The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Better for him to get game time. I don't think he'll be good enough to make a mark on our first team though :(

yehh he needs playing time but if he is going to be a future player i would of preferred him going on loan to a prem team to see if he is good enough. By going to Norwich though he has more of a chance in playing so its win - win i guess

All the best Pacheco. Hope to god he comes back. :wub:

Well, that's a chance for Pacheco to get regular football then. I'd love for us to sign Coentrao and perhaps get Taiwo on a free to resolve LB.

Dalglish joins race for Bolton defender Cahill

Liverpool have joined the likes of Arsenal and Bayern Munich in the hunt to sign Bolton defender Gary Cahill at the end of the season.

With the backing of the owners, Fenway Sports Group, manager Kenny Dalglish has drawn up a list of potential summer signings with Ashley Young, Charlie Adam, Matt Jarvis and now Cahill all linked with a move to Anfield.
Reports in The Times suggest that Dalglish feels as though he needs another central defender with Sotiris Kygriakos likely to leave in the summer, while Kop hero Jamie Carragher is also coming towards the end of a long and successful career.
Cahill is a man in demand and will have a host of clubs chasing his signature should he decide to leave the Reebok after three successful years in which his reputation has been greatly enhanced.
The 25-year-old has become a regular member of Fabio Capello's England squad and has been high on Arsenal'*****-list for some time with Wenger a known admirer of the talented defender.
Liverpool may have to bid as much as £18million to bring the central defender to Merseyside with Bolton knowing that there could be a bidding war between a host of Premier League clubs.
However, Liverpool appear to be looking towards the future after they yesterday announced a new role for Damien Comolli. The Frenchman has been handed the job of director of football and revealed that he is already looking at potential targets.
"We are thinking about the summer and what we are going to do. We talk about different targets, about players we thought about in January but couldn't do and keep the scouting team working," Comolli told the Press Association.
Dalglish was backed in January when he was able to bring Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez to the club in a combined deal that cost more than £55m and it appears as though he will be allowed to spend again in the summer.
Source: Sports Vibe

Imo Cahill would be a decent signing. But idk if £18 mill is too much.

With the backing of the owners, Fenway Sports Group, manager Kenny Dalglish has drawn up a list of potential summer signings with Ashley Young, Charlie Adam, Matt Jarvis and now Cahill all linked with a move to Anfield.

All of these players would be amazing but i just dont want the club to be paying loads for them. Like you said 18mil is too much for Cahill but with all the big clubs after him we might need to pay it. He is a quality player and could be a long term replacement for Carra.

All of these players would be amazing but i just dont want the club to be paying loads for them. Like you said 18mil is too much for Cahill but with all the big clubs after him we might need to pay it. He is a quality player and could be a long term replacement for Carra.

That's true, but £18 mill is too much imo. We still need a good winger, and a good left back. And whatever money there is left we could use to try to buy Cahill, as we are gonna need a good replacement for Carra, he isn't gonna get any younger.

That's true, but £18 mill is too much imo. We still need a good winger, and a good left back. And whatever money there is left we could use to try to buy Cahill, as we are gonna need a good replacement for Carra, he isn't gonna get any younger.

I think a winger should be top priority, escpecially now we have Carroll. I would love to see Asley Yound in the Liverpool shirt but i think he is destined for the Mancs. Jarvis looks like he could be a useful player and he is a natural winger.
Also totally agree with the left back shout, possibly Fabio Coentrao from Befica? As long as its not another Paul Knochesky!

I think a winger should be top priority, escpecially now we have Carroll. I would love to see Asley Yound in the Liverpool shirt but i think he is destined for the Mancs. Jarvis looks like he could be a useful player and he is a natural winger.
Also totally agree with the left back shout, possibly Fabio Coentrao from Befica? As long as its not another Paul Knochesky!

What about the rumours abut Afellay? Link Here ---> http://lfc.tv/news/media-watch/barca-ready-to-cash-in-on-afellay

Ashley Young would be a quality signing, and we could maybe, go until January, if Insua comes back, or Aurelio could stay clear of injuries, as he is a decent player. But the Liverpool Chairman has promised Kenny funds to strengthen the squad this summer.

What about the rumours abut Afellay? Link Here ---> http://lfc.tv/news/media-watch/barca-ready-to-cash-in-on-afellay

Ashley Young would be a quality signing, and we could maybe, go until January, if Insua comes back, or Aurelio could stay clear of injuries, as he is a decent player. But the Liverpool Chairman has promised Kenny funds to strengthen the squad this summer.

I think Affelay might be a bit too light weight for the Prem but i could be wrong.
I honestly dont rate Insua, i think he was poor when rafa was manager and unless there has been some miraculous change i dont think he is good enough. There has been talk of us going for Jose Enrique from Newcastle, he looks decent.
I really want to see Charlie Adam. I think he could really fill some of the gap left by Alonso.

Idk about Afellay, never seen him play.
Insua has been pretty decent, if you think about his age. He was thrown into the first team, right when he joined Liverpool. So he's done allright. Maybe when he returns from Galatasaray, he might have improved.
Jose Enrique is a decent player, but personally i'd rather see Coentrao, i just don't see that happening.
Charlie Adam has a good season, but idk if he's quality enough for Liverpool.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 09:22 PM ----------

Fenway Sports Group will bring glory days back

Ian Ayre believes owners Fenway Sports Group will help bring the glory days back to Anfield.

Liverpool haven't won a trophy for five years but the club's new managing director insists a structure is being put in place to ensure that drought is addressed.
"I took great comfort when John Henry did his first interview on that famous day when we came down the steps at Slaughter and May," Ayre said. "The most poignant line that everyone hung on to was 'we want to win'.
"We all want to win. It's not going to happen overnight and I don't think it should.
"What both John and Tom (Werner) have said is that we don't want to build a team to win it once, we want to build a team to keep winning it.
"When I started going to matches we kept on winning it. We want to build a team who can do that again.
"It's going to take a lot of hard work but if everyone comes together I'm convinced Liverpool can get back to where they were.
"Everyone has to believe that. The minute people stop believing we'll be in trouble."
Ayre admits it's a very different club to the one he walked into after his appointment as commercial director in 2007. During the divisive reign of Tom Hicks and George Gillett, Liverpool was dogged by mistrust and infighting
Over the last four years at the club the one thing that was missing for a lot of that time was unity," he said.
"The big challenge is to ensure everyone is rowing in the same direction.
"The football club kind of operates in this virtuous circle where you create revenue, you invest that into the team, the team performs better, wins trophies and that makes you more successful commercially.
"We've slipped in some areas of that circle. The challenge is to get all of those working and keep them all working together.
That falls squarely on my shoulders now and I'm happy to take that on. I think we have a great future with these owners."
Having been appointed by Hicks and Gillett, Ayre admits it would have been easy for the new owners to show him the door after the takeover.
He said: "They could have had a clean sweep and installed their own team.
"I'm sure that's something they would have considered.
"What I find encouraging about the owners is that they don't judge very quickly.
"They take their time to analyse and assess what's best for their investment and best for this football club."
In his new role Ayre will remain heavily involved in the commercial side of the business which has flourished under his guidance.
"I won't be casting aside my role in business development in the commercial area.
"We'll probably add some additional resource there but we all agreed me retaining responsibility in that area is very important, but at same time pulling together all the other parts - football, finance, legal - to ensure we are all doing what's best for this club."
Source: Liverpool Echo

Lets Hope so. They've got the right attitude. Maybe Liverpool will be a top team once again?

I've been having a think about signings and tactics we could use, and I've come to the conclusion that we really only need 2 players; Fabio Coentrao and Ashley Young:

85813_Liverpool.jpg

With Young swinging in the crosses from the right, and Suarez cutting inside with Coentrao there for the winger position if needs be to swing in crosses, with Daniel Agger being able to cover left back whilst Coentrao is attacking, I think this could work quite well.

Thoughts?

I'd hate to see Kuyt not start, he's an extremely important player for us.

its all very well saying who you will sign but you need to remeber that you need to be playing european football, and you have serious competition for those players, form teams in better shape

Form table since kenny took over.

1. Liverpool – LDWWWWDLWW – 20 points – 10 games
2. Chelsea – WWWLDWWW – 19 points – 8 games
3. Man Utd – DWWWLWWLLW – 19 points - 10 games
4. Arsenal – WWWDWWDD – 18 points – 8 games
5. Everton – DDLWLWWDW – 14 points – 9 games
6. Tottenham – DDWWWLDD – 13 points – 8 games
7. Fulham – DWLWDDDWL – 13 points – 9 games
8. West Ham – LDWLDWWD – 12 points – 8 games
9. Aston Villa – DWWLDDWLL – 12 points – 9 games
10. Man City – WLDWLDWL – 11 points - 8 games
11. West Brom – WLDLDDDWD – 11 points – 9 games
12. Wolves – LLLWLDWDW – 11 points – 9 games
13. Bolton – LLWLWDWL – 10 points – 8 games
14. Stoke – WLLWLLDLW – 10 points – 9 games
15. Wigan – DLLDWDLLW – 9 points – 9 games
16. Birmingham – DLDWWLLDL – 9 points – 9 games
17. Newcastle – DDLDDWDLL – 8 points – 9 games
18. Blackpool – WLLLLLDWLLD – 8 points – 11 games
19. Blackburn – LWLLDLLD – 5 points – 8 games
20. Sunderland – DWLLLLDL – 5 points – 8 games

Hopefully he gets the job and gives us a chance to challenge atleast for top 4 again, but it is going to tough with man city, and spurs improving.

A reality check guys: can anyone see FSG giving KK more than £50mil to splurge on new talent in the summer ? At today's vastly inflated prices that works out at TWO top-notch players, and we need at least FIVE to make us credible title contenders again. Can't see us doing it with five good to average £10mil players. I'm generalising regarding the amounts but you know what I'm saying -

We need: A credible Left Back, possibly an injury-free Centre Back, a dedicated Holding Midfielder, a Creative Playmaker, 2 x Speed Merchants on the wings to feed Carroll.

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
I'd hate to see Kuyt not start, he's an extremely important player for us.

I agree, I love Kuyt, such a hard-working player for us, but I can't see how he would fit in if we signed those 2 players. Can you suggest a formation?

A reality check guys: can anyone see FSG giving KK more than £50mil to splurge on new talent in the summer ? At today's vastly inflated prices that works out at TWO top-notch players, and we need at least FIVE to make us credible title contenders again. Can't see us doing it with five good to average £10mil players. I'm generalising regarding the amounts but you know what I'm saying - any thoughts ?
Rome wasnt built in a day!

Back