The Magic Rectangle l 4-2-2-2 l Brazil's Samba Football :::by ARTISAN::: 14.3

• Thread starter Thread starter Artisan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 860
  • Views Views 429K
iv'e played a few top teams in friendly games and dominated them and what I have notice is iv'e played against a 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-2-1, 4-4-2 and with this tactic being a narrow tactic you would expect the opposition to exploit the flanks but for some reason this tactic seems to do much better against these styles of tactics.

Artisan I think you have developed a tactic to go against all styles of tactics and it's probably more consistence tactic around and could use this for many season without chopping or changing every season :)

Nezza; can you add your set piece and upload with this tactic?

iv'e played a few top teams in friendly games and dominated them and what I have notice is iv'e played against a 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-2-1, 4-4-2 and with this tactic being a narrow tactic you would expect the opposition to exploit the flanks but for some reason this tactic seems to do much better against these styles of tactics.

Yh, I know. It took me a long time to prevent AI tactics from exploiting my flank. Also because of all the AMCs the opposition is focussed on defending rather than attacking you.

Artisan I think you have developed a tactic to go against all styles of tactics and it's probably more consistence tactic around and could use this for many season without chopping or changing every season :)

Thanks. Started working on my next tactic and hopefully when I'm done will be good as this.

Strikers dont really score much. Any way to change that?

ive played 16 league games and both my strikers have 11 league goals and my amc's have 8 goals 11 assists and the other has 6 goals 14 assists! and my 3rd striker has have 2(8) games and 6 goals.

try attacking movement on training!? thats what i have and defensive on general training. im undefeated all competitions so far.

ive played 16 league games and both my strikers have 11 league goals and my amc's have 8 goals 11 assists and the other has 6 goals 14 assists! and my 3rd striker has have 2(8) games and 6 goals.

try attacking movement on training!? thats what i have and defensive on general training. im undefeated all competitions so far.

Which version are you using? In 5 games so far with Liverpool, first season, i have 1 win and 4 draws. Decent start but i think i need to give it more time to gel.

I've used and tweak various people's Brazilian tactics last few years. I think last year there was an asymetric one that I loved. No idea if you made those.

I should also comment that being into Brazil tactics there is a good article explaining why in 1982 this formation in theory:
View attachment 403750

Actually became this one in practice:
View attachment 403749

I'm going to eventually try to work on a tweak into this 1982version that is a 433/4231 formation with same basic principles. In 1982, Falcao scored 3 goals and had a lot of shots so he wasn't really a DM even if he started deep but played more of a box to box role. Not sure if that would make the it a better tactic but thats how Falcao (the 1982 one) played.

Here is the source article:
Jogo Bonito ? la 1982

Last edited:
I gave this a rough go with Spurs, didn't have a great time, really. But to be honest, I didn't try it out for very long(10 games) and team cohesion was probably in the gutter since Spurs signed a bazillion players and I kinda added to that. I'll give it another try, since it seems to be getting a lot of good reviews. A few people have got great results with attacking movement in match prep, should I go with that instead of defensive set pieces? And do the poachers need to have a good heading ability? Because it was my tallest striker that scored the most goals, the others seemed to be a bit *****. I also noticed you had Lambert and Denis on the Southampton test, and both of them have a good heading ability, so that's why I asked.

P.S Schneiderlin is a MONSTER at DM.

I've used and tweak various people's Brazilian tactics last few years. I think last year there was an asymetric one that I loved. No idea if you made those.

I should also comment that being into Brazil tactics there is a good article explaining why in 1982 this formation in theory:
View attachment 536010

View attachment 536013

I'm going to eventually try to work on a tweak into this 1982version that is a 433/4231 formation with same basic principles. In 1982, Falcao scored 3 goals and had a lot of shots so he wasn't really a DM even if he started deep but played more of a box to box role. Not sure if that would make the it a better tactic but thats how Falcao (the 1982 one) played.

Jogo Bonito ? la 1982

Thanks for that m8, I will give it a read. And if you can tweak the tactic to wwork like that, that will be great :D

Have you started on your new tactic yet mate, It will take a lot to beat this one

View attachment 536010

View attachment 536013

Jogo Bonito ? la 1982

Mate, this formation is exactly what you are talking about. Dm on support duty acting like box2box(similar to sacchi milan 4-4-2). During the match 4-2-2-2 formation turn to many different positions....sometimes 4-2-3-1, sometimes 4-3-3 and sometimes original 4-2-2-2. Check it out average positions and you will see, how flexible this tactic is.

No need for tweaking, it is already perfect ;)

I gave this a rough go with Spurs, didn't have a great time, really. But to be honest, I didn't try it out for very long(10 games) and team cohesion was probably in the gutter since Spurs signed a bazillion players and I kinda added to that. I'll give it another try, since it seems to be getting a lot of good reviews. A few people have got great results with attacking movement in match prep, should I go with that instead of defensive set pieces? And do the poachers need to have a good heading ability? Because it was my tallest striker that scored the most goals, the others seemed to be a bit *****. I also noticed you had Lambert and Denis on the Southampton test, and both of them have a good heading ability, so that's why I asked.

P.S Schneiderlin is a MONSTER at DM.

Hi there, thanks for testing and feedback :). As with any tactic there have been good and lukewarm reviews but mainly good ones. I think the main difference comes from different match training. People seem to have the bes result with "Attacking Movement" training.

Also, your poachers having good heading ability is a plus as they will score from crosses sent in by the wingback. I think however though, the Passing, Finishing, Off the Ball and Composure stats are more important. My strikers would have scored a lot more but kept missing easy chances

And yes when I used Schneiderlin he was a tank :) but I sold him for the money (?17m) could not say no.

Have you started on your new tactic yet mate, It will take a lot to beat this one

Haha, yes I know. I might have set the bar too high with this one. Yes I am working on my new tactic now. Seems the vote was overwhelmingly High pressing Dortmund. It will take a while to complete but I will only only release it if I am 100% happy. If I cant get it right, then I will work on the next highest vote etc.

Finally scored my first goal with Southampton with the tweaked tactic, took me 5 games. I still lost though :(.

I would change to attacking movement if the tactic isn't doing well only use teamwork if you are with the big boys like Man U/City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, Dortmund ext,ext

P.S Liverpool and Spurs are not classed as the big boys so I would recommend using attacking movement.

Back