The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Nah, Ben Arfa is a very good player but he's just so injury prone it wouldn't be worth it.. Personally think we should just take the money on Carroll..West Ham's option is like £17m isn't it? Newcastle paid like £6m for Ben Arfa.. No chance is he good enough for them to triple their money. Even if West Ham aren't interested (which would only happen if Big Sam is kicked out by the retarded group of fans thinking they should play like Barca even though that gets them relegated), we could turn to Newcastle and see what they are willing to offer.. They would probably offer around the £15m mark too.

I personally think that if we are going to make a player exchange deal with Newcastle it should involve Tiote (unless he's in prison for the start of next season ;))

Ben Arfa is great but yes very injury prone. Tiote hasn't actually been that good this season. Nevertheless I can't see Newcastle selling/ him wanting to go to Liverpool

If you think you can get 15m for Carroll out of West Ham or Newcastle then just wow.

Nah, Ben Arfa is a very good player but he's just so injury prone it wouldn't be worth it.. Personally think we should just take the money on Carroll..West Ham's option is like £17m isn't it? Newcastle paid like £6m for Ben Arfa.. No chance is he good enough for them to triple their money. Even if West Ham aren't interested (which would only happen if Big Sam is kicked out by the retarded group of fans thinking they should play like Barca even though that gets them relegated), we could turn to Newcastle and see what they are willing to offer.. They would probably offer around the £15m mark too.

I personally think that if we are going to make a player exchange deal with Newcastle it should involve Tiote (unless he's in prison for the start of next season ;))

You reckon HBA isn't worth 18 mil, but Carroll is worth at least 15?

Sounds... optimistic.

Sounds... optimistic.
Think I read Ashley has slapped a £25 mill price tag on all players
wouldn't rule out a £25 million for Perch from Liverpool

Think I read Ashley has slapped a £25 mill price tag on all players
wouldn't rule out a £25 million for Perch from Liverpool

Sounds dodgy to me, no chairman would set a standard blanket price on all his players, and certainly not in public. Apart from maybe Dave Whelan, but he's a muppet anyway.

Sounds dodgy to me, no chairman would set a standard blanket price on all his players, and certainly not in public. Apart from maybe Dave Whelan, but he's a muppet anyway.
just a rumour I think, not formally set

Sounds... optimistic.

He isn't worth £18m - I never said Carroll was worth £15m either, just that I heard that's what the agreed price was.. Not to mention the fact they were stupid enough to pay over £5m to have him for one season (in fees and wages).. Seems pretty plausible to me.

Last edited:
But Sahin is a good player and it was a goodish deal? He just wasn't used enough/ used wrong by Rodgers.

Poor effort.

I fail to see how West Ham paying that money to have a striker that fits their system very well and has been a good player for them is stupid. It wasn't cheap, but it was from a waste. Meanwhile you spunked silly money on a loanee you never used/used poorly so I'm just wondering how you can say that West Ham are stupid.

But Sahin is a good player and it was a goodish deal? He just wasn't used enough/ used wrong by Rodgers.

Poor effort.

He isn't worth £18m - I never said Carroll was worth £15m either, just that I heard that's what the agreed price was.. Not to mention the fact they were stupid enough to pay over £5m to have him for one season (in fees and wages).. Seems pretty plausible to me.

Carroll is also a good player, perhaps not as good as Sahin at their respective jobs, but the clincher is he was used far more EFFECTIVELY and to his potential than Sahin was. You can't just measure how good a deal is in isolation, by kind of looking at it and going "yeah seems about right". Carroll was a great pickup for West Ham who has helped their cause greatly. Same can't be said of Sahin and Liverpool. They were around the same kind of price, but only one of them actually did anything. The fact that their managers used them incorrectly or not is moot.

So Carroll isn't worth £15 mil - despite you claiming that's apparently what the market is willing to pay for him, which is by definition what a player is worth - and HBA isn't worth £18 mil either. So what are their respective values then, in your eyes? I'm intrigued.

In what world is that a "goodish deal"?

Villa's deal for Jermaine Jenas last year was goodish. Sure, he got injured for the rest of the season after like 2 sub apps, but we didn't pay much of a fee at all!

At no point was sahin a goodish deal, or a decent deal or even an average one. It was an awful deal, period.

Now as a supporter of the king of bad deals side i'll have my say. Sahin was a bad deal for everyone involved. Glad he has left before he started to be forgotten.

In what world is that a "goodish deal"?

Initially, I (and pretty much everyone else) thought it was a good deal.. Sure, it turned out it wasn't going to be so, maybe a move to Arsenal would have been better for him after all! I'm sure you will all look back and pretend you 'knew' it was a bad deal to begin with, but whatever.

Villa's deal for Jermaine Jenas last year was goodish. Sure, he got injured for the rest of the season after like 2 sub apps, but we didn't pay much of a fee at all!

Was that sarcasm?

Jermaine Jenas to cost Aston Villa £1m in wages | Mail Online

According to that article, he cost Aston Villa at least £1.6m in wages. Did he even start a match?

In response to your other reply, I don't really understand what you're trying to get at if I'm honest.. Seems as if you're trying to argue with me for the sake of arguing.

I fail to see how West Ham paying that money to have a striker that fits their system very well and has been a good player for them is stupid. It wasn't cheap, but it was from a waste. Meanwhile you spunked silly money on a loanee you never used/used poorly so I'm just wondering how you can say that West Ham are stupid.

That's not the point I'm trying to make! People were saying that nobody would pay the agreed price on his loan.. If they are willing to spend £5m on him for one season, I'm sure they will be more than happy to spend £10-£15m to keep him on.

Was that sarcasm?

According to that article, he cost Aston Villa at least £1.6m in wages. Did he even start a match?

In response to your other reply, I don't really understand what you're trying to get at if I'm honest.. Seems as if you're trying to argue with me for the sake of arguing.

This is exactly my point. Liverpool paid a rumoured 75% of Sahin's wages, coming to a nice £86250. All in all, Liverpool paid £2,415,000 for Sahin's services, and then only gave him seven Prem appearances. So they pretty much paid him £345,000 PER APPEARANCE. Your point on Jenas - and yes, I was being sarcastic - illustrated it rather nicely. Villa were paying 80% of Jenas' wages (the Mail got their information wrong, unsurprisingly. I was doing some stuff for the Guardian at the time, and they had access to some proper sources), and as such paid Jenas £426,000 per appearance, hardly a world away from Sahin's figure. And this was considering Jenas got a serious injury after only three games!

What I'm getting at is just measuring a deal by a player's quality and going "yup, good deal" is a totally retarded way of doing it. Lots of other factors need to be taken into account, and if they are the Sahin deal can hardly be called good value for money. He was utterly wasted by Rodgers.

Initially, I (and pretty much everyone else) thought it was a good deal.. Sure, it turned out it wasn't going to be so, maybe a move to Arsenal would have been better for him after all! I'm sure you will all look back and pretend you 'knew' it was a bad deal to begin with, but whatever.

Was that sarcasm?

You seems to have totally misread everyone's point. What looked like a good deal, turned out to be utterly rubbish because your manager didnt use him properly at all, then didnt play him at all. A total waste of everyone's time, and Liverpool's money. Hence bad deal.

So no, it wasn't a good deal. It was awful.

Last edited:
Fair few rumours floating around that we're in for Henrikh Mkhitaryan from Shakhtar
24 y.o Armenian, 32 goals in 63 matches. Attacking midfielder, or striker. Mainly a midfielder, but apparently a bit like Lampard.

Back