and we have a passionate young manager who plays good football.
I knew we were on the brink of admin but I didn't know our finances had improved that much I thought they had took over and done as little as possible to get us of the brink of admin. I have also seen some progress from last season but with spending £8m for Dempsey we might have made the CL.

I know Camolli and Dalglish messed up but they haven't ever given us any transfer money as all of the wages of the signed players and transfer fees are made using the money saved by wage cuts. I seem to think we still have most of the debt as well.

They spent £25m+ as well in this window. Plus an overpriced loan fee and high wages for Sahin.

Hang on, so FSG come in, clear your 250m debt, spend 10m on Henderson, 20m for Downing, 7m for Jose Enrique, 7m for Coates, wages for Bellamy & others, 35m for Carroll, 10m for Adam... . So, on top of that 340m pumped into the club, you have a 37m debt to service in return and a doubling of your sponsorship revenues...

Commoli and Dalglish completely fail to do anything with that of course, so what do FSG do in response?

They refresh the squad, help move on old players like Bellamy, Aquiliani and the unsuitable Adam - and then (!) decide to back the new manager and invest even more dosh:

10m+ for Borini, 15m for Allen, sanction the fee + wages for Sahin, and Assaidi for 3m with the January window still to go, so say 30m invested again. With what, Meireles and Torres being the marquee examples of players leaving for around 70m combined if you include the fringe players? That's it.

Any transfer money as all of the wages of the signed players and transfer fees are made using the money saved by wage cuts.

Just no. 30m+ on fees plus wages for Borini, Allen and Sahin alone will easily total 40m+, you certainly didn't move on 10 players earning around £100,000 per week. The irony to me is you seem to be saying "if only they invested £20m this window the squad would be in a much better shape..", when in actual fact that's exactly what they've done, invested a further £25m+, and people still complain.

This is what massively ****** me off. Say you're going to replace someone, ******* do it. Don't leave the manager in limbo with half an attack, and make him look like a complete **** for loaning out Carroll after what he said Thursday.

Hang on, so FSG come in, clear your 250m debt, spend 10m on Henderson, 20m for Downing, 7m for Jose Enrique, 7m for Coates, wages for Bellamy & others, 35m for Carroll, 10m for Adam... . So, on top of that 340m pumped into the club, you have a 37m debt to service in return and a doubling of your sponsorship revenues...

Commoli and Dalglish completely fail to do anything with that of course, so what do FSG do in response?

They refresh the squad, help move on old players like Bellamy, Aquiliani and the unsuitable Adam - and then (!) decide to back the new manager and invest even more dosh:

10m+ for Borini, 15m for Allen, sanction the fee + wages for Sahin, and Assaidi for 3m with the January window still to go, so say 30m invested again. With what, Meireles and Torres being the marquee examples of players leaving for around 70m combined if you include the fringe players? That's it.

Just no. 30m+ on fees plus wages for Borini, Allen and Sahin alone will easily total 40m+, you certainly didn't move on 10 players earning around £100,000 per week. The irony to me is you seem to be saying "if only they invested £20m this window the squad would be in a much better shape..", when in actual fact that's exactly what they've done, invested a further £25m+, and people still complain.

Bit staggered by some of the ungratefulness in some quarters. Instead of ITKs people should start reading the quarterly reports.

Watching Liverpool over the past two seasons has actually been very similar to Aston Villa in the Lerner era.

New American owner comes in, gives talented manager lots of money to rebuild a squad to challenge for the top 4. Talented manager actually turns out to be hit-and-miss when it comes to transfers, burying lots of money into signing average players as well as good ones, meaning that the club fails in its aim to reach the CL. American owner decides - correctly - to cut down on spending, otherwise they'll be millions out of pocket with little to show for it, with a club haemorrhaging money from expensive signings and huge wages on top of that. Manager leaves, frustrated with perceived lack of funds, and a new, more austere few seasons begin.

By then, of course, the fans are accustomed to expensive signings and new arrivals, so they get grumpy at the lack of transfer activity, claiming that the club needs such and such a player to compete for the top 4. Whilst true, the owner is stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place: either he opens his wallet again and attempts to get the team to challenge for the top 4, again putting the money in the hands of a manager who may or may not spend it wisely, taking a huge gamble that could last seasons into the future if big players with big wages fail and refuse to move on, Bogarde-style, or he does the sensible thing, cuts down on spending, and is berated from all quarters as "not backing the club", despite the fact that he's already done shedloads to back the club.

Bit staggered by some of the ungratefulness in some quarters. Instead of ITKs people should start reading the quarterly reports.

Meh, it's not in the fans interest to preserve the owner's cash. If it were up to them, they'd plunge all of that money into the club. I heard some Villa fans suggesting that, in the aftermath of Randy Lerner's sale of the Cleveland Browns, he should put "oh, only about £500 million" of the $1.2 billion he got from it into Villa. Bonkers. Fans are, generally, utterly deluded.

Drogba's a free agent right now. He was released by his club.

Maybe Liverpool will have a look at signing him :) Wouldn't be a bad signing IMO

Maybe Liverpool will have a look at signing him :) Wouldn't be a bad signing IMO

PLEASE GOD LET US SIGN HIM. HE'S A ****, BUT HE'D BE OUR ****. PLEASE PLEASE.

Not sure if any EPL club can sign him as he was released after the transfer window ended, which means he can be signed only in Jan. (French league transfer window ends on tuesday, so they can).

If he was released before, then any team can sign him.

If a player gets released from their club when the transfer window is closed, they cannot sign for another team until the window reopens. A notable case of this being Sol Campbell who in September 2009 was released from Notts County, just after a month from signing on a free transfer. He signed for his former club Arsenal in January 2010, after spending a few months training with the team to maintain his fitness.

Back