The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Needlessly giving it away 2-3 times in this match is worth it considering we'd give it away 100% of the time if they just hoofed it forward.

But Stoke have scored from those 2-3 times, I'd rather us just to 'Get rid' when under ridiculous pressure, but fair play to Stoke for taking advantage of our weakness at the back and midfield.

But Stoke have scored from those 2-3 times, I'd rather us just to 'Get rid' when under ridiculous pressure, but fair play to Stoke for taking advantage of our weakness at the back and midfield.

Stoke haven't scored directly from us losing possession when passing it around at the back.

Stoke haven't scored directly from us losing possession when passing it around at the back.

Correct, but they have still led to throw ins and corners, which practically ARE direct opportunities for Stoke. Forgive me for sounding fickle but I'm just irate at seeing us make the same mistakes from time to time. But yeah you're probably right that "hoofing" the ball wouldn't be that much better, I do believe there that Tezz has a good point.

same old, inconsistency.

4-3-3 away is awful and useless. Leaves us way too open time and time again, if we don't change how we play away brendan won't last much longer at all

The same people come on here every week.. Praise the team when winning, slate and want to change everything when losing..

if the solution was that easy don't you think we would be champions?

Stoke away is an incredibly hard game, and although I hate how they play its effective and very hard to stop.. It was always going to be an indifferent season and was always going to be a hard fixture

Basically what some fans want is us to turn in to a long ball team, and rely on pace to chase down hopeless balls..

absolutely brilliant idea, and when we play like that you'll criticise how we're the new Stoke or West Ham..

i seriously wonder people's logic sometimes :/

Correct, but they have still led to throw ins and corners, which practically ARE direct opportunities for Stoke. Forgive me for sounding fickle but I'm just irate at seeing us make the same mistakes from time to time. But yeah you're probably right that "hoofing" the ball wouldn't be that much better, I do believe there that Tezz has a good point.

Given that the alternative he provided is a far worse idea and plays to Stoke's strengths far more, I'd say it wasn't a very good point.

Also I guess I'll be the one to point out that today Gerrard attempted 15 (FIFTEEN) long balls, more than the entire Stoke midfield put together and the second-most on the entire field apart from Begovic. In fact, Liverpool as a whole attempted six more long balls than Stoke did, so I'm not quite sure where this "oh we shouldn't play this tippy-tappy stuff and should instead HOOOOOF" has come from, given that you pretty much did and it failed epically.

Also I guess I'll be the one to point out that today Gerrard attempted 15 (FIFTEEN) long balls, more than the entire Stoke midfield put together and the second-most on the entire field apart from Begovic. In fact, Liverpool as a whole attempted six more long balls than Stoke did, so I'm not quite sure where this "oh we shouldn't play this tippy-tappy stuff and should instead HOOOOOF" has come from, given that you pretty much did and it failed epically.

Interesting that the game we do this in is the one game you would not 'plan' to do it in

think it emphasises how we were struggling to create chances and lacking any ideas how to break stoke down..

which all points to a poor attack and lack of attacking players, something we already knew

Have to applaud Rodgers though with his honesty, giving credit to Pulis and at the same time admitting why they lost so badly. Any manager could've made excuses but he doesn't hide hide the facts (to quote a Rafa lol). I suspect they will improve after the window but right now it's a case of having to batten down the hatches and do what you can

The same people come on here every week.. Praise the team when winning, slate and want to change everything when losing..

if the solution was that easy don't you think we would be champions?

Stoke away is an incredibly hard game, and although I hate how they play its effective and very hard to stop.. It was always going to be an indifferent season and was always going to be a hard fixture

I slated our inconsistency, which you can't argue against. we beat Fulham 4-0 last week and kicked ****, this week we sloppily went down 3-1 with mistakes and few chances.

our tactics away should be different from home, at home teams come to defend mainly, not away.

ah well, we won't get near the top again unless we spend big, which we won't, so this'll continue for years.

Interesting that the game we do this in is the one game you would not 'plan' to do it in

think it emphasises how we were struggling to create chances and lacking any ideas how to break stoke down..

which all points to a poor attack and lack of attacking players, something we already knew

Or perhaps it points to Rodgers trying to mix up the style and failing. Not entirely sure, but it illustrates just how well Stoke played. Sometimes you just need to applaud your opponent for destroying almost all avenues of attack extremely well. Today was one such day.

Or perhaps it points to Rodgers trying to mix up the style and failing. Not entirely sure, but it illustrates just how well Stoke played. Sometimes you just need to applaud your opponent for destroying almost all avenues of attack extremely well. Today was one such day.

Like today for us today against Wigan. It was in all honesty a very uncomfortable match for us in which Wigan deserve credit. But Pullis has done a great job at Stoke getting them stabilised as a Prem team aswell. Strong, well organised. The basics which you need to survive the Premier League

Last edited:
Although Rodgers seems to be getting criticism, maybe it's just time to face facts.

our team is not good enough, people are expecting too much because of the past, and this is due to a number of bad decisions in the past few years.

Last edited:
Although Rodgers seems to be getting criticism, maybe it's just time to face facts.

our team is not good enough, people of expecting too much because of the past, and this is due to a number of bad decisions in the past few years.

The same with every club in a transitional period. Though I still remember how superb Liverpool have been in the past, this happens with every club that has to adjust. We had a torrid time adjusting and are now very, very stable even with very little money being available. Liverpool may have to ride the rocky rollercoaster, but every club has to now and again. And the majority of the time the well established clubs pull through. More fans like yourself just have to be more realistic about the situation

Last edited:
Given that the alternative he provided is a far worse idea and plays to Stoke's strengths far more, I'd say it wasn't a very good point.

I did sorta agree with him about just getting rid of the ball when under pressure. I thought his comment about abusing our "sweaty pace" was said in good humour though :/ Still as I said, fair play to Stoke, they played a great pressure game and our players couldn't handle it unfortunately but whatever, we have to just try again next time.

I actually do agree with Marshall on how we aren't good enough though, and I am willing to back Rodgers. Hr does make some awful decisions at times but I think he might be the right man for the job.

The same with every club in a transitional period. Though I still remember how superb Liverpool have been in the past, this happens with every club that has to adjust. We had a torrid time adjusting and are now very, very stable even with very little money being available. Liverpool may have to ride the rocky rollercoaster, but every club has to now and again. And the majority of the time the well established clubs pull through. More fans like yourself just have to be more realistic about the situation

I say it everytime, but when you replace Torres-Mascherano-Alonso- with Carroll, Downing, Henderson and Adam for similar money, its seriously down to previous regimes

transfer market has been the main reason, and we have been appalling in it since Rafa left

I actually do agree with Marshall on how we aren't good enough though, and I am willing to back Rodgers. Hr does make some awful decisions at times but I think he might be the right man for the job.

I think he is the right man for the job myself-he needs the right players though. Like I mentioned before it's transition. I still think Liverpool will make Europa, then the club can build from that. But some of the players really do need to step up to the plate. Gerrard has carried them on his shoulders before but he can only do so much, and he needs the right players with the same mentallity around him

I say it everytime, but when you replace Torres-Mascherano-Alonso- with Carroll, Downing, Henderson and Adam for similar money, its seriously down to previous regimes

transfer market has been the main reason, and we have been appalling in it since Rafa left

Agree there. As much as I love Dalglish when he played, he simply made bad choices as a manager. The best players Liverpool have when they have the right supporting players are Suarez and Gerrard (slight Gerrard bias here lol). I mean yes Suarez has a reputation-but he is a fantastic player who has sublime skill, and I've always been a huge Gerrard fan. Though Downing lately has had fantasic games. But Gerrard needs help-he's not the same anymore, and it's obvious time is taking it's toll. But I would love to see Liverpool in Europe with Everton. It may sound odd to people, but it's bringing back the good old days when Merseyside was a force to be reckoned with. May be nostalgia talking, but I genuinely would dearly love to see it again

Back