The Manchester United Thread

Carrick is excellent at picking out a pass (or atleast he used to be). It's a shame he didn't play more for England, they could've really used him. Cleverley definitely should stay for another season. He's content atm with a squad role, and is an academy import. Plus, I honestly don't believe he's as **** as last season made him out to be. He may never be world class, but I believe he can still do the job for us. Anderson should go, he was a Number 10, who never completely became a CM, and ended up being average. Can do better than him atm.

Actually, Ronaldo wasn't exactly a nobody before he came to us. Fergie himself said in his autobiography that Madrid were already sniffing around him. Carvalho, on the other hand, is just fresh off his first breakaway season (where he's experienced excellent success, no doubt). But the price is pretty high for him (Release Clause), and as such, it is visible as to why people are reserved about him (Especially since our last Portugese import Bebe turned out to be a flop.

I didn't mention anything about before he came to us (although he was still rather unknown lets face it), but my point is.... everyone is a nobody before they become a somebody.

LVG needs someone like him for his system, it's something we just don't have right now. It's a gamble of course, but realistically he's going to be something good, virtually everyone connected with Portugal rates him.

Who are the other alternatives? Benders break up play, mentioned them before, Khedira... could he do it? Possibly but he's not the same player after that ligament injury it seems. Vidal..... be prepared to empty the bank.

4-3-3 with Carvalho, Fellaini and Herrera would be a great option to have vs the big teams. The only issue with that is you having to fit somewhere to fit in Rooney and Mata...

Yeah, 4-3-3 wouldn't suit us that much, considering there is Rooney, Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj fighting for the main Attacking Midfield spots. Something narrow seems more likely, using Januzaj/Kagawa, Mata, Rooney directly behind van Persie, while using Shaw/Evra + Rafael for width and crosses.

Kagawa should be used as a tool to bring either Hummels or Reus the other way, we have too many no. 10's which I rate above him, Rooney, Mata, even Januzaj... then you have Herrera who can also fill there.

I didn't mention anything about before he came to us (although he was still rather unknown lets face it), but my point is.... everyone is a nobody before they become a somebody.

LVG needs someone like him for his system, it's something we just don't have right now. It's a gamble of course, but realistically he's going to be something good, virtually everyone connected with Portugal rates him.

Who are the other alternatives? Benders break up play, mentioned them before, Khedira... could he do it? Possibly but he's not the same player after that ligament injury it seems. Vidal..... be prepared to empty the bank.

I dunno. Herrera is still pretty good at breaking up attacks, likes putting in the tackle. Put him as a ball-winner in the midfield, and go for Vidal for Box-to-Box, or put faith in Fellaini for the role atm, and go for Strootman in January..;;

One thing that's putting me off slightly about the Carvalho deal is the cost - that is a LOT to spend on a young player, as yet unproven in the Premier League. There have been talk about Nigel de Jong for that role, but considering he was a City player, I dunno how the reaction of fans to him will be.

Yeah, 4-3-3 wouldn't suit us that much, considering there is Rooney, Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj fighting for the main Attacking Midfield spots. Something narrow seems more likely, using Januzaj/Kagawa, Mata, Rooney directly behind van Persie, while using Shaw/Evra + Rafael for width and crosses.

Even then, you're still looking at 2 of Rooney, Mata, Kagawa and Januzaj being on the bech, just like with a 4-3-3.

Kagawa should be used as a tool to bring either Hummels or Reus the other way, we have too many no. 10's which I rate above him, Rooney, Mata, even Januzaj... then you have Herrera who can also fill there.

Need Hummels way more than Reus. I've always wanted to see Hummels in a United shirt (Heck, he's been in everyone of my FiFA teams since 2011 I think - since it isn't possible for me in FM) But I don't think Dortmund will be eager to let go of him, especially since they have Mkhitaryan in Kagawa's role.

Even then, you're still looking at 2 of Rooney, Mata, Kagawa and Januzaj being on the bech, just like with a 4-3-3.

Januzaj will still be rotational at best this year. Not doubting his ability at all, but I believe they'll use him more sparingly, so as to ensure he won't get burnt out. He's still very young. If none of our #10s are sold, a narrow formation would be the best to accomodate most of them, since our wingers atm seem to be inconsistent, or just plain bad.

I dunno. Herrera is still pretty good at breaking up attacks, likes putting in the tackle. Put him as a ball-winner in the midfield, and go for Vidal for Box-to-Box, or put faith in Fellaini for the role atm, and go for Strootman in January..;;

One thing that's putting me off slightly about the Carvalho deal is the cost - that is a LOT to spend on a young player, as yet unproven in the Premier League. There have been talk about Nigel de Jong for that role, but considering he was a City player, I dunno how the reaction of fans to him will be.

AC Milan have dismissed De Jong stories... so it was probably pure speculation as we've been linked with 95% of Holland team.

He's unproven in Premier League... of course. But you have to take the gamble sometimes... I can only point to Ronaldo yet again.

Carvalho has everything to be a great player, this is an opportunity that can't be missed. Vidal would be over 40m and he's 27.... a lot of money, apparently he has quite a big ego as well (which surprised me as he always seemed down to earth).

AC Milan have dismissed De Jong stories... so it was probably pure speculation as we've been linked with 95% of Holland team.

He's unproven in Premier League... of course. But you have to take the gamble sometimes... I can only point to Ronaldo yet again.

Carvalho has everything to be a great player, this is an opportunity that can't be missed. Vidal would be over 40m and he's 27.... a lot of money, apparently he has quite a big ego as well (which surprised me as he always seemed down to earth).

Depends... Can do two things I guess.. Get a cheaper DM (Blind, de Jong I dunno), and splurge to get Hummels, if possible. Or spend bundle on Carvalho, and then maybe get de Vrij for CB.

Depends... Can do two things I guess.. Get a cheaper DM (Blind, de Jong I dunno), and splurge to get Hummels, if possible. Or spend bundle on Carvalho, and then maybe get de Vrij for CB.

Even if we pay the buyout clause which is around 30m I think, we'd still have enough to get more players like Hummels, if wanted to do so.

So what if he is 27? Herrera is the only quality midfielder we have in his prime. Vidal has at least 5 years left in him. 30 for Carvalho or 40 for Vidal? I choose the best mid in the world every time.

As for egos? we've always had players with egos

So what if he is 27? Herrera is the only quality midfielder we have in his prime. Vidal has at least 5 years left in him. 30 for Carvalho or 40 for Vidal? I choose the best mid in the world every time.

As for egos? we've always had players with egos

How do you know how good Carvalho is going to be? He could be as good if not better than Vidal in the future. He's only 22 and is going to be 10m (at the very very least, probably more like 15-20m as Juventus will demand more than 40 for Vidal pretty sure) cheaper, I'd honestly take him over Vidal. I know 27 isn't that old but realistically we should be looking for players at that price who have a lot of years ahead of them. I'd argue Vidal will have 4 seasons at his very best, if we're lucky.

Also lets be realistic, Vidal is a dream... Carvalho is actually fairly realistic as he has a RC anyway.

Last edited:
How do you know how good Carvalho is going to be? He could be as good if not better than Vidal in the future. He's only 22 and is going to be 10m (at the very very least, probably more like 15-20m as Juventus will demand more than 40 for Vidal pretty sure) cheaper, I'd honestly take him over Vidal. I know 27 isn't that old but realistically we should be looking for players at that price who have a lot of years ahead of them. I'd argue Vidal will have 4 seasons at his very best, if we're lucky.

Also lets be realistic, Vidal is a dream... Carvalho is actually fairly realistic as he has a RC anyway.
Sorry mate but I have to disagree, if there is sniff of getting Vidal which there must be because of links to other clubs and we have already been in discussions with Juve i would choose him any day of the week! He is proven and currently the best CM in world football Carvalho is no where near his ability and may never be tbh we don't know how he will develop! Vidal is 27 and could play for at least another 5-6 yrs at the top he is a fitness freak, just look at his performances for Chile after only just coming back from back surgery. A lot of people never thought he was ever gonna make it. There will always be another up and coming CM prospect coming along we need proven quality to get us back in top 4, to many seasons out it will cost us finance wise and will be harder to sign top quality players.

Carvalho is largely a destroyer plus. he would have to completely change to be anything like Vidal.

We dont need yet more youth, the problem is the 25-28 zone

Carvalho is largely a destroyer plus. he would have to completely change to be anything like Vidal.

We dont need yet more youth, the problem is the 25-28 zone

A destroyer is what we need more than anything though? Herrera is very dynamic/energetic and operates more like a box to box rather than someone who just stays in his position and sprays passes anyway.

A destroyer is what we need more than anything though? Herrera is very dynamic/energetic and operates more like a box to box rather than someone who just stays in his position and sprays passes anyway.

A holder is needed after Carrick. Preferably mobile.

I like Carvalho, but the only way I pick him over Vidal (assuming either happens) is if Strootman turns up.

A holder is needed after Carrick. Preferably mobile.

I like Carvalho, but the only way I pick him over Vidal (assuming either happens) is if Strootman turns up.

Just out of interest, would you take Sami Khedira? I know his ligament injury recently has apparently "effected him" somewhat, but surely he's still a good player for the price being reported.

Think people are judging him too early after him coming back from injury, I honestly didn't think he was bad, he's not one of them players that stands out anyway.

Back