The Manchester United Thread

I am not sure if new CM would need to be very mobile, its more a question of how Fellaini would be utilized. With Hull the team seemed to be changing shape when in possession and Fellaini would burst forward. He's certainly a great target to have up there for the quick counter - his chest control is literally best I've seen. So the other CM would need to be more conservative. Mainly they just need to have 'look for a forward pass first' mentality and be able to pull it off - Giggs has no legs but when he showed up, started moving the ball forward and switching the play, it finally started to look like organized football. Verratti would work great here.

But if Fellaini were to sit deeper, then its a different story.

My 0.02$

I am not sure if new CM would need to be very mobile, its more a question of how Fellaini would be utilized. With Hull the team seemed to be changing shape when in possession and Fellaini would burst forward. He's certainly a great target to have up there for the quick counter - his chest control is literally best I've seen. So the other CM would need to be more conservative. Mainly they just need to have 'look for a forward pass first' mentality and be able to pull it off - Giggs has no legs but when he showed up, started moving the ball forward and switching the play, it finally started to look like organized football. Verratti would work great here.

My 0.02$

But it also depends on whether Fellaini and the Attacking Mid/Support Striker are willing to track back. Fellaini doesn't seem too assured while defending, with all the rash tackling and nudging and shoving. So it might be up to Rooney to drop deeper, if the new manager were to continue playing him in that role. Mata/Kagawa cannot be counted upon to help out while defending.

My 0.02$

If anything it's down to Fellaini himself. Him (see: Fellaini vs. Hull City) doing anything remotely difficult offensively using his feet is a challenge for him. He doesn't have the technical ability to bring the ball within greater control of his feet, and uses more of his upper body than anything to create chances.

As for Verratti next to him, they would be an interesting double-act when confronting officials.

But it also depends on whether Fellaini and the Attacking Mid/Support Striker are willing to track back. Fellaini doesn't seem too assured while defending, with all the rash tackling and nudging and shoving. So it might be up to Rooney to drop deeper, if the new manager were to continue playing him in that role. Mata/Kagawa cannot be counted upon to help out while defending.

Well, Rooney does track back and with Mata around the CMs can afford to sit a bit deeper - give him freedom to roam and he can break down sides.

If anything it's down to Fellaini himself. Him (see: Fellaini vs. Hull City) doing anything remotely difficult offensively using his feet is a challenge for him. He doesn't have the technical ability to bring the ball within greater control of his feet, and uses more of his upper body than anything to create chances..
As for Verratti next to him, they would be an interesting double-act when confronting officials.

Well, as long as it gets goals, I don't see a difference what part of body he is using. If the team will remain being heavy on wingplay, having big guy like Fellaini trying to get on the end of crosses is great.

As for them being dirty players, I bit of grit in the midfield wouldn't hurt , especially in comparision to current season where nobody in the midfield was up for a fight.

Arjen Robben: ‘I owe Van Gaal a lot - he really helped me as a player. I was not always playing for Bayern - but still he continued to pick me for the national team.
‘That faith he showed in me helped me as a player - and then I went on to play some of the best football of my career for Bayern.

‘I was not a special case - he shows faith in all of his players - and that is one of the reasons why players want to play for him - and why they like to play for him.'
‘There is something about going into a Van Gaal dressing room and training sessions - there is a positive vibe and a warmth to the place.
‘He creates a special environment for his players - and Manchester United will be very fortunate to have him as their coach.’

Would be brilliant if we can sign him, we missed the trick when we sold Ronaldo by not asking him and Sneijder in the deal.

Would be brilliant if we can sign him, we missed the trick when we sold Ronaldo by not asking him and Sneijder in the deal.
No no and NO. We don't need Old stars, we need brilliant 20 year olds to make them into stars.

Robben's great and all, but he generally needs to be in a very good team to play at his best. If he's not, he tries to carry the entire team, and he's too predictable to do that. United aren't near that level yet, so Robben on a huge contract with him on the first steps of the final slope down might be too big of a risk considering he's likely to cost a bit.

No no and NO. We don't need Old stars, we need brilliant 20 year olds to make them into stars.

You need the balance. You don't want your team full of 20 year old players.

Robben is arguably the best winger in the world (not counting Ronaldo as he is not from this world) and is a 100X improvement on any wingers we have.

You need the balance. You don't want your team full of 20 year old players.

Robben is arguably the best winger in the world (not counting Ronaldo as he is not from this world) and is a 100X improvement on any wingers we have.

Yes, balance is required, but in this case, he may have a point.. I'd rather not have an aging winger on high wages, unless it's CR7. Robben will likely start reducing in speed in a couple of years or so? Instead of that, just go younger with wings, and more experienced with CM/CB.

lets not hype him up you know what our press is like love you 1 week the next your the love child of hitler

Yeah, I realise that;; He kinda brought it upon himself to be compared though - He gave out the statement saying he was trying to emulate Ronaldo, and working harder in the gym to beef up like him..

Yeah, I realise that;; He kinda brought it upon himself to be compared though - He gave out the statement saying he was trying to emulate Ronaldo, and working harder in the gym to beef up like him..

for love of god who let him say that the press will love that next time he has a bad game

Back