The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I agree with Alonso. No-one in their right mind would move from Madrid, where they're a starter, to Liverpool. Although the appeal for him maybe there due to his previous successes with Liverpool.

Think is out in the open that Alonso wont be signing a new deal, meaning he is likely to be sold this summer

And Alonso would leave Madrid for Liverpool, but it dont mean it will happen

Initially, I (and pretty much everyone else) thought it was a good deal.. Sure, it turned out it wasn't going to be so, maybe a move to Arsenal would have been better for him after all! I'm sure you will all look back and pretend you 'knew' it was a bad deal to begin with, but whatever.

//Edit this is what happens when you don't check the site too often... Not going to bring a 3-page-old argument back to life.

Last edited:
Madrid are already setting up for Alonso's departure with Modric's purchase. And Sahin's too, but that didn't work out. Shame really.

Madrid are already setting up for Alonso's departure with Modric's purchase. And Sahin's too, but that didn't work out. Shame really.

David Villa will definitely not sign a contract with Barca as it stands, and Alonso looking to go the same way. A shrewd manager would pick up the pair for a cut price. If i was Arsene Wenger/Brendan Rodgers I would be straight in for both.

David Villa will definitely not sign a contract with Barca as it stands, and Alonso looking to go the same way. A shrewd manager would pick up the pair for a cut price. If i was Arsene Wenger/Brendan Rodgers I would be straight in for both.

Lambo's setting up for the double swoop on deadline day, just you wait

David Villa and Xabi Alonso at LFC... I'd have a heart attack.

Bit of a sidetrack here on the LFC thread, but I'd love to see Carrick and Alonso playing together, that sort of distribution for Rooney and RVP...

I'd take them both at United.

RVP

Villa Rooney Kagawa

Carrick Alonso
The title would practically be United's from day one, if that was their team next season.

That is one sexily lightweight and easily bullyable midfield right there
Yeah, all you need to destroy that midfield is:

Barton - Gattuso - Cattermole
De Jong - Busquets

It would be hilarious to see those five up against Carrick, Alonso, Villa, Rooney and Kagawa.

But back on topic: why aren't Villa and Alonso's contracts being renewed? Is it due to age or form? Or what?

The title would practically be United's from day one, if that was their team next season.

Yeah, all you need to destroy that midfield is:

Barton - Gattuso - Cattermole
De Jong - Busquets

It would be hilarious to see those five up against Carrick, Alonso, Villa, Rooney and Kagawa.

But back on topic: why aren't Villa and Alonso's contracts being renewed? Is it due to age or form? Or what?

Its the players choice actually.

In Villa's case he is sick of being second fiddle, and they wanted him to stay on for a lot less that he is on now.

No, since Barca have Busquets, who's a mean stroppy *******.

You're selling Alonso a bit short, he may not be Toure, but he's not Iniesta, either. Plus If one strong player magically turns entire midfield into unmovable wall, there's Rooney. I'd say as a whole they would have more physical presence then Barca does.

You're selling Alonso a bit short, he may not be Toure, but he's not Iniesta, either. Plus If one strong player magically turns entire midfield into unmovable wall, there's Rooney.

Not at all. I'm well aware of Alonso's defensive capabilities, but he definitely needs a strongman beside him in midfield. For Spain it's Busquets, for Madrid it's Khedira. His defence is based around interceptions and positional play, much like Pirlo or indeed Carrick.

Rooney, on the other hand, defends not particularly amazingly now. There's a reason Ferguson chose Welbeck ahead of him for the Madrid game.

It's a bit of a shame with Villa, really. I remember him at Euro 2008 and the World Cup: he was a real menace and absolutely clinically. Yet another example of how moving to bigger clubs may not always benefit the player (Kaká, Carroll, Podolski at Bayern, etc.).

tumblr_meo8q77mxH1r2edsxo1_500.gif

Back