The Manchester United Thread

Never said it wasn't mate but you also have to realise that for the two players they have just signed, they barely had any competition. If some of the big CL clubs like Chelsea, City, Madrid or Barcelona start competing with them for players then obviously CL will become a factor. Again how big of a factor it will be depends .... But nobody can claim it won't be one

I think Man U will be clever and sneeky enough, luckily for them, City are under FFP, and most of those big boys have most of what they need, ie, Barca/Real etc are only looking to pick up one or 2 players, not a galatico overhaul... :)

20-24 base would have been better but I can hardly complain when it's not the club I support. Bit of a gamble but one that's fairly safe, his wages like you said though could be the big thing. If he's on a pretty large amount now it's not ideal.

I am positively sure he is on a sizeable wage packet but then again he could be worth it ... Just have to wait and see

I think Man U will be clever and sneeky enough, luckily for them, City are under FFP, and most of those big boys have most of what they need, ie, Barca/Real etc are only looking to pick up one or 2 players, not a galatico overhaul... :)

They haven't exactly gone after high-value targets though have they? The likes of Kroos, Vidal, Pogba or Fabregas. I wouldn't consider Shaw a high-value target because he is nowhere near the level of the afromentioned players although he has the potential to be. I would struggle to see too much conflict between them and United judging by how things are looking ...

They haven't exactly gone after high-value targets though have they? The likes of Kroos, Vidal, Pogba or Fabregas. I wouldn't consider Shaw a high-value target because he is nowhere near the level of the afromentioned players although he has the potential to be. I would struggle to see too much conflict between them and United judging by how things are looking ...

United already had Kroos if they wanted him under Moyes, honestly that was pretty much done until LVG came in.

LVG didn't want him though because he didn't fit his system.

United already had Kroos if they wanted him under Moyes, honestly that was done until LVG came in.

LVG didn't want him though because he didn't fit his system.

Ehhhh?? Got a source for that? If Kroos was so readily available, everyone and their uncle would be fighting for him. Even if what you say is true, I find it hard to believe any club in the world would reject a player of Kroos' quality

Ehhhh?? Got a source for that? If Kroos was so readily available, everyone and their uncle would be fighting for him. Even if what you say is true, I find it hard to believe any club in the world would reject a player of Kroos' quality

Former Manchester United boss David Moyes has confirmed he wanted to sign Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos this summer.
Moyes believes that Kroos would almost certainly be a United player next season if he was still in charge.
He wrote in The Sunday Timesd: "It is no secret that I had put a lot of groundwork into signing [Kroos] for Manchester United.
"What I like about Kroos is that he plays the ball to penetrate, he doesn't do passing for passing's sake."

Lot of credit has to be given to Moyes for this transfer, he is the one who laid the groundwork for it. He will never be forgotten

Former Manchester United boss David Moyes has confirmed he wanted to sign Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos this summer.
Moyes believes that Kroos would almost certainly be a United player next season if he was still in charge.
He wrote in The Sunday Timesd: "It is no secret that I had put a lot of groundwork into signing [Kroos] for Manchester United.
"What I like about Kroos is that he plays the ball to penetrate, he doesn't do passing for passing's sake."

Putting a lot of groundwork into signing Kroos does not mean he would definitely have been a United player. If you didn't notice, Moyes was chasing after a million other players as well such as Vidal, Pogba and Shaw. Laying the groundwork as you speak

Putting a lot of groundwork into signing Kroos does not mean he would definitely have been a United player. If you didn't notice, Moyes was chasing after a million other players as well such as Vidal, Pogba and Shaw. Laying the groundwork as you speak

Pretty sure Kroos was a near certainty under Moyes, he put a lot of work in and was spotted with his agent on more than one occasion.

We'll agree to disagree.

Pretty sure Kroos was a near certainty under Moyes, he put a lot of work in and was spotted with his agent on more than one occasion.

We'll agree to disagree.

Moyes was spotted with Pogba and Vidal's agent as well. Put a lot of groundwork into signing them as well. Attended matches and everything. Were they near certainties as well?

Signing Shaw is one thing. Signing a player the calibre of Kroos is completely another. Saying that you had him all signed up but then rejected him is even more stupid

Not saying that you can't have signed Kroos but it would likely be a transfer saga that will play out the whole summer. Literally every club in he world will be after him if he decides to leave

Good to see Januzaj being given a chance tonight for Belguim, great experience for him.

Moyes was spotted with Pogba and Vidal's agent as well. Put a lot of groundwork into signing them as well. Attended matches and everything. Were they near certainties as well?

Signing Shaw is one thing. Signing a player the calibre of Kroos is completely another. Saying that you had him all signed up but then rejected him is even more stupid

How is it? A new manager came in.. what do you expect us to do... sign Kroos even if the new manager doesn't want him?

Has Januzaj not played for Belgium yet. I thought he was capped already?

Understandably the large fees for two players who are not nearly worth as much as they are being paid for can be unnerving. And ultimately they will receive backlash for when they do, invariably, under-perform in one or two matches - or even more. But in the grand scheme of it all, it is what must be done.

Quite clearly the more desirable targets are either uninterested or too unrealistic, e.g. £50m+ for Pogba. Those that we can go for will push boundaries than before, but: a) we can meet said boundaries, and b) it's better than coming out empty-handed and going another season without depth in areas that we need to get back to where we are.

We're still a good team worthy of title contention, not one in need of huge overhaul, as some murmurings have tried to claim in months past.

(This is just to reply to some general comments/minority consensus I've seen on the thread, not at anyone specifically)

How is it? A new manager came in.. what do you expect us to do... sign Kroos even if the new manager doesn't want him?

No, just saying that your story sounds very unreliable. Firstly you have no proper source. Secondly you claim that United beat literally every major club in the world to the signing of Kroos and somehow did it before the transfer window even began. Your justification for this was the Moyes was seen with Kroos agent despite the fact that managers are seen with agents all the time and it hardly ever means much. Then you go on to claim that after all this hard work, you rejected one of the best if not the best young player in the world because a manager didn't want him despite the fact that 99% of managers would love to have a player of Kroos talent in their team

Understandably the large fees for two players who are not nearly worth as much as they are being paid for can be unnerving. And ultimately they will receive backlash for when they do, invariably, under-perform in one or two matches - or even more. But in the grand scheme of it all, it is what must be done.

Quite clearly the more desirable targets are either uninterested or too unrealistic, e.g. £50m+ for Pogba. Those that we can go for will push boundaries than before, but: a) we can meet said boundaries, and b) it's better than coming out empty-handed and going another season without depth in areas that we need to get back to where we are.

We're still a good team worthy of title contention, not one in need of huge overhaul, as some murmurings have tried to claim in months past.

(This is just to reply to some general comments/minority consensus I've seen on the thread, not at anyone specifically)

Who's more desirable than Shaw? He's potentially one of the best LB's.

Understandably the large fees for two players who are not nearly worth as much as they are being paid for are unnerving. But in the grand scheme of it all, it is what must be done.

Quite clearly the more desirable targets are either uninterested or too unrealistic. Those that we can go for will push boundaries than before, but: a) we can meet said boundaries, and b) it's better than acquiring nothing and going another season without depth in areas that we need to get back to where we are.

Agree with this completely. I personally think United will be very strong next season. EPL as usual the most exciting league in the world

Agree with this completely. I personally think United will be very strong next season. EPL as usual the most exciting league in the world
well if your mob can get a st that can score god help the rest of us

Back