The Manchester United Thread

Not better than Courtois. The lad was colossal in Atletico Madrids run to the CL finals and the title win. It's the main reason why Mourinho is going to replace Cech with him despite the fact that Cech is 31 and was golden gloves winner last season. I honestly struggle to think of a GK who was better than Courtois last season bar Neur

I believe Courtois was also winner of the Zamora trophy which is given to the best GK in La Liga once or twice

Clean sheet records are not the stat for best GKs, it's the stat for best defense.

Valdez won Zamora trophy more than anyone in the last 6-7 years, you know why? Because Barca rarely let goals in as they always had possession. GKs can win **** all trophies like Golden glove, Zamora trophy if defense in front of you is disjointed or whole team is not good enough defensively. At least in Barca's case they rarely gave away ball which meant Valdez won the trophy more than any. He won it 5 times whereas Casillas when he was still the best GK won it only once.

Courtois was not the main reason for their run in to finals and League title, it was outfield players 150% work rate in all the matches and pure brilliance from some of their midfield players.

Courtois also made few mistakes but that rarely gets blown out of proportion in media as it happened in Spain and in CL low profile games.

He is up there with the best though but I wouldn't say he is the best or I wouldn't swap his for De Gea. Some of the saves De Gea makes, I don't see any GK improvising to make those saves.

sorry i know our lad is good buffon as 1 of the best you need your head looking at

Not better than Courtois. The lad was colossal in Atletico Madrids run to the CL finals and the title win. It's the main reason why Mourinho is going to replace Cech with him despite the fact that Cech is 31 and was golden gloves winner last season. I honestly struggle to think of a GK who was better than Courtois last season bar Neur

I believe Courtois was also winner of the Zamora trophy which is given to the best GK in La Liga once or twice

To be honest I'd say De Gea... he has improved so much since he has come to the Premier League.... from boy to a man. (Don't get me wrong he had all the great attributes a goalie needs when he came, but he wasn't physically built, wasn't dominant either). Now he is all these things and more.

The best way and only way (in my mind) to even compare these two though is to wait and see how Courtois does in the BPL because it's totally different La Liga. De Gea has benefited and improved his all round game to become a great goalkeeper in this league.

I don't think it's necessary to compare them really, because they are both quite similar and roughly about the same I'd say.

Anyone see report or article about Miranda? Apparently Atletico president has said they have a ready made replacement for Miranda this is football players leave then goes on to say UTD have agreed fee with them which is his release clause 24m euros. Which is about 18m sterling.

Clean sheet records are not the stat for best GKs, it's the stat for best defense.

Valdez won Zamora trophy more than anyone in the last 6-7 years, you know why? Because Barca rarely let goals in as they always had possession. GKs can win **** all trophies like Golden glove, Zamora trophy if defense in front of you is disjointed or whole team is not good enough defensively. At least in Barca's case they rarely gave away ball which meant Valdez won the trophy more than any. He won it 5 times whereas Casillas when he was still the best GK won it only once.

Courtois was not the main reason for their run in to finals and League title, it was outfield players 150% work rate in all the matches and pure brilliance from some of their midfield players.

Courtois also made few mistakes but that rarely gets blown out of proportion in media as it happened in Spain and in CL low profile games.

He is up there with the best though but I wouldn't say he is the best or I wouldn't swap his for De Gea. Some of the saves De Gea makes, I don't see any GK improvising to make those saves.

gotta say I agree with this (de gea/courtois comparison) de gea was colossal last season and if not for him United probably would have been lower than what they were. I watched atletico a lot last season and I do not think he is on de geas level yet. Also am I right in thinking courtois has never played a game for Chelsea?

He is going to have to adjust next season to the premiership that will be interesting to see, he may settle straight in but considering he has pretty much been an atletico player for 3 seasons I don't think this is likely you only have to look at the problems de gea faced before he settled in.

Last edited:
Anyone see report or article about Miranda? Apparently Atletico president has said they have a ready made replacement for Miranda this is football players leave then goes on to say UTD have agreed fee with them which is his release clause 24m euros. Which is about 18m sterling.

Where was this?

He is better than all bar Neur.

He really isn't. Courtois is better. Lloris also deserves to be part of discussion. Buffon is definitely still up there as well - he may not be as fast as he used to , but his organizational skills and confident presence in the box can only be compared to vintage VdS - take Buffon out and suddenly rock solid defense goes to ****.

He really isn't. Courtois is better. Lloris deserves to be part of discussion. Buffon is definitely still up there as well - he may not be as fast as he used to , but his organizational skills and confident presence in the box can only be compared to vintage VdS - take Buffon out and suddenly rock solid defense goes to ****.

Lloris made how many mistakes in consecutive games?
Buffon isn't anymore. He isn't half the GK he was at his prime.
Also I disagree about Courtois. Atletico's defense and the whole team made him look better than he is/was.

Lloris made how many mistakes in consecutive games?

Well, how many?

Buffon isn't anymore. He isn't half the GK he was at his prime.

Yup, he's not as good as he used to. But, he used to be best goalkeeper in history of human race - plenty of room to lose a bit of form and still be one of the best in the world.

Also I disagree about Courtois. Atletico's defense and the whole team made him look better than he is/was.

I disagree, I think you've got that backwards. He made the defnese made of mediocre players look better then it actually was. Chelsea is going to have brilliant goalkeeper for 10 years or more, and clubs who spend heavy cash this window to pick out Atletico's defenders, gonna have bunch of overpriced flops on their hands, quite soon.

Well, how many?

Yup, he's not as good as he used to. But, he used to be best goalkeeper in history of human race - plenty of room to lose a bit of form and still be one of the best in the world.

I disagree, I think you've got that backwards. He made the defnese made of mediocre players look better then it actually was. Chelsea is going to have brilliant goalkeeper for 10 years or more, and clubs who spend heavy cash this window to pick out Atletico's defenders, gonna have bunch of overpriced flops on their hands, quite soon.

Atletico's defence is far from mediocre... bit of a stupid thing to say.

Well, how many

You do the math as you blindly threw his name into the ring.

He used to be and now he isn't. He makes far too many mistake.

Individually I don't know how good the defenders are but as a team they are superb and that makes GK's job very easy.

He is making mediocre players look better? Lol what is he? Jesus or Simeone?

They are not even mediocre defenders... Filipe Luis is going to Chelsea... Miranda has been constantly linked with Manchester United, Juanfran and Diego Godin are two very good players as well. Nothing slightly mediocre about that.

You do the math as you blindly threw his name into the ring.

No, you blindly make a claim without any evidence, so you do the math. I am supposed to help you back up your own arguments? Sorry, doesn't work that way.

He used to be and now he isn't. He makes far too many mistake.

That's just a blanket statement that doesn't amount to anything relevant. All goalkeepers make mistakes.

He is making mediocre players look better? Lol what is he? Jesus or Simeone?

Neither, he's just that good GK.

They are not even mediocre defenders... Filipe Luis is going to Chelsea... Miranda has been constantly linked with Manchester United, Juanfran and Diego Godin are two very good players as well. Nothing slightly mediocre about that.

So? Nobody gave rats *** about them until they started playing in Atletico.

Back