The Liverpool Thread

I did say it was an opinion, but has there actually been any mention of Kenny/any other possible manager getting a massive pool of funds for transfers? If he gets the funds, fantastic, if not, I won't be surprised.

I have a feeling that Kenny will probably try to be frugal when he gets the job, and will probably end up raiding the SPL. Just an opinion, mind you, but I'm fairly sure that he could probably sign a fair few players on the cheap side.

I doubt it. Comolli will do the majority of the scouting, so it is more likely a number of Ligue 1 players will join us (Marveaux, Hazard etc..). Kenny will obviously have his own targets (Adam, Iziguirre etc..). I'm thinking those two, along with our other scouts could pick us up some world class players and a bargain or two. :)

I did say it was an opinion, but has there actually been any mention of Kenny/any other possible manager getting a massive pool of funds for transfers? If he gets the funds, fantastic, if not, I won't be surprised.

Fair enough. However the owners have said that the money is there to improve the squad, and to be honest aside from Izaguirre, I can't see who in the SPL could really improve the squad to the extent that we need to improved to. As Ben said, I imagine the majority of our summer spending will take place in Ligue 1 - Marveaux/Hazard/Gervinho/Remy/M'Vila.

NESV have said they'll give the manager any required funds for personnel (should he fit their requirements). Obviously within reason though, they cannot simply spend 100mil. We have to clear out the dead wood before we plan to sign players though, this should raise some funds.

I think he should to be honest; Kenny will play a 4-4-2 next season and having Gerrard in CM would be a bad idea. He would be more suited on the right, in 05-06 (I think) he had one of his best seasons in a Liverpool shirt when he played right midfield. He doesn't have the discipline to play in a 4-4-2 anymore I feel.

Following his season on the right he said he hated it and only wanted to play centrally.

Fair enough. However the owners have said that the money is there to improve the squad, and to be honest aside from Izaguirre, I can't see who in the SPL could really improve the squad to the extent that we need to improved to. As Ben said, I imagine the majority of our summer spending will take place in Ligue 1 - Marveaux/Hazard/Gervinho/Remy/M'Vila.

I'm not sold on Marveux. I just don't feel he could cut it in the EPL.

How? He has his best goalscoring season on the right. He'd be disciplined looking for passes and crosses towards Carroll and Suarez. He'd also help develop Martin Kelly at right-back. Gerrard is not as energetic as he used to be, using him as a static wide man or a deep-lying playmaker is our best option in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree, hopefully we will sign a young centre-half, or use Kelly there and buy a right-back.

His best season in recent years came from playing off the Striker.

Following his season on the right he said he hated it and only wanted to play centrally.

That was when he was at his peak and was far and away our best player though. He'd obviously be deployed in the centre aswell. But I reckon with Lucas and Meireles having the Portuguese speaking partnership going and Kenny looking highly likely to play a 4-4-2, the right seems our best option.

Yes, we're not playing a 4-2-3-1 anymore though are we?

We don't have much to lose with him coming on a free, he has to be better than Jovanovic.

That was when he was at his peak and was far and away our best player though. He'd obviously be deployed in the centre aswell. But I reckon with Lucas and Meireles having the Portuguese speaking partnership going and Kenny looking highly likely to play a 4-4-2, the right seems our best option.

Yes, we're not playing a 4-2-3-1 anymore though are we?

We aren't exactly looking like a solid 4-4-2.

Suarez could just as well be used on the left next season.

And still, I wouldn't play Gerrard anywhere but the middle, he can be used like Giggs has at United - he still has years in him. If he is unhappy on the right, why would we play him there?

But if it helps the team then he should do what helps us most.

As a back up, he would be a good, good addition.

However we don't have a position like that in our current formation anymore.

I promise you, based on Kennys last spell and his signings this season, a 4-4-2 is what he is working towards for next season.

And still, I wouldn't play Gerrard anywhere but the middle, he can be used like Giggs has at United - he still has years in him. If he is unhappy on the right, why would we play him there?

He could, I'd rather see a natural left winger there though.

Because he is still an integral part of the team, and lashing him in the centre with Meireles will leave us massively exposed and unbalanced.

To be honest, I think both Hazard and Sanchez would cost around £30m each anyway; I'd say it's just down to presonal preference.

Could potentially get Adam as a back up to Meireles, however with the prospect of Aquilani coming back then I can't see it happening unless Aquilani leaves, which is looking more and more unlikely.

Oh apologies, it was my understanding that Taiwo had signed an agreement, having jsut researched yes you're right he would prefer a move to Milan but he isn't writing off signing with Benfica, which would in turn pave the way for us to make a bid for Coentrao.

Ageed with Lucas, has pretty much made that position his own, just needs to cut down on the silly fouls sometimes.
I agree Lucas is a great player, however I think we should sell Aquilani and buy Adam for backup, Adam is great!

Juve and Roma look to Aquilani (SSN.com)

It has been suggested that Roma will attempt to re-sign Aquilani in the summer, but Zavaglia thinks this is unlikely.

He said: "I don't think it is possible, but in football anything is possible."
(In bold) What the ****...? That doesn't make sense...

I haven't seen Marveaux myself but for a free he sounds good. I think we should get Adam, Coentrao, Gervinho and N'Koulou. They are all (sort of) young and good. Adam would be for backup/rotation. N'Koulou to replace Carra.

Last edited:
does anyone rate Insua as he is back at the end of the season, i think he is good tbh

Considering he came over from Argentina as a teenager and was basically thrown straight into the first team, he did well for us. He was under massive pressure, can't have been easy for the lad, got far too much criticism. Would like him to stay (can't see it), get rid of Konchesky and Aurelio :)wub:) and buy someone like Kadlec, Coentrao, Izaguirre...

First off, Carroll may be overpriced at £35m, but we have to think of it as if it was a swap deal. Torres and Babel for Carroll and Suarez. I know which two I'd rather have on current form! Suarez has already shown his class, and Carroll is still not 100% fit. When he is, I have faith that he will be scoring plenty :)

Signings. In an ideal world, I'd like for us to sign a good CB (eg. Shawcross), a class LB (Baines/Coentrao), and a great winger (Hazard/Sanchez). I think we are fine for centre mids, based on Meireles, Lucas and Gerrard's form, with Shelvey and Spearing both looking good too. We may even still have Aquilani!!!

Considering he came over from Argentina as a teenager and was basically thrown straight into the first team, he did well for us. He was under massive pressure, can't have been easy for the lad, got far too much criticism. Would like him to stay (can't see it), get rid of Konchesky and Aurelio :)wub:) and buy someone like Kadlec, Coentrao, Izaguirre...

Insua has been great for us, if you look at his age. Aurelio, is a decent backup, but a new Left Back should be our highest priority. Agree with Ben here, Kadlec, or Coentrao would be a decent addition.

3-0 down at Istanbul:

YouTube - Liverpool Fans Singing YNWA at half time in Istanbul

Anfield vs Chelsea:

YouTube - Never Ending YNWA

Locked in at OT (The Torres song but still..):

YouTube - Liverpool fans locked in at Old Trafford

At OT:

YouTube - Fields of Anfield road

Liverpool vs Monchengladback, joint YNWA (been a massive mutual respect between the clubs since the 1977 EC final):

YouTube - YNWA - Borussia vs. Liverpool

Liverpool vs Celtic, joint YNWA:

YouTube - You'll Never Walk Alone! Live! Celtic vs. Liverpool

Last edited: