The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Agreed Mike, can I ask what is your opinion on Borini? I thought he was pretty good before his injury, yes he was wasteful but I put that down to a lack of confidence rather than pure finishing ability. Plus, his movement in the box is really intelligent, almost as good as Suarez. It's a shame that he lacks that yard of pace to beat his man though.

I think Rodgers had an interesting experiment going on with Borini. I reckon he was trying to recreate a Spain-style false nine situation, with Borini coming in from a wide position as Suarez vacates the centre. As such, Borini had to get acclimatised, and just as soon as it started looking fluid and threatening, he got injured. Unlucky, and a big loss.

I think Rodgers had an interesting experiment going on with Borini. I reckon he was trying to recreate a Spain-style false nine situation, with Borini coming in from a wide position as Suarez vacates the centre. As such, Borini had to get acclimatised, and just as soon as it started looking fluid and threatening, he got injured. Unlucky, and a big loss.

Indeed, I really thought we had something with Borini as he was getting closer and closer, but the injury has put a bit of a stop to his progress. Can't wait till he comes back.

I felt that Borini was the driving force for Swansea in their bid for premier league promotion.

On an unrelated note, is anyone worried about Sterling reaching the peak of his potential too early? Or is it just me?

We create plenty of chances, but how many are clear cut?

most the clear cut chances come from a move most the time involving Gerrard..

Indeed, I really thought we had something with Borini as he was getting closer and closer, but the injury has put a bit of a stop to his progress. Can't wait till he comes back.

Big fan of Borini, personally thought he should be leading the line, allowing Suarez to isolate his man one on one. But its a blow for sure.

We create plenty of chances, but how many are clear cut?

most the clear cut chances come from a move most the time involving Gerrard..

Most converted chances aren't clear cut. Playing Gerrard where he is, is actually limiting the effect of Sahin, and partly Allen too.

Torres Situation now could be the same as Sterling in the future.. only time will tell

Torres situation came around a lot because of his knee injury though, he used to just use his pace as his go to thing and just run past everyone and everything. Before April he was still playing well and scoring often, he came back for the world cup and was poor all through it not looking nearly the player he was, same can be said for when he returned to Liverpool.

Sold him at the right time, the knee injury and subsequent surgery lost him that pace which he used so much. He just doesn't seem to be able to play without it.

Torres situation came around a lot because of his knee injury though, he used to just use his pace as his go to thing and just run past everyone and everything. Before April he was still playing well and scoring often, he came back for the world cup and was poor all through it not looking nearly the player he was, same can be said for when he returned to Liverpool.

Sold him at the right time, the knee injury and subsequent surgery lost him that pace which he used so much. He just doesn't seem to be able to play without it.

He broke through at a very young age at A.Madrid.. signed for big money with big expectations at liverpool

was so heavily relied upon that he was rushed back from injuries, given painkilling injections and playing with a slight injury..

then add he played 3 season without any break.. Euro, Confed, World Cup aswell as seasons inbetween playing almost every game possible..

Torres peaked early and now in my opinion for those reasons is declining

Sterling COULD have this effect but its a very early stage to suggest he can have the impact Torres had...

He broke through at a very young age at A.Madrid.. signed for big money with big expectations at liverpool

was so heavily relied upon that he was rushed back from injuries, given painkilling injections and playing with a slight injury..

then add he played 3 season without any break.. Euro, Confed, World Cup aswell as seasons inbetween playing almost every game possible..

Torres peaked early and now in my opinion for those reasons is declining

Sterling COULD have this effect but its a very early stage to suggest he can have the impact Torres had...

Apart from his first season he played less games a season that he did for most of his time at A.Madrid, the Injury issues with his knee was the big thing that changed it all. I agree with you though that he was rushed back for the world cup then jumped right back into playing in the league.
You needed time from the first one in January or whenever it was but was needed, then he played in the world cup only two months after the second.

Same thing happened to Owen, brilliant player but injuries were his downfall.

Sooo... Liverpool being linked with Thomas Ince for 6-7 million.

The same guy you let go for nothing, right?

I know he's decent but is he what Liverpool really need considering they already have Downing, Suso, Assaidi (bad spelling), Sterling, Enrique (lately) who can all play on the flanks.

Rodgers should focus on getting a striker and a half decent Left Back because you won't get too far playing Downing there. That's assuming Enrique he sees as a further forward option from now on.

Different regimes..

The lad is excelling in the championship, a good young wide player and whatever we pay we get 35% off anyway due to a clause... Not that bad a signing

What's with Samed Yesil? I watch our Europa matches but Rodgers' preferred Morgan there instead of this guy when given the chance. Also Assaidi is quite good on the left wing, it really looks like we've got a bargain here.

Have to agree with what was mentioned earlier about Borini, just when he was starting to adapt.. it's a shame because he's such a useful goal poacher, his work rate is good, and he makes those runs which just need picking out. We need a natural left back who can tackle and isn't too bad going forward and our defence will be great. Agger, Skrtel, Johnson.. just need a good left back. Would like to see how Jack Robinson does there. In midfield we have Sahin, Allen, Lucas, Gerrard, Shelvey.. Rodgers' needs to start giving Sahin a chance, he wasn't too bad overall.. he just wasn't played enough after a couple of poor performances.
He should be in our advanced playmaker role if our managers insist on leaving Gerrard to be a deep lying playmaker.

We've got a decent squad with loads of potential and I have confidence that the team is getting better every passing match and now we can just hope the board don't sack Rodgers any time soon. And I read somewhere that if West Ham stay up this season in the PL, Liverpool are guaranteed 17 million due to the Carroll loan. Anyone know whether that is true?

Define "let him go", he was only 17 or 18 when he left (had only been a professional for one season), nobody forced him out, it was his choice. Highly doubt we'd be stupid enough to pay £7m for him though, not when you consider he can re-join us in the Summer for free.

2 hours. 3 points could be great for our confidence and could really get our season going. We're unbeaten in 8 games (PL) I believe but we've drawn most of them. If we start winning it would be even better.

Did anyone see our match against Young Boys in the Europa? Shelvey was being played as a false nine.. and he did quite well. Specially that flick to put Henderson one on one with the 'keeper (even though he missed)

Back