The Manchester United Thread

Maybe Giggs will be part of managing the Reserves? That way, it also provides the club a measure to test Giggs too.. I don't really see van Gaal appointing Giggs as his AM, considering that Giggs will most likely replace van Gaal eventually..?

Apparently van Gaal wants Hummels, Kroos and Reus. Oh, and Strootman. I'd be ecstatic if Hummels can be convinced to move to us.. Absolutely brilliant move! As for midfielders, Strootman can probably happen more than Kroos, but both have connections to van Gaal, so it remains to be seen.

Apparently van Gaal wants Hummels, Kroos and Reus. Oh, and Strootman. I'd be ecstatic if Hummels can be convinced to move to us.. Absolutely brilliant move! As for midfielders, Strootman can probably happen more than Kroos, but both have connections to van Gaal, so it remains to be seen.
Who doesn't "want" those players, thing is who he actually gets?

Thing is, van Gaal has a connection to most of those players. Hummels, although he did sell him him to Dortmund, van Gaal always publicly maintained it was a mistake. Kroos was introduced to the first team by van Gaal. Strootman has connections to van Gaal from the Dutch National Team. It's not just Woody jumping at every name that pops up..

As for who he actually gets, if he gets selected as our Head Coach, it'll be known only after August.

I'm actually quite positive about LVG signing for Man Utd. Tensions with Rooney due to LVG's relationship through the Holland national squad with RVP - playing him up front with either Rooney behind or on the wing certainly isn't out of the question. Nor is a purge of the back-room staff and veteran players who so consistently stabbed Moyes in the back last season with very public shows of disrespect. The Giggs situation, and LVG's likely unwillingness to have Ferguson's shadow installed in the form of Giggs as Assistant Manager should send him on his travels, either demoted or leaving the club (again, problems with authority from LVG and his somewhat absolutist nature when running a club).

Presumably if Giggs is installed, and the amount of articles praising the professionalism and how he 'invoked Ferguson' in his pre-match chat with the players before last game, shall make the team happy with his short term appointment in the expectation he's Guardiola's next coming. It'd be a cheaper option than LVG, and involve less risk with the star player Rooney becoming sulky, plus lets Utd see who is available down the line instead of installing seemingly the only available manager with sufficient gravitas.

Lastly, everyone can write an article linking to Hummels, Kroos and Reus - they are probably top ten in their respective positions in the world. I don't see whether they'd move at the moment mind you, the club is clearly in transition, no manager at the moment, and there is no guarantee of CL football next season even with those signings if you consider the current tribulations of Chelsea, City, Arsenal & Liverpool and the likely strengthening - and perhaps more importantly, they have a strong role at their curent clubs, which are currently in the CL. Persuading those players to take at least 1-2 seasons to climb back into the CL either takes a lot of money, or a massive managerial figure to persuade them it isn't much of a risk. Considering Utd arn't at the top table for spending volume, I'd probably look to highly rated players who arn't yet world class and can be brought on at United, after all the training and youth setups are legendary.

Last edited:
I really want a manager to come in who has the balls to say it how it is and pick the best team on merit. Sometimes I feel Moyes would pick Rooney even if he had one leg missing, which just isn't right. Luckily, I think Van Gaal would be that man.

Oh and I think LVG's relationship with RVP can only be a good thing because he is no doubt a better striker than Rooney when on form he's still potentially a massive player for us.

My biggest concern with LVG is his targets for the transfer market and whether they are realistic, admittedly a load of names are flying about which may or may not be true but we still need a great summer.

Fellaini was never a proper CM, he always drifted upfront, and was more useful in the hole as a False 10 of sorts. And how exactly is Cleverley not a 2 man midfielder? His confidence is just simply shattered to try to pass the ball upfront. United were mostly instructed to remain defensive under Moyes, and Cleverley just passed sideways as a result;; got criticised by fans for it, and his performances dripped way below due to the resulting lack of confidence. He's not a first team player, but he's definitely an excellent option as rotation.

Him passing the ball sideways did not start under Moyes mate. Its a trait he's always had ... Not sure if he's "an excellent option for rotation". **** Imma gonna go balls out and say it: he's not fit to wear the shirt and should be shipped out asap... David Moyes was instrumental in destroying us over a short period of time but for some time now cracks have been papered over and one of the results of this is that we the fans now accept mediocrity. And he personifies mediocrity.

Strootman is just as unlikely as Kroos. If there was a time for him to join, it would've been last year. Now that Roma are approaching Champions League football next season, it's all the more unlikely.

Strootman is just as unlikely as Kroos. If there was a time for him to join, it would've been last year. Now that Roma are approaching Champions League football next season, it's all the more unlikely.

Strootman is likely if he buys into the United project, it's quite obvious him and LVG have a good relationship.

Him passing the ball sideways did not start under Moyes mate. Its a trait he's always had ... Not sure if he's "an excellent option for rotation". **** Imma gonna go balls out and say it: he's not fit to wear the shirt and should be shipped out asap... David Moyes was instrumental in destroying us over a short period of time but for some time now cracks have been papered over and one of the results of this is that we the fans now accept mediocrity. And he personifies mediocrity.
Incorrect, its not a trait he's always had, it's something he's picked up as his confidence has been shattered.

Strootman is likely if he buys into the United project, it's quite obvious him and LVG have a good relationship.

On the other hand he is crocked, and is on love with Roma and their project, and they love him, and have no reason to sell someone who has already made himself a key name. This is how important Strootman is to them: they think he can replace De Rossi as a player (not as a person, thats impossible) in the midfield. The same reason LVG loves him is the same reason they would fight tooth and nail to keep him.

On the other hand he is crocked, and is on love with Roma and their project, and they love him, and have no reason to sell someone who has already made himself a key name. This is how important Strootman is to them: they think he can replace De Rossi as a player (not as a person, thats impossible) in the midfield. The same reason LVG loves him is the same reason they would fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Depends how much LVG wants him, I can't see Roma turning down big money and I can't see Strootman staying at Roma just for the sake of missing a season or two of CL.

I'm sure LVG wouldn't want him in the first place if he thought he had no chance, after all you'd imagine he'd have good contacts with him.

Depends how much LVG wants him, I can't see Roma turning down big money and I can't see Strootman staying at Roma just for the sake of missing a season or two of CL.

I'm sure LVG wouldn't want him in the first place if he thought he had no chance, after all you'd imagine he'd have good contacts with him.

I can. There are people they would sell first before him as well. And they got that CL money. Put it this way: Strootman, Pjanic, Benatia. Strootman is the last on the list to be sold.

Strootman is already loyal because they took a chance on him from Holland when all the big teams didnt bother, something he was quite bitter about at the time.

I can. There are people they would sell first before him as well. And they got that CL money. Put it this way: Strootman, Pjanic, Benatia. Strootman is the last on the list to be sold.

Strootman is already loyal because they took a chance on him from Holland when all the big teams didnt bother, something he was quite bitter about at the time.

But surely LVG knows better than most what Strootman would or wouldn't do? Why would he chase a player if he's so attached to Roma like you suggest? Surely he would be the one who knew that.

But surely LVG knows better than most what Strootman would or wouldn't do? Why would he chase a player if he's so attached to Roma like you suggest? Surely he would be the one who knew that.

Bit strong to say he's been 'chasing' anyone. He's not even manager yet.

He's not chasing Strootman. He is a huge fan of him, and he always has a tactically intelligent box to box CM in his teams. People have put that plus the fact we looked at him over a year ago together and got that.

So I guess Simeone went beyond 'unproven' at this point.

Hasn't won anything yet son! ;)

No, but he has a message for you.

lMUJQZQ.jpg

Back