The Liverpool Thread

Mo will not only be our greatest ever player, but the PL’s when it’s all said and done.

I’m convinced of that d.

Already a PL great as you noted. His output is beyond phenomenal.

I know we’re not supposed to talk about the man who’s still their #1 target, but Mbappe would have to be beyond phenomenal to be even half as effective as Mo if he winds up here. Seriously.
I saw this question asked elsewhere and as a reflex many immediately said Stevie and I understand why he was the only shining light in times when we absolutely pish. Then I went through all the records Mo has with us and it's absolutely amazing how consistent he has been from the get-go. To the point, we completely forget. I went into this thinking no chance but **** Mo being discussed against Gerrard and co shows how great he actually is.

EXCL: Liverpool & Jordan Henderson reach agreement in principle over new contract. Improved 3yr deal + option of 4th based on appearances. Not signed yet. Klopp key to turnaround. 31yo shone for #LFC in friendly vs #AVFC at Anfield on Sun @TheAthleticUK

I was going to wait until after the Chelsea game next week to see how that played out before I wrote on this sensitive but hugely important subject. But the manager has pre-emptied that with the hard-hitting interview with one of our fans on the homophobia against Billy Gilmour that reared its ugly head again last weekend. And as most clubs use the same chant, it's relevant to ALL football fans.

Let me preface this by saying I hate Chelsea with a passion. And I'll readily hold my hand up and say I've used that slur on them for decades. I’m a simple, heterosexual white male who was ignorant to the inherent wrong in this for long enough. To my absolute shame. But I've done a lot of self-reflecting over the last few years and the simple fact that it's offensive to the gay community means it must stop and be TOTALLY removed from our songbook. There is absolutely NO excuse in this day and age for anyone to throw that out.

I was utterly disappointed, and no less disgusted, by the multitude of Reds over the weekend trying to vainly defend this as somehow being just 'banter, 'only a laugh' and 'non-offensive.' All with the ridiculously lame 'whataboutery' thrown in for good measure ...... 'But what about when they chant about unemployment/ always the victims/ call us bin dippers et al?'

We as Liverpool fans like to think we have a moral compass that holds us above any other fanbase in how to support a team and treat people in general ..... But we are quick to come up with pathetic excuses to try justify and condone what we do that's completely unacceptable today.

'The Chelsea Rent Boy' chant is a homophobic chant that has NO place in today's game. END OF!

The people that matter tell you that. Organisations like 'Kick It Out' who work with marginalised groups clearly say it's offensive and homophobic. 'Kop Outs', our clubs own LGBT+ wing, clearly say it's offensive and homophobic. Yet people want to tell the gay community that it isn't and what they can and can't be offended by? Do people realise how arrogantly offensive and patronising that is in itself? 🤦‍♂️

It's a chant that's used as a slur against gay people.

The chant originates from the 1980s when a Chelsea Headhunter, one of their hooligans, was 'allegedly' found to be having homosexual *** with a male *** worker. Which hit the tabloid headlines at the time. And it was and has been ever since intended as an insult to suggest any fan/ player/ manager et al connected to Chelsea are all gay. THAT'S why it's homophobic and offensive. It's intended as a disparaging term, seen as seedy/ lurid, which tags all gay people that hear it. You can't escape the connotations of the chant. Nor the voices of those telling you how offended they are by the chant. You have to listen to what's offending/ hurting them and act appropriately with how times have moved on and what's now acceptable and what isn't or else what's the point of an evolved society?

For me, anyway, we as a society should be looking to move away from what was once acceptable behaviour to mock marginalised groups and stand up to ALL forms of hate. Be they homophobia/ racism/ sexism/ religious bigotry ..... basically, ANYTHING that slurs marginalised/ oppressed groups of people. And we should be listening to those groups voices to validate their thoughts and be open and welcoming to all. We can't support the players and their actions in standing up, or in their case, kneeling down, for equality for all at the start of a game and then turn around and throw homophobic rhetoric out in the name of 'banter' during it!

It's really a sad, SAD state of affairs that the club felt the need to put out a statement yet again condemning this after Norwich last weekend. And even sadder that many L'pool fans took to the defensive over it.

One can only hope that the latest attention has now raised awareness. Hopefully, people now taking the time to step back and educate themselves and listen to those this is hurting, and we can begin to eradicate it from our songbook so we aren't having a similar discussion in another week or so's time after we've played Chelsea.

It's a homophobic slur and it has NO place in either the all-inclusive game we want football to be. Nor the standard of fanbase we pertain to be.

Last edited:
Just seen that Fabs father has passed away may he rest in peace. Explains the reason he wasn't in training this week. I know Klopp and the boys will be there for him just like Ali.

Kudos to you Scouse for admitting the errors of your way in the past. Thats what make us become better people in the long run and I wish more people had that mindset to help society. I'm sure you saw the Milwall boss comments the other day, talk about tone deaf.

Kudos to you Scouse for admitting the errors of your way in the past. Thats what make us become better people in the long run and I wish more people had that mindset to help society. I'm sure you saw the Milwall boss comments the other day, talk about tone deaf.

Thank you mate. I appreciate that. Without getting too deep, I think if you ever want to make change as a collective, we first have to make choices as an individual. To ask the 'why?' question when we don't understand and to listen to those being marginalised and educate ourselves as to the reasons why and what they are telling us.

People can be ignorant in a group. Especially young lads trying to fit in. And hopefully they will now educate themselves and become more self- aware and cease doing it given the attention again drawn to this after last weekend. And the more that stop joining in, and stand up to others that do and question them, the more we can eradicate it from our songbook.

But being wilfully ignorant when attention is drawn to how unacceptable this now is and refusing to accept they are wrong ..... They are a WHOLE other matter and I really don't know what you do with them.

Which brings us to the F wit in charge of Millwall. .....

There will NEVER be a suitable way to protest against racism and all forms of intolerance/ discrimination, that is acceptable to racists. Which your Evil football club is infested with from top to bottom.

So Gary, in other words, I'm politely trying to tell you, on behalf of every decent person who isn't of the ilk of the sewer dwelling scum from Bermondsey, **** OFF!!!!!

Don't know if ya going tomorrow but I hope ya make it loud and enjoy it. Football without fans is honestly nothing. Have a good one if you are going though.

Rhetorical? 😉

This week has been like the week leading upto Chrimbo when you were a kid. Unadulterated excitement thats just built ever since last weekend and the awesome return, finally, of proper football. Palace was great and all and I felt exceptionally privileged to be pulled out for that. But that was 10k and the aperitif to the main course …… 51 K or so Liverpudlians getting to finally welcome the Champions we never ….. getting to finally rekindle our special bond with our team and let them know that all the outside B/S on SM et al is just that and the match going lads have both deeply missed and have unwavering, 100% belief in them …….

Is it half 12 already?

3-0.

UTR!!!!!

How long has it been from your last game at stadium?

I was fortunate enough toget to go to Palace the last game of last season. But that was just 10k. As boss as it was.

The FULL Anfield experience …… 18 months ago. Bournemouth March something 2020.

Jesus. 2020!!!!! …… It’s been TOO long to finally be able to say, en masse, ‘It’s off to the match we go!’

That right hand side of Elliot and trent interchanging was causing havoc all game.

I was going to wait until after the Chelsea game next week to see how that played out before I wrote on this sensitive but hugely important subject. But the manager has pre-emptied that with the hard-hitting interview with one of our fans on the homophobia against Billy Gilmour that reared its ugly head again last weekend. And as most clubs use the same chant, it's relevant to ALL football fans.

Let me preface this by saying I hate Chelsea with a passion. And I'll readily hold my hand up and say I've used that slur on them for decades. I’m a simple, heterosexual white male who was ignorant to the inherent wrong in this for long enough. To my absolute shame. But I've done a lot of self-reflecting over the last few years and the simple fact that it's offensive to the gay community means it must stop and be TOTALLY removed from our songbook. There is absolutely NO excuse in this day and age for anyone to throw that out.

I was utterly disappointed, and no less disgusted, by the multitude of Reds over the weekend trying to vainly defend this as somehow being just 'banter, 'only a laugh' and 'non-offensive.' All with the ridiculously lame 'whataboutery' thrown in for good measure ...... 'But what about when they chant about unemployment/ always the victims/ call us bin dippers et al?'

We as Liverpool fans like to think we have a moral compass that holds us above any other fanbase in how to support a team and treat people in general ..... But we are quick to come up with pathetic excuses to try justify and condone what we do that's completely unacceptable today.

'The Chelsea Rent Boy' chant is a homophobic chant that has NO place in today's game. END OF!

The people that matter tell you that. Organisations like 'Kick It Out' who work with marginalised groups clearly say it's offensive and homophobic. 'Kop Outs', our clubs own LGBT+ wing, clearly say it's offensive and homophobic. Yet people want to tell the gay community that it isn't and what they can and can't be offended by? Do people realise how arrogantly offensive and patronising that is in itself? 🤦‍♂️

It's a chant that's used as a slur against gay people.

The chant originates from the 1980s when a Chelsea Headhunter, one of their hooligans, was 'allegedly' found to be having homosexual *** with a male *** worker. Which hit the tabloid headlines at the time. And it was and has been ever since intended as an insult to suggest any fan/ player/ manager et al connected to Chelsea are all gay. THAT'S why it's homophobic and offensive. It's intended as a disparaging term, seen as seedy/ lurid, which tags all gay people that hear it. You can't escape the connotations of the chant. Nor the voices of those telling you how offended they are by the chant. You have to listen to what's offending/ hurting them and act appropriately with how times have moved on and what's now acceptable and what isn't or else what's the point of an evolved society?

For me, anyway, we as a society should be looking to move away from what was once acceptable behaviour to mock marginalised groups and stand up to ALL forms of hate. Be they homophobia/ racism/ sexism/ religious bigotry ..... basically, ANYTHING that slurs marginalised/ oppressed groups of people. And we should be listening to those groups voices to validate their thoughts and be open and welcoming to all. We can't support the players and their actions in standing up, or in their case, kneeling down, for equality for all at the start of a game and then turn around and throw homophobic rhetoric out in the name of 'banter' during it!

It's really a sad, SAD state of affairs that the club felt the need to put out a statement yet again condemning this after Norwich last weekend. And even sadder that many L'pool fans took to the defensive over it.

One can only hope that the latest attention has now raised awareness. Hopefully, people now taking the time to step back and educate themselves and listen to those this is hurting, and we can begin to eradicate it from our songbook so we aren't having a similar discussion in another week or so's time after we've played Chelsea.

It's a homophobic slur and it has NO place in either the all-inclusive game we want football to be. Nor the standard of fanbase we pertain to be.
I was going to call you out after that Norwich tweet you reposted here but looks like it has been removed. Good for you.
Thank you mate. I appreciate that. Without getting too deep, I think if you ever want to make change as a collective, we first have to make choices as an individual. To ask the 'why?' question when we don't understand and to listen to those being marginalised and educate ourselves as to the reasons why and what they are telling us.

People can be ignorant in a group. Especially young lads trying to fit in. And hopefully they will now educate themselves and become more self- aware and cease doing it given the attention again drawn to this after last weekend. And the more that stop joining in, and stand up to others that do and question them, the more we can eradicate it from our songbook.

But being wilfully ignorant when attention is drawn to how unacceptable this now is and refusing to accept they are wrong ..... They are a WHOLE other matter and I really don't know what you do with them.

Which brings us to the F wit in charge of Millwall. .....

There will NEVER be a suitable way to protest against racism and all forms of intolerance/ discrimination, that is acceptable to racists. Which your Evil football club is infested with from top to bottom.

So Gary, in other words, I'm politely trying to tell you, on behalf of every decent person who isn't of the ilk of the sewer dwelling scum from Bermondsey, **** OFF!!!!!
What did you post about Norwich a week ago?

I was going to call you out after that Norwich tweet you reposted here but looks like it has been removed. Good for you.

What did you post about Norwich a week ago?

What Norwich tweet?

What are you referring to mate? Anything I posted on Norwich is in this thread.