The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
"Contrary to stuff being leaked by Liverpool, City have absolutely no interest in Luis Suarez. My take on Liverpool briefing Merseyside press on Suarez is so Rodgers can knock it down at his press conference today. The other possibility is that they want to sell, and have started the auction rolling. Whichever way, the story is nonsense," tweets Manchester Evening News Manchester City reporter Stuart Brennan.

its highly unlikely but hugo himself has said he wont rule out leaving in january

He can rule out all he wants, between that 15 mil fee and being benched he isn't going anywhere. Nobody buys secondary GK for 15 mil.

Last edited:
It's a transfer window... when isn't it bad news for us.

Haha quite. I don't expect him to leave, though I expect FSG to entertain the offer. But Liverpool are so reliant on him, that 40m in the pocket doesn't outweigh the loss of Suarez.

Edinson Cavani's agent Claudio Annellucci confirm Liverpool are talking with the 25 year old striker.
''There's been alot of interest the past 6 months, and we just want to do whats best for him. Liverpool and Arsenal are the first clubs Cavani have agreed to open talks with.''
''It's no secret Edin (Cavani) want's to play in England, it is one of his biggest dreams.
Claudio on Cavani being linked with City and Chelsea:
''I know him personally and how he deals with the situation, succes and glory has nothing to do with the club he plays for. He plays football because that's what he loves to do. Big money and succes is no attraction for him'' - Cavani's agent Claudio Annellucci in a interview with El Telegrafo.

Pretty interesting, Cavani, Suarez would be perfect... still.

Cavani and Suarez have a great partnership , they completely ripped us apart last wednesday vs. Uruguay. Easily best pair of strikers i've seen since Torres+Villa in 2008 (well almost everyone plays with 1 in front but still)

No offence but Liverpool need more than Cavani to make Europa league this year

Not true. Don't get me wrong, Cavani's a pipe dream and we won't sign him. Nowhere near. But just Cavani would make us finish about 6/5th this year. Look at Falcao, and Napoli, there teams don't have many superstars, but they have a striker that can finish anything.

Not true. Don't get me wrong, Cavani's a pipe dream and we won't sign him. Nowhere near. But just Cavani would make us finish about 6/5th this year. Look at Falcao, and Napoli, there teams don't have many superstars, but they have a striker that can finish anything.

Napoli and Aletico have a lot of quality through their sides, and are exceptionally good units. I'd daresay they have better overall XI's than Liverpool, certainly Atletico do. Doing the rest of their side a bit of a disservice

A Suarez & Cavani partnership [on a regular basis] is something that would literally destroy teams.. My God..

Napoli and Aletico have a lot of quality through their sides, and are exceptionally good units. I'd daresay they have better overall XI's than Liverpool, certainly Atletico do. Doing the rest of their side a bit of a disservice

Really? You think they have a better starting XI? I would definitely disagree with that. Falcao and Cavani are amazing strikers but the Premier League is head and shoulders above any other European league. In fact, the only club competition that I would even compare in terms of difficulty is the Champions League.. Both sides would struggle to find European football in this league, IMO.

Also, I honestly don't see why Atletico would be willing to sell Falcao for €55m, they paid €45m.. Not much of a profit.

A Suarez & Cavani partnership [on a regular basis] is something that would literally destroy teams.. My God..

Really? You think they have a better starting XI? I would definitely disagree with that. Falcao and Cavani are amazing strikers but the Premier League is head and shoulders above any other European league. In fact, the only club competition that I would even compare in terms of difficulty is the Champions League.. Both sides would struggle to find European football in this league, IMO.

Also, I honestly don't see why Atletico would be willing to sell Falcao for €55m, they paid €45m.. Not much of a profit.

Probably, because of the sheer density of quality in the league right now. I also think that Liverpool would struggle for CL in La Liga, never mind to be leading Real by 5 points and 3 points behind Barcelona. Superstar striker or not.

The Premier League is not head and shoulders above. You need to open you eyes and watch some continental football on regualr basis, you really do.. And yes they do have better XI's. Especially Atletico, they would be a bigger threat in this league than any one of Arsenal Spurs or Liverpool. They already tore apart Chelsea, with a display of football that isn't a one off by any means.

De Sanctis
Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Gamberini
Maggio, Behrami, Inler, Zuniga
Pandev, Hamsik
Cavani​

That isn't a better starting 11 than Liverpool's? Really? Liverpool's first team is so short of good players they're having to bring though the - admittedly extremely talented, but undeniably raw - likes of Wisdom, Sterling and Suso to be regular starters, purely because the likes of Downing, Cole and Henderson are so ****** rubbish. As for Atletico's first 11, there's no contest. There's no weak link at all in their team, and in Falcao have the best out and out forward in the world bar none.

The Premier League is slightly better than any other European league, but that doesn't mean Liverpool are better than Atletico or Napoli. Napoli and Atletico are 2nd in their respective leagues; Liverpool 13th. The EPL isn't SO much better that the 13th best English team is better than the 2nd best Spanish and Italian teams, no way at all. As such, using leagues as a comparison is pretty flawed.

Liverpool are miles behind At. Madrid and Napolil. As for premier league being the best league in the world... Why? Because sky sports says so? La Liga is the best league in the world by a country mile. Then the German league (can't spell it lol).

@Godcubed: What!? Atletico are not the 2nd best team in their league.. Liverpool are not the 13th best team in England. My point was I believe Liverpool would qualify for Champions League football in Spain.. I think Arsenal would, Tottenham, Everton & maybe even Newcastle.

Also Napoli do have a very good side, but is it better than Liverpool's? I'm not convinced.

@DarloGeorge: No.. Just no. P.s miles is not a legitimate way of measuring an opinion.

The Premier League is not head and shoulders above. You need to open you eyes and watch some continental football on regualr basis, you really do.. And yes they do have better XI's. Especially Atletico, they would be a bigger threat in this league than any one of Arsenal Spurs or Liverpool. They already tore apart Chelsea, with a display of football that isn't a one off by any means.

It is.. I do watch continental football. France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Russia, Spanish. Have you ever watched a Spanish game not involving one of the top 4? Same goes for Russia, Holland, & France. Italy is a very good league to watch because a lot of clubs are on the same kinda level.. Mostly because they're all equally poor. Germany also produce some good games, and is IMO the second best European country for domestic football.

Compare any European league table with England's and it's fairly obvious who wins.

Falcao destroyed Chelsea, tbf.

Last edited:
It is.. I do watch continental football. France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Russia, Spanish. Have you ever watched a Spanish game not involving one of the top 4? Same goes for Russia, Holland, & France. Italy is a very good league to watch because a lot of clubs are on the same kinda level.. Mostly because they're all equally poor. Germany also produce some good games, and is IMO the second best European country for domestic football.

Compare any European league table with England's and it's fairly obvious who wins.

Falcao destroyed Chelsea, tbf.

yeah I do, I go out of my way to watch outside the top 4, that's where you start see some of the depth, even though its horribly exacerbated by the way the money is shared in the league. England are not comfortably ahead. But more to the point, Liverpool's just does not compare to Atletico.

No offence but Liverpool need more than Cavani to make Europa league this year

Liverpool are miles behind At. Madrid and Napolil. As for premier league being the best league in the world... Why? Because sky sports says so? La Liga is the best league in the world by a country mile. Then the German league (can't spell it lol).

Liverpool have lacked 2 main playrs this year, a person to support Suarez and a player to keep the midfield steady and be very cautious

Cavani would solve one and Lucas another... if you watch the games we have played we have played very well until the final
third

a starling line up of:

Reina
Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Enrique
Lucas
Gerrard - Allen/Sahin
Sterling - Cavani - Suarez

That first 11 is not miles behind Napoli and A.Madrid..

we just havent got the cover and injuries have meant we are weaker in areas

Off topic: Yes the premier league is the best without doubt...

Barcelona or Real will win the league, and its very much likely to be them two in a different league

Premier league is much more competitive and and the last couple of week has shown that, the games have been brilliant .. the best league for entertainment value by a mile

Liverpool have lacked 2 main playrs this year, a person to support Suarez and a player to keep the midfield steady and be very cautious

Cavani would solve one and Lucas another... if you watch the games we have played we have played very well until the final
third

a starling line up of:

Reina
Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Enrique
Lucas
Gerrard - Allen/Sahin
Sterling - Cavani - Suarez

That first 11 is not miles behind Napoli and A.Madrid..

we just havent got the cover and injuries have meant we are weaker in areas

Off topic: Yes the premier league is the best without doubt...

Barcelona or Real will win the league, and its very much likely to be them two in a different league

Premier league is much more competitive and and the last couple of week has shown that, the games have been brilliant .. the best league for entertainment value by a mile

Should probably put signing Cavani to bed. Unless you have 40 million, plus wages.

@Godcubed: What!? Atletico are not the 2nd best team in their league.. Liverpool are not the 13th best team in England. My point was I believe Liverpool would qualify for Champions League football in Spain.. I think Arsenal would, Tottenham, Everton & maybe even Newcastle.

Also Napoli do have a very good side, but is it better than Liverpool's? I'm not convinced.

Go check the league tables. When I said each team's position in their respective leagues, I meant that. I'm not going to get into some subjective debate about where each side ranks. I used the table, the most unbiased source possible.

You reckon Liverpool are better than Valencia and Atletico? You'd have to be **** optimistic to say so, and one of those isn't even in the top four. Liverpool aren't a whole lot better than Malaga, let alone some of the others. Arsenal might, Spurs might, Everton and Newcastle might, but they're currently all better teams than Liverpool so it's a bit of a moot point.

And yes, Napoli's squad is better than Liverpool's. The defence is the only real area in which Liverpool can have a legitimate claim to hold an advantage, but everything else - 'keeper, midfield, and especially attack - Napoli clean up.

yeah I do, I go out of my way to watch outside the top 4, that's where you start see some of the depth, even though its horribly exacerbated by the way the money is shared in the league. England are not comfortably ahead. But more to the point, Liverpool's just does not compare to Atletico.

Napoli's side is not that great.. You take away Cavani and the team falls apart.. Still a lot of big names in there but no real attacking threat, just a lot of players who can pass the ball. Take Falcao away from Atletico and you have nothing.. No big names, no players that will put fear into the opponent.

I know the same could be said about Suarez but my point is, they are not top sides, they are above average sides with one world-class player who they will eventually lose because they cannot compete in their domestic league/ the Champions League.

Back