The Manchester United Thread

He's not that good. Verratti. He's a foul machine with next to nothing physical presence. Not the faster either. He's very good at transition and bringing the ball from one end to another. IMO more aggressive ( not necessary in a good way) version of Kovacic.

I think you're underselling him. Kroos doesn't have the physical characteristics to impose himself either, complete many games back-to-back, or even win many foot races, but technically and mentally he is up there with some of the best. Not least because he is only a few years older than Verratti.

But it's why the likes of Javi Martinez are next to him, to be the physical presence that allows him to express his game with better freedom.

So if Verratti is a fouling version of Kovacic, we might as well go for Kovacic, since atleast he'd be available =P But an energetic ball-winner is exactly what we need atm (description given to Matuidi). Anyone feel Wanyama can fit that role? Or Badelj?

Ideally, we need one WC CB and Micheal Keane to get first team opportunities (assuming we're playing Jones at CB), one LB, 1 or 2 CM depending on the Fellaini situation, and a winger. Should easily be possible with 200 Million, but if we're indeed appointing van Gaal, he'll start working on that transfer list very late after WC, which is making me rather scared of an encore of last summer's transfer window..

I think you're underselling him. Kroos doesn't have the physical characteristics to impose himself either, complete many games back-to-back, or even win many foot races, but technically and mentally he is up there with some of the best. Not least because he is only a few years older than Verratti.

But it's why the likes of Javi Martinez are next to him, to be the physical presence that allows him to express his game with better freedom.
He's good young player, but nothing more. He's not world class or level below it. I wouldn't mind getting him as backup option.
Kroos actually knows how to defend. His positioning is quite good and he's a clever player. Just like Verratti, he also needs someone more mobile who can protect him.

So if Verratti is a fouling version of Kovacic, we might as well go for Kovacic, since atleast he'd be available =P But an energetic ball-winner is exactly what we need atm (description given to Matuidi). Anyone feel Wanyama can fit that role? Or Badelj?

Ideally, we need one WC CB and Micheal Keane to get first team opportunities (assuming we're playing Jones at CB), one LB, 1 or 2 CM depending on the Fellaini situation, and a winger. Should easily be possible with 200 Million, but if we're indeed appointing van Gaal, he'll start working on that transfer list very late after WC, which is making me rather scared of an encore of last summer's transfer window..

Badelj is more creative version of Carrick. He's quite slow, but has excellent close control and vision. I don't know his statistic this season and I'm to lazy to search, but if he didn't have at least 10 assists I would be amazed.

And I indeed am. Only 2 assists this season. But other than that, amazing statistic for Milan. Quite some player.

Badelj is more creative version of Carrick. He's quite slow, but has excellent close control and vision. I don't know his statistic this season and I'm to lazy to search, but if he didn't have at least 10 assists I would be amazed.

And I indeed am. Only 2 assists this season. But other than that, amazing statistic for Milan. Quite some player.
Looked at Hamburg because of your mentioning of Badelj and I can't believe that they are close to being relegated! Not to mention that their players have quite high rating on the website. If they do indeed get relegated I think we can probably sign Badelj on a bargain price.

Looked at Hamburg because of your mentioning of Badelj and I can't believe that they are close to being relegated! Not to mention that their players have quite high rating on the website. If they do indeed get relegated I think we can probably sign Badelj on a bargain price.

IF we sign him. Remember, it's Woodward in charge, and he only seems to want to look at players who have a price tag upwards of 30 Million.

Yep, and we should, we really should.

I almost forgot how amazing this man was:

"After his first training session in heaven, George Best, from the favourite right wing, turned the head of God who was filling in at left back." (2005)

George Best's death in November 2005 saw the great and good of football folklore lining up to pay tribute. Few could compare with Cantona's eulogy for his fellow United legend when he added, "I would love him to save me a place in his team, George Best that is, not God."

I told Mike at the beginning of the season that Wanyama would be a good fit, but he was against it. Can't remember his reasons why, but he would be a good fit. Especially now.

And even if we had ?200 million, it wouldn't be as easy as one suggests. Everyone knows we're out to buy players, it'll only mean that values suddenly grow by 10 or 15 more million because they want to squeeze every ounce of what they can get by playing hard ball.

Last edited:
Jess Lingard having good game for Brighton atm in play off semi, scored the opener only goal of game so far.

Would be interesting to know how many "pre assists" or 2nd assists he has managed. Usually on a glance midfielders might have quite average stats, but looking deeper might show much more about them.

I told Mike at the beginning of the season that Wanyama would be a good fit, but he was against it. Can't remember his reasons why, but he would be a good fit. Especially now.

Soton definitely won't let him go easily, though.. Even more so if we take away Shaw from them..

He's good young player, but nothing more. He's not world class or level below it. I wouldn't mind getting him as backup option.
Kroos actually knows how to defend. His positioning is quite good and he's a clever player. Just like Verratti, he also needs someone more mobile who can protect him.

Verratti can defend, he is just hot-headed. And he can become a world class player in his position for sure, just like Kovacic and Kroos.

Verratti can defend, he is just hot-headed. And he can become a world class player in his position for sure, just like Kovacic and Kroos.
He lets players run past him too often for my liking. Thus he gets so many yellows.

Would be interesting to know how many "pre assists" or 2nd assists he has managed. Usually on a glance midfielders might have quite average stats, but looking deeper might show much more about them.
No clue mate, best I could find is 0.8 key passes per game.

And even if we had ?200 million, it wouldn't be as easy as one suggests. Everyone knows we're out to buy players, it'll only mean that values suddenly grow by 10 or 15 more million because they want to squeeze every ounce of what they can get by playing hard ball.

Because he's relatively average.

If GC thinks he's good, we better pass on him.
huehuehue