The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
No point in Xabi returning, Rodgers wont use him properly at this rate.

If we did sign Xabi how would he fit into Rodgers' system? I imagine he would end up like Sahin did.

4-2-3-1 system we seem to be playing would suit him, would it not?

Would give us depth in the CM position aswell

You said that about Sahin as well did you not? And we all see how that turned out.

Thats because Rodgers did not play a 4-2-3-1 while Sahin was at the club as we had no AMC... Gerrard was not liked their due to his age/fitness worry or whatever Rodgers thought ETC

Now we have signed Coutinho and Sturridge it seems we have players better suited to the formation in the mind of rodgers

since they signed we have played 4-2-3-1 in every match they have been available

EDIT:

Would we not play something like:

Lucas - Alonso

Suarez - Gerrard - Coutinho

Sturridge

With Gerrard dropping deeper and making a midfield three when needed?

Last edited:
Thats because Rodgers did not play a 4-2-3-1 while Sahin was at the club as we had no AMC... Gerrard was not liked their due to his age/fitness worry or whatever Rodgers thought ETC

Now we have signed Coutinho and Sturridge it seems we have players better suited to the formation in the mind of rodgers

since they signed we have played 4-2-3-1 in every match they have been available

EDIT:

Would we not play something like:

Lucas - Alonso

Suarez - Gerrard - Coutinho

Sturridge

With Gerrard dropping deeper and making a midfield three when needed?

On paper that looks brilliant, but Rodgers likes the team to pass short pretty much all of the time. Alonso's accurate long balls are arguably his best asset, and I'm not sure Rodgers would be overly keen for him to try them too often.

On paper that looks brilliant, but Rodgers likes the team to pass short pretty much all of the time. Alonso's accurate long balls are arguably his best asset, and I'm not sure Rodgers would be overly keen for him to try them too often.

I think as the season has gone on he has slightly changed, as Gerrard often hits a switch or a long ball..... Alonso would basically replace Gerrard in that role

but again its all If's ... if anything it will give us better depth which is where we seem lack

I think as the season has gone on he has slightly changed, as Gerrard often hits a switch or a long ball..... Alonso would basically replace Gerrard in that role

but again its all If's ... if anything it will give us better depth which is where we seem lack

Fair enough, I haven't watched Liverpool that much recently.

Getting slightly worried with all this Suarez speculation..

you lads think we could replace him if he did leave? we would get 40-50mil and we have replaced top strikers before?

Maybe you can replace him as a striker but not as a hate magnet. :P

you lads think we could replace him if he did leave? we would get 40-50mil and we have replaced top strikers before?

Meh, nothing to worry about. Suarez Leaving headlines are just signs that it's a dull time for football (ie. International Fixtures).

I don't think you'd be getting that much money, more like 30m IMO (if he wants to leave and you're willing to sell). That said, 30m can still go a long way. If you were looking to replace him with an out-and-out striker you could probably get Negredo or even Soldado for that money (provided Valencia don't make it into the CL, either). There's also Diego Costa, who is a bit of a **** but I absolutely love him as a player, and Adrian Lopez (who is more of a second striker or even a winger, might just work well with Sturridge), who's not been good this season but the quality's there. Both play for Atlético Madrid, though, and may be unwilling to leave a club that's playing in the CL.

Apart from that there are rumours of Alexis Sanchez being allowed to leave this summer with Juve or Inter as possible destinations. If Juve came calling I'm afraid you'd have little chance, otherwise he could be a good replacement, even if he hasn't quite cut the mustard for Barcelona. Jérémy Ménez might be available too, provided he's willing to change Paris for Liverpool.

It's all pure speculation, though.

Highly doubt he'll leave, like Lee said just a dull time atm for football so they're doing what they usually do and linking every half decent player with 12 clubs.

Hope it is just dull speculation...

I don't think you'd be getting that much money, more like 30m IMO (if he wants to leave and you're willing to sell). That said, 30m can still go a long way. If you were looking to replace him with an out-and-out striker you could probably get Negredo or even Soldado for that money (provided Valencia don't make it into the CL, either). There's also Diego Costa, who is a bit of a **** but I absolutely love him as a player, and Adrian Lopez (who is more of a second striker or even a winger, might just work well with Sturridge), who's not been good this season but the quality's there. Both play for Atlético Madrid, though, and may be unwilling to leave a club that's playing in the CL.

Apart from that there are rumours of Alexis Sanchez being allowed to leave this summer with Juve or Inter as possible destinations. If Juve came calling I'm afraid you'd have little chance, otherwise he could be a good replacement, even if he hasn't quite cut the mustard for Barcelona. Jérémy Ménez might be available too, provided he's willing to change Paris for Liverpool.

It's all pure speculation, though.

If we sell for 30million it would be laughable, with the current prices of players Suarez demands a fee of 40mil+ ... he is arguably more important than Torres was

If i was chairman and he wanted to go, i wouldnt even listen to anything below 40-45mil

Hope it is just dull speculation...

If we sell for 30million it would be laughable, with the current prices of players Suarez demands a fee of 40mil+ ... he is arguably more important than Torres was

If i was chairman and he wanted to go, i wouldnt even listen to anything below 40-45mil

The thing is, just because Chelsea paid 50m for Torres and you paid 50m for Carroll doesn't mean they're actually worth that much money. Both were winter window transfers and were done in a hurry to beat the deadline. I'm not sure Suarez would command such a fee, although I do agree that he's become more of an important player than Torres was, if only because the rest of your team hasn't quite been up to the task throughout the season (honourable mentions go to Sturridge and maybe Glen Johnson) and he's been pretty much the only reason you're still "up there".

The thing is, just because Chelsea paid 50m for Torres and you paid 50m for Carroll doesn't mean they're actually worth that much money. Both were winter window transfers and were done in a hurry to beat the deadline. I'm not sure Suarez would command such a fee, although I do agree that he's become more of an important player than Torres was, if only because the rest of your team hasn't quite been up to the task throughout the season (honourable mentions go to Sturridge and maybe Glen Johnson) and he's been pretty much the only reason you're still "up there".

Well with Cavani apparently valued at 60million and talk of a 45-50 for Falcao

cant see why Suarez would command a fee for any less... it would really make me question LFC if we did value him at 30million as you think he would go for, its almost a bargain for who gets him if that was the price

Well with Cavani apparently valued at 60million and talk of a 45-50 for Falcao

cant see why Suarez would command a fee for any less... it would really make me question LFC if we did value him at 30million as you think he would go for, its almost a bargain for who gets him if that was the price

Well, I know he had only a year left in his contract and he's not as young as Suarez but when you see Van Persie go for 22m after carrying his team troughout the season and being the league's top scorer, I don't think you could as for as much as 40-50m for Suarez. Not even Aguero hit the 40m mark when he moved (and we're talking about Manchester City!). The only clubs I could see paying that much would be PSG, who seem to have a complete disregard for FFP, or some Russian club and I don't see him moving there in a million years.

If he were to interest some of the "big" european clubs (Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern...) you might just get a player + cash swap deal which could work in your favor, though. The likes of Alexis or Afellay spring to mind.

Sahin gave us 'better depth' for £80k a week. The moral of the story is, if he doesn't play how Rodger's wants him to... He just doesn't play.

If Suarez leaves I will become suicidal.

There's a huge difference between replacing Suarez and replacing somebody like Owen or Torres.. Suarez gives us so much more than just goals.

But I honestly don't think the rumours are true, he only signed a new deal in the summer. Maybe if an offer of like £60m+ came in then we might not be able to say no.. Hopefully we won't ever be put in that position though!

Stories like this always come out when players go back to their home country.. Usually because papers cannot translate properly.. Or because their home journalists pressure them to answer questions. Kind of scared by how defensive the club are being about it though.

Last edited:
Well, I know he had only a year left in his contract and he's not as young as Suarez but when you see Van Persie go for 22m after carrying his team troughout the season and being the league's top scorer, I don't think you could as for as much as 40-50m for Suarez. Not even Aguero hit the 40m mark when he moved (and we're talking about Manchester City!). The only clubs I could see paying that much would be PSG, who seem to have a complete disregard for FFP, or some Russian club and I don't see him moving there in a million years.

If he were to interest some of the "big" european clubs (Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern...) you might just get a player + cash swap deal which could work in your favor, though. The likes of Alexis or Afellay spring to mind.

RVP wanted out and the year left on his contract basically cuts 10mil off whatever anyone was going to pay for him. Arsenal had to sell so they didn't lose him on a free.

Suarez is younger, offers more to the team than just goals, is in better form and has a long contract. If he goes for 30mil Liverpool would have been robbed, anything less than 40mil should be laughed off and hardly anyone is going to want shell out 45-50mil for a player.

Last edited:
Back