The Manchester United Thread

Tbf, by butthurt, I'm pretty sure they are referring to ALcaraz (shouldnt really be saying Chelsea fans as a whole). Who has been revising his stance on what United could do in the market for months now.

Chelsea had a standing interest until a month agao when Saints said they would only take £30m for him, and Shaw said he preferred a move to United.

In end he's gone for £27m rising to £29m

How have I been revising my stance?! Stop just throwing stuff out there without elaborating Mr Know-It-All ... I always said CL would be a factor in any players move. How big of a factor depends on the player and other factors. Please tell me how I am wrong before you start accessing me of being butthurt and god knows what else

How is it ridiculous? wkdsouls point is that by logic he should have signed for chelsea, he didnt.

Ramsey United fan, gone to Arsenal.

It is ridiculous because their is a massive difference in West Ham and Arsenal. But that's besides the point because, like it or not, 'love for a club' surely factors into any players decision making calculus when he looks for a move. How big a factor depends on be player itself. In the case of Shaw, obviously other factors ($$$$) weighed more heavily than his 'love for Chelsea'. Thats completely fine! No problem at all. Don't really get what you are trying to prove by showing me all these other players who supported WHU but played for Arsenal

How have I been revising my stance?! Stop just throwing stuff out there without elaborating Mr Know-It-All ... I always said CL would be a factor in any players move. How big of a factor depends on the player and other factors. Please tell me how I am wrong before you start accessing me of being butthurt and god knows what else

I'd be here all day if I were to start from the beginning, but I genuinely have better things to do. It started with Mata and has carried on ever since. If you really want to know I suggest you read your posts from august onwards.

Being a Chelsea fan or not is irrelevant in this case though as we didn't even make a move for him. He's not exactly going to reject a massive move to United when they desperately want him.

And on the butthurt thing, the general reaction I'm seeing is an acceptance that United were willing to cough up the money for him so fair play. Strangely, opposing fans are the ones who keep bringing up Chelsea here.

Thank you mate. Exactly what I have been saying all along. It's just that some United fans don't want to admit that they beat out the competition because they were ready to offer much more than Chelsea did financially. I really don't see anything wrong with it either

It is ridiculous because their is a massive difference in West Ham and Arsenal. But that's besides the point because, like it or not, 'love for a club' surely factors into any players decision making calculus when he looks for a move. How big a factor depends on be player itself. In the case of Shaw, obviously other factors ($$$$) weighed more heavily than his 'love for Chelsea'. Thats completely fine! No problem at all. Don't really get what you are trying to prove by showing me all these other players who supported WHU but played for Arsenal

I wasnt even talking to you in the first place. No idea why you strolled in and missed half the point. And hwo do you know it was money that played a major factor? Why are you even on this thread other than to troll?

Here's a hint: Shaw preferred a move to United before the club made an offer. How could money be a deciding factor then?

It's posts like that that show you up

Last edited:
Thank you mate. Exactly what I have been saying all along. It's just that some United fans don't want to admit that they beat out the competition because they were ready to offer much more than Chelsea did financially. I really don't see anything wrong with it either

Load of ****, that's not what you have been saying all along either.

I'd be here all day if I were to start from the beginning, but I genuinely have better things to do. It started with Mata and has carried on ever since. If you really want to know I suggest you read your posts from august onwards.

I said Chelsea would be crazy to sell Mata and have no incentive to do so. I never once said that Mata would reject the move because lack of CL. My entire logic behind not believing the transfer was happening was because I thought Chelsea would be idiots to sell. I was obviously wrong. Now people have misconstrued my stance as saying that United will never get anyone without CL. Never said that. Always said it would be a factor, something which you agree with judging by how you conveniently ignored it

I said Chelsea would be crazy to sell Mata and have no incentive to do so. I never once said that Mata would reject the move because lack of CL. My entire logic behind not believing the transfer was happening was because I thought Chelsea would be idiots to sell. I was obviously wrong. Now people have misconstrued my stance as saying that United will never get anyone without CL. Never said that. Always said it would be a factor, something which you agree with judging by how you conveniently ignored it

Actually what you did was hugely overplay the factor. Carl was actually consistently bang on ( and I will bet he will love to see me write that) about much of a factor it would be after one year. It's actually hardly an issue after one season. That's kind of the point

Actually what you did was hugely overplay the factor. Carl was actually consistently bang on ( and I will bet he will love to see me write that) about much of a factor it would be after one year. It's actually hardly an issue after one season. That's kind of the point

If that's the impression I gave you then I genuinely apologise. I honestly don't believe it would be that big a factor but it will be a factor nonetheless. Sometimes in case of players (eg. hazard) it could even be a decisive one judging by how he wasn't ready to even consider Chelsea till we won the CL no matter how much money we offered

As I said, how big a factor depends on the player and other things so it's unfair of us to just say that it doesn't matter at all

In less boring news:

Juve still sniffing around Evra, willing to offer a two year contract. United in no mood to sell.

If that's the impression I gave you then I genuinely apologise. I honestly don't believe it would be that big a factor but it will be a factor nonetheless. Sometimes in case of players (eg. hazard) it could even be a decisive one judging by how he wasn't ready to even consider Chelsea till we won the CL no matter how much money we offered

As I said, how big a factor depends on the player and other things so it's unfair of us to just say that it doesn't matter at all

Everyone agrees there is some factor, but for a year, for a club like United, not much. Herrera just left CL to join United. Shaw could be playing CL if he wanted to push for a Chelsea move. A second year? Different story. Hazard is the kind of player who will end up at Madrid, for him he has to showcase in the CL. Nothing else matters, not even the league. I'll be amazed if he ends his career in England, and impressed with Chelsea. to keep him they need a superstar side, which it looks like they are making.

Last edited:
In less boring news:

Juve still sniffing around Evra, willing to offer a two year contract. United in no mood to sell.

We don't have a replacement for Evra, and he will be very useful to have around to guide Shaw in his first year here. Although, if Juve are willing to give us Vidal for Evra + cash, then it would probably warrant a rethink. But even then, we have no backup for LB, since Buttner also has been sold..

Hazard is the kind of player who will end up at Madrid, for him he has to showcase in the CL. Nothing else matters, not even the league. I'll be amazed if he ends his career in England.

Yep I would be surprised too. As I said, how much the CL weighs in a players decision-making calculus depends on the player. Although you can argue that Hazard really is a anomaly rather than the trend

How is it ridiculous? wkdsouls point is that by logic he should have signed for chelsea, he didnt.

Ramsey United fan, gone to Arsenal.

My point ws more at the generic soundbites we get rather than the player/club, nothing against any of them, just these generic, love the club, only one option for me lines.. so boring.

If you a supporter of a club as a kid, you dream of scoring the winner for that club, regardless of if/when you get a the chance few years, become a 'player' in the making then you think bigger clubs, better facilites, better progress etc.. the ONLY one club ive ever dreamed of line, when you support another club always gets me. its just so bollox. To be fair to Shaw least he put in the context of as a 'player' ive only one club on the brain etc....

I honestly don't know why we can't just go for one of the Bender's in Germany, as good as Vidal is, he'll cost a bomb and he's 27.

My point ws more at the generic soundbites we get rather than the player/club, nothing against any of them, just these generic, love the club, only one option for me lines.. so boring.

If you a supporter of a club as a kid, you dream of scoring the winner for that club, regardless of if/when you get a the chance few years, become a 'player' in the making then you think bigger clubs, better facilites, better progress etc.. the ONLY one club ive ever dreamed of line, when you support another club always gets me. its just so bollox. To be fair to Shaw least he put in the context of as a 'player' ive only one club on the brain etc....
Reality works quite different to dreams though

I honestly don't know why we can't just go for one of the Bender's in Germany, as good as Vidal is, he'll cost a bomb and he's 27.
Think 1 has just signed new contract the one at Bayern Lev and Sven Bender was poor last season compared to previous and was injured a lot aswell. Saying on Talksport UTD have agreed personel terms with vermaelen clubs need to agree on fee Gunners want around 10m. Not sure if true, but rumour not going away!

Both would cost a bomb and they are mostly about breaking up play and short sharp passing. Vidal is the best example of a box to box mid there is

Back