The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Well, I know he had only a year left in his contract and he's not as young as Suarez but when you see Van Persie go for 22m after carrying his team troughout the season and being the league's top scorer, I don't think you could as for as much as 40-50m for Suarez. Not even Aguero hit the 40m mark when he moved (and we're talking about Manchester City!). The only clubs I could see paying that much would be PSG, who seem to have a complete disregard for FFP, or some Russian club and I don't see him moving there in a million years.

If he were to interest some of the "big" european clubs (Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern...) you might just get a player + cash swap deal which could work in your favor, though. The likes of Alexis or Afellay spring to mind.

like you said RVP is 29 and only has a year left on his contract and would leave on a free a year later

Suarez is 26, just recently signed a long term contract, has a brilliant goalscoring record at every level and has carried a weaker Liverpool team this season

I firmly believe though whether people think he is worth that or not, LFC will not sell for below 40 if we do sell... key part of it is who can we buy to then replace him

Its up to the bigger teams to fork out this kind of money if they wont a player who is one of the best in the world at what he does

Its up to the bigger teams to fork out this kind of money if they wont a player who is one of the best in the world at what he does

That's debatable, I mean, he does score, that's out of the question, but his chance conversion rate is below 15%. That's not exactly "world class", it's more like "if at first you don't succeed, try and try again". I believe it was even lower than Cristiano Ronaldo's, which says a lot considering Cristiano tries his luck whenever he sees an opening and, of course, the fact that he is the focal point of Real Madrid's attack.

Don't get me wrong, Suarez's overall game is up there with the best (diving, playacting and biting aside), he's got great movement, dribbling and technique, he's good at set pieces and he works hard if asked to, but in order to replicate the kind of form he's in he'd have to be the main man in the team. He's a player you can (and should) build around of, and I don't see that happening at any of the big european teams (an exception could be Juventus, I hadn't thought of that, really, but they could do with someone like Suarez up front, they've been in need of a goalscorer for years now).

That said, both Real Madrid and Barcelona tend to buy players for a lot of cash and then **** their careers up (latest victims seem to be Alexis Sanchez and Alex Song) so I might just have to eat my words up in the summer, but I'd really hate it if Suarez moved to one of those to sit on the bench.

That's debatable, I mean, he does score, that's out of the question, but his chance conversion rate is below 15%. That's not exactly "world class", it's more like "if at first you don't succeed, try and try again". I believe it was even lower than Cristiano Ronaldo's, which says a lot considering Cristiano tries his luck whenever he sees an opening and, of course, the fact that he is the focal point of Real Madrid's attack.

If you're doing that based on total shots most of the top scorers in the league are all below 15% save for a few like RVP and Michu.

Cavanis is worse than Michus.

Don't get me wrong, Suarez's overall game is up there with the best (diving, playacting and biting aside), he's got great movement, dribbling and technique, he's good at set pieces and he works hard if asked to, but in order to replicate the kind of form he's in he'd have to be the main man in the team. He's a player you can (and should) build around of, and I don't see that happening at any of the big european teams (an exception could be Juventus, I hadn't thought of that, really, but they could do with someone like Suarez up front, they've been in need of a goalscorer for years now).

That said, both Real Madrid and Barcelona tend to buy players for a lot of cash and then **** their careers up (latest victims seem to be Alexis Sanchez and Alex Song) so I might just have to eat my words up in the summer, but I'd really hate it if Suarez moved to one of those to sit on the bench.

Like i said weather you believe he is worth it or not, for what he is worth to LFC, teams either fork out the money or we wont sell in my opinion anyway

I personally think an offer of 50million would see him leave and nothing less, however thats just a complete guess

Like i said weather you believe he is worth it or not, for what he is worth to LFC, teams either fork out the money or we wont sell in my opinion anyway

I personally think an offer of 50million would see him leave and nothing less, however thats just a complete guess

I think you underestimate player power.

If Suarez really wants to leave, I can see him going for less than the £50 million. Maybe not much, but a good chunk.

I think you underestimate player power.

If Suarez really wants to leave, I can see him going for less than the £50 million. Maybe not much, but a good chunk.

Should have wrote it abit better... i meant if Suarez was open to either idea ( staying or going ) the club would only sell for 50million ish

If the player says he wants to go, i'd still be tempted to say lowest would be 40million

I would hate to see Suarez go however if he really wants to leave, for good reasons, then in my opinion "No player is bigger then the club". If he does stay then that would put major pressure on us qualifying for the CL. Even with the schedule we have remaining, I can't see us doing it this year being 9 points off, I can't see Spurs losing that spot tbh.

At least now Rodgers has had a season to evaluate who's good and who's not but he's got a massive job this summer to improve the team as I can't see us having enough money to improve the team enough for a top 4. Our midfield is where it's too weak. Downing has to go, 2 new wingers in (don't get me wrong, Sterling is potentially class but would be foollish to rely on him a whole season) and a destroyer in midfield which we've missed since Mascherano left. Allen is good but in some matches he's looked too lightweight and gets muscled off the ball too much.

If we improved those area's I think we'd definitely see a better team. What you guys think?

If you're doing that based on total shots most of the top scorers in the league are all below 15% save for a few like RVP and Michu.

Cavanis is worse than Michus.

Except for Welbeck I think all of United's forwards, for instance, are above that number, and so are the likes of Podolski, Walcott, even Lambert. And that's in the prem alone, there are plenty of others abroad (Falcao, Higuaín, Ibra, Soldado, Negredo, Villa, Lewandowski...). That said, my point was that he's not exactly clinical and as such he'd need to be the main offensive outlet in a team to replicate this kind of form (he could play a different role but it would be a bit of a waste, really...), and he won't be getting that in many other teams.

And I'll say it again - I'm not doubting his overall skill (you'd have to be blind or stupid or both, in which case you're in deep ****, not to notice that he's a step above most forwards in the league), it's his finishing that's a bit off. That and his diving, biting, playacting, language, arguing with referees and overall lack of respect for anything without his team's shirt, but that's not only been argued a million times, it's also got nothing to do with Suarez the player (I just couldn't help having a little customary dig at him, you know...).

I would hate to see Suarez go however if he really wants to leave, for good reasons, then in my opinion "No player is bigger then the club". If he does stay then that would put major pressure on us qualifying for the CL. Even with the schedule we have remaining, I can't see us doing it this year being 9 points off, I can't see Spurs losing that spot tbh.

At least now Rodgers has had a season to evaluate who's good and who's not but he's got a massive job this summer to improve the team as I can't see us having enough money to improve the team enough for a top 4. Our midfield is where it's too weak. Downing has to go, 2 new wingers in (don't get me wrong, Sterling is potentially class but would be foollish to rely on him a whole season) and a destroyer in midfield which we've missed since Mascherano left. Allen is good but in some matches he's looked too lightweight and gets muscled off the ball too much.

If we improved those area's I think we'd definitely see a better team. What you guys think?

Downing has arguably been one of our better players in the last month, deserves to stay IMO

dont think we are far off challenging for top 4 though, need 2 or 3 players

a cover for Lucas is massive, a destroyer as you say is need for cover... a CB is needed, a physical one that can compete with the likes of Benteke and the powerful forwards

A winger could be brought but it wouldnt be top of the list, i still think a creative type of player again could be brought

Dede, De Vrij, A.Williams, Wanyama, Eriksen, Ben Arfa, Gameiro are names ive seen us linked with

Downing has arguably been one of our better players in the last month, deserves to stay IMO

dont think we are far off challenging for top 4 though, need 2 or 3 players

a cover for Lucas is massive, a destroyer as you say is need for cover... a CB is needed, a physical one that can compete with the likes of Benteke and the powerful forwards

A winger could be brought but it wouldnt be top of the list, i still think a creative type of player again could be brought

Dede, De Vrij, A.Williams, Wanyama, Eriksen, Ben Arfa, Gameiro are names ive seen us linked with

Agreed on Downing but surely now would be a good point to cash in on him? I like Wanyama, seems like a good player when I've seen him play for Celtic. Very energetic. Ben Arfa would be a dream, I really like him. Good on one to ones and is very composed in front of goal. Question is if we really need Eriksen and Gameiro? Sure Eriksen is a class player but is AMC really where we should be focusing our money on? For me the destoyer is the most important role we need to recruit. Winger(s) second and CD third.

Agreed on Downing but surely now would be a good point to cash in on him? I like Wanyama, seems like a good player when I've seen him play for Celtic. Very energetic. Ben Arfa would be a dream, I really like him. Good on one to ones and is very composed in front of goal. Question is if we really need Eriksen and Gameiro? Sure Eriksen is a class player but is AMC really where we should be focusing our money on? For me the destoyer is the most important role we need to recruit. Winger(s) second and CD third.

Think Downing is a good squad player, works hard and is now contributing in attacks

Would love to see Dede and Wanyama personally

then if we have enough money maybe work on Ben Arfa with Carroll as part of the deal maybe..

Dede's a bit of a pipe dream, he can have his pick of European clubs at the moment. Everyone is after him.

Dede's a bit of a pipe dream, he can have his pick of European clubs at the moment. Everyone is after him.

agreed, i would be VERY surprised if we even had a slight chance

been described as the next big thing in Brazil and available for as little as 15mil euros because of financial trouble at Vasco... someone will get a bargain

agreed, i would be VERY surprised if we even had a slight chance

been described as the next big thing in Brazil and available for as little as 15mil euros because of financial trouble at Vasco... someone will get a bargain

Portuguese side, I'd wager.

And then he will be benched for 2 years, get frustrated, and get a loan to Liverpool.

See, it will all work out eventually!

But Liverpool manager wont appreciate his talents so he'll send him in January back to Madrid.

And then **** go back to the Portuguese side for free. Have we heard this before?

Think Downing is a good squad player, works hard and is now contributing in attacks

Would love to see Dede and Wanyama personally

then if we have enough money maybe work on Ben Arfa with Carroll as part of the deal maybe..

Nah, Ben Arfa is a very good player but he's just so injury prone it wouldn't be worth it.. Personally think we should just take the money on Carroll..West Ham's option is like £17m isn't it? Newcastle paid like £6m for Ben Arfa.. No chance is he good enough for them to triple their money. Even if West Ham aren't interested (which would only happen if Big Sam is kicked out by the retarded group of fans thinking they should play like Barca even though that gets them relegated), we could turn to Newcastle and see what they are willing to offer.. They would probably offer around the £15m mark too.

I personally think that if we are going to make a player exchange deal with Newcastle it should involve Tiote (unless he's in prison for the start of next season ;))

Nah, Ben Arfa is a very good player but he's just so injury prone it wouldn't be worth it.. Personally think we should just take the money on Carroll..West Ham's option is like £17m isn't it? Newcastle paid like £6m for Ben Arfa.. No chance is he good enough for them to triple their money. Even if West Ham aren't interested (which would only happen if Big Sam is kicked out by the retarded group of fans thinking they should play like Barca even though that gets them relegated), we could turn to Newcastle and see what they are willing to offer.. They would probably offer around the £15m mark too.

I personally think that if we are going to make a player exchange deal with Newcastle it should involve Tiote (unless he's in prison for the start of next season ;))

His injury record is a worry, top player if you can keep fit

West Ham wont take up Carroll deal, they cannot afford to spend 17mil... and most teams would be foolish to do the same, think we would get more value from a player swap deal

unless some club does offer 15mil+

Back