The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Except you don't see anyone on the United thread defending Young or Nani when they dive. The issue here isn't necessarily WHETHER you're being biased, it is to what extent, and in this thread the bias is pretty major.

No one is defending Suarez's diving. They are defending him as a player because he is a Liverpool player and he is being treated unfairly by refs (mostly brought on by himself).

Yeah, ive watched it. Notice he calls what Ashley Young is doing a dive. and he is right its an epidemic.

And actually there isnt much bias, Check the United thread re: Young and Welbeck, everyone has not only been open enough to admit they dive, they have also been criticising them. Just because they play for you doesnt mean they cant do wrong.

I think everyone in here has admitted Suarez dived as well. It's a pretty embarrassing dive tbf, but there's no difference between that and any other dive that was less/more subtle because it's all the same thing. Every player dives for the same reason, to win a foul. I understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of him doing it but so many other players do it as well.

No one is defending Suarez's diving. They are defending him as a player because he is a Liverpool player and he is being treated unfairly by refs (mostly brought on by himself).

And that's biased. But you don't see that in the United thread and you don't see that in the Everton thread, or certainly not to this extent.

That is bias. Thats exactly what Jak and I, among others, are getting at. Just because he plays for you, doesn't mean you have to defend him.

That is bias. Thats exactly what Jak and I, among others, are getting at. Just because he plays for you, doesn't mean you have to defend him.

We are defending him for being treated unfairly (Although he brought it on himself). Not for diving or any of the other stupid **** he does.

We are defending him for being treated unfairly (Although he brought it on himself). Not for diving or any of the other stupid **** he does.

So if he brought it on himself, and is still diving, why defend him? He doesnt need defending, he does need to stop diving, and change the reputation he largely brought on himself.

So if he brought it on himself, and is still diving, why defend him? He doesnt need defending, he does need to stop diving, and change the reputation he largely brought on himself.

Well yes that's exactly what he needs to do. I agree.

EDIT: But I think it's perfectly reasonable and understandable for any fan to defend their players.

Last edited:
I think everyone in here has admitted Suarez dived as well. It's a pretty embarrassing dive tbf, but there's no difference between that and any other dive that was less/more subtle because it's all the same thing. Every player dives for the same reason, to win a foul. I understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of him doing it but so many other players do it as well.

That implies a foul has been committed. The majority of the time, the player diving is trying to dupe the referee into believing a foul has been committed, when there hasn't.

EDIT: But I think it's perfectly reasonable and understandable for any fan to defend their players.

And when your manager and fans blindly defend him rather than criticise him, he'll never change his attitude on diving, and he'll continue to be treated the same by the referees.

He's treated harshly as a consequence of his diving. Everyone else sees this and says he deserves what's coming to him, you're trying to defend him against the consequence while 'criticise' him for the cause, which makes no sense.

Not when you are defending the indefensible. Rodgers saying your players might need to dive MORE, as a defense for him, is actually nonsensical.

Love that Suarez "dive" against Stoke.. Seems like he genuinely fell over, no idea why he added the belly flop though. Hilarious.

Don't see why people make a big deal out of us defending Suarez, Chelsea fans do it, United fans do it, Aresenal fans do it... etc. it's just the way it is.. Besides, Suarez is treat unfairly, it's pretty obvious. He doesn't do himself any favours, but he doesn't get decisions when he is fouled nor when he "dives" so why the **** do people make such a big deal out of it?

Love that Suarez "dive" against Stoke.. Seems like he genuinely fell over, no idea why he added the belly flop though. Hilarious.

Don't see why people make a big deal out of us defending Suarez, Chelsea fans do it, United fans do it, Aresenal fans do it... etc. it's just the way it is.. Besides, Suarez is treat unfairly, it's pretty obvious. He doesn't do himself any favours, but he doesn't get decisions when he is fouled nor when he "dives" so why the **** do people make such a big deal out of it?

See above, we just explained the differences pretty clearly. For the most part, and certainly on this forum, United fans have been laying into Young for diving.

People are making a deal when he and your club and supporters are complaining about a situation he largely brought on himself. Seems the stance has changed since Ronaldo had the same issues, not so sympathetic on that issue. People are well entitled to question your stance if it doesnt hold weight.

It's plainly obvious to see that Suarez's reputation of going down easily has caught up to him, what the others are saying is that despite the majority of referee decisions going against Suarez being unfair, he has brought it on himself for attempting to gain an unfair advantage through diving/going down from challenges, which he still does.

It's plainly obvious to see that Suarez's reputation of going down easily has caught up to him, what the others are saying is that despite the majority of referee decisions going against Suarez being unfair, he has brought it on himself for attempting to gain an unfair advantage through diving/going down from challenges, which he still does.

Indeed, i dont think anyone will argue, that he has missed out on genuine penalty shouts, but then, stop diving. Its not rocket science. United fans have been here before with Ronaldo, finally he cut it out, and got a shedload more pens.

Its the same regardless of who you are and play for

Last edited:
This is still going on?

Christ guys, some of you need to get out more and stop trying to prove someone over the internet incorrect.

This is still going on?

Christ guys, some of you need to get out more and stop trying to prove someone over the internet incorrect.

Who says they dont go out?

Speaking of which, tickets booked for the Freeze festival :wub:!!

Frankly the whole "get out more", "don't argue on the internet" thing is a tired cliche. I understand what you're trying to say - effectively "I have better things to do than write something, and you don't".

We arn't talking about writing a research paper, writing a post takes a few minutes at most, and we're talking about football - of course it harbors various opinions and many of those are along partisan lines. Lots of the threads have interesting discussions about formations and strategy, youth players - both between fans of the club and everyone else though, so it certainly isn't all about that. That variety here, alongside football fans who seem to understand perhaps a little more than most when it comes to the game, is why I find it fun to contribute here.

In some cases, like this, the arguments become circular because people are immovable from their point. This happens both online and offline, by the way. I suggest rather than deciding you're "above it" while disdainfully condemning those who attempt to contribute constructively to the discussion as wasting their time, you write something constructive or interesting; or perhaps look through some of the threads at the many interesting replies as inspiration to change the direction of the discussion.

In short, it's very easy to moan without doing anything positive to change it.

In short I agree with the above.

Would we rather a forum where no-one discussed things (however repetitive, to me 2 managers and a load of fans defending a clown who constantly ***** up is repetitive) that would be obvious talking points in any pub across the land?

Last edited:
Back