The Manchester United Thread

So? Nobody gave rats *** about them until they started playing in Atletico.

So you're saying Courtois is a better goalkeeper than De Gea despite him coming from the same team before Courtois was? Your logic makes no sense.

De Gea is better because he is proven in Premier League and Liga BBVA, Courtois isn't... end of story.

So? Nobody gave rats *** about them until they started playing in Atletico.

Could say the same about almost all good players before they went to a big club or their club does something noteworthy.

So you're saying Courtois is a better goalkeeper than De Gea despite him coming from the same team before Courtois was? Your logic makes no sense.

De Gea is better because he is proven in Premier League and Liga BBVA, Courtois isn't... end of story.

Courtios not proven in LIGA?? um..... ? De Gea has more Prem experience, Courtois more International/Champs League. Its a preference thing.

Last edited:
No, you blindly make a claim without any evidence, so you do the math. I am supposed to help you back up your own arguments? Sorry, doesn't work that way.

Ok. right from the ManCity game where they conceded in first minute, I guess he made mistakes in 6 or more consecutive games. Just don't throw names for the sake of it just like you are doing for Buffon and some people did for Casillas. Atleast watch them before you make some judgement.

That's just a blanket statement that doesn't amount to anything relevant. All goalkeepers make mistakes.

That's how you judge goal keepers. Not just exceptional saves but also making less number of mistakes.

Neither, he's just that good GK.

err.. OK.

Number of times Buffon failing to clear the ball from easy save which led to goal was just amazing in the last 2-3 years. I don't remember all the incidents now but there are few that are.

Just few of his mistakes in the last year or 2.
[video=youtube;G83caOGTkJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G83caOGTkJ0[/video]
[video=youtube;xgbKQtWVz9w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbKQtWVz9w[/video]
[video=youtube;_iUbsKGBul0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iUbsKGBul0[/video]
[video=youtube;tb0jkQryQRA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb0jkQryQRA[/video]
[video=youtube;08yVYU5ZSy4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08yVYU5ZSy4[/video]

Could say the same about almost all good players before they went to a big club or their club does something noteworthy.

Could also say the same about all players who went to a big club and flopped.

I've never said anything of the sort. Master of reading, you're not.

That literally doesn't make any sense.

And this is supposed to prove what exactly? If I make a video of De Gea's mistakes over last 3 years, it will be longer then Lords of The Rings Extended Edition.

It proves Buffon is not the Buffon of past and he is not among the best goal keepers. Those mistakes are just from 2 years. These are just I could remember and there are many that I can't find video of.

That proves that most people haven't got a clue what they talk about and they just go by what they hear like saying Buffon is the best GK or Casillas is still world class and best GK.

And this is supposed to prove what exactly? If I make a video of De Gea's mistakes over last 3 years, it will be longer then Lords of The Rings Extended Edition.

No body gave rats *** about that team till Simeone took charge. Not Courtois.

Garay who was close to signing for ManUtd has moved to Zenit for just 6 Million Euro.

Ridiculous that we were linked with 18 Million move and everything was set then Moyes said NO.

6 million is a steal

My mistake, it was 15 Million. 6 Million is Benfica's part.

Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall 2m
Sorry, guys. Not my intention to trick you. I blame this on Benfica's statement. €15m is Garay's fee. Not €6m.

Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall 6m
€6m is of course Benfica's cut of Garay's transfer. They only own 40% of his rights. Real Madrid own 50%. Third-party 10%. €15m in total.

Clean sheet records are not the stat for best GKs, it's the stat for best defense.

Valdez won Zamora trophy more than anyone in the last 6-7 years, you know why? Because Barca rarely let goals in as they always had possession. GKs can win **** all trophies like Golden glove, Zamora trophy if defense in front of you is disjointed or whole team is not good enough defensively. At least in Barca's case they rarely gave away ball which meant Valdez won the trophy more than any. He won it 5 times whereas Casillas when he was still the best GK won it only once.

Courtois was not the main reason for their run in to finals and League title, it was outfield players 150% work rate in all the matches and pure brilliance from some of their midfield players.

Courtois also made few mistakes but that rarely gets blown out of proportion in media as it happened in Spain and in CL low profile games.

He is up there with the best though but I wouldn't say he is the best or I wouldn't swap his for De Gea. Some of the saves De Gea makes, I don't see any GK improvising to make those saves.

Sorry mate but you are completely underestimating the part Courtois played. He has been superb for 3 seasons now even before Atletico gained real prominence last season. I have watched him a lot of times and he has pulled of some absolutely brilliant saves. Of course a good defense makes the GK's job easier but nonetheless, Courtois was still key in all 3 campaigns that he with Atletico. Going by your logic, any GK behind Atletico's defense would match Courtois' performance which is simply not true. Their is a reason why Courtois is a cult hero among Atletico fans and why the club were so desperate to keep him for 3 seasons. He has been truly excellent

Also to be fair, it's not like De Gea had a poor defense in front of him either

Sorry mate but you are completely underestimating the part Courtois played. He has been superb for 3 seasons now even before Atletico gained real prominence last season. I have watched him a lot of times and he has pulled of some absolutely brilliant saves. Of course a good defense makes the GK's job easier but nonetheless, Courtois was still key in all 3 campaigns that he with Atletico. Going by your logic, any GK behind Atletico's defense would match Courtois' performance which is simply not true. Their is a reason why Courtois is a cult hero among Atletico fans and why the club were so desperate to keep him for 3 seasons. He has been truly excellent

Also to be fair, it's not like De Gea had a poor defense in front of him either

De Gea had a disjointed defense infront him organized by manager who lost his way.

Anyways lets agree to disagree. Each to their own and who they have in their team.

He played under Ferguson too

And won PL title and was on the PFA team of the year.

I will put it even simpler, from the day De Gea signed for ManUtd, he never had a settled defense infront of him because of injuries to all our CBs and RB. Only player who played consistently was Evra. Rio, Vidic, Evans, Smalling, Jones all had injury problems in the last 3 years.

In the season we won the title, Vidic missed first half of the season and couldn't play 3 times in a week. Rio was managed very carefully where he was picked for right games.

Back