The Manchester United Thread

LVG seems the perfect manager for utd after that holland victory snatching a late win even after not performing at their best :p

Tbf, how average is that Dutch team... Dirk ******* Kuyt as a wing-back haha

Who would you guys prefer out of Bruno Martins-Indi or Stefan De Vrij? Quite tough as they both look like good players who can be really good in the future, but I'd say De Vrij.

Would be well happy with our midfield if we get him just need to get that centre back to command at the back then.

From what I can make of the Carvalho deal from Portugal, England and a bit of my own knowledge;

As I said the other day, Manchester United are favs for Carvalho due to their links with Sporting Lisbon and past transfers. Carvalho is due for talks over his future next week. Sporting plan on offering him a new contract with a €60M release clause. Prior to World Cup, Carvalho was more than happy to stay at Sporting. They've got CL and he's first choice. He knows that's crucial. However with Jardim leaving for Monaco and United's strong interest it seems his head has been turned slightly. Jardim will be straight in with an offer should it become clear he wants to leave. We will have to fight off Monaco. Think they can. Whether they're willing to pay Sporting's asking price is a different matter. They want to negotiate down, Sporting don't want to. £30M and Carvalho will be theirs. Man United want to pay around £25M. Could possibly put some add-ons into deal to raise it closer to £30M. The deal is very possible this summer, but my gut feeling tells me he goes to Monaco or stays put for a year. Long way to go though.

Is he really worth it though, Carvalho? For how long has he been playing well enough to attract attention? Seems a trend these days, after one year, nobodies become somebodies. The way I see it, we're covered in the deep area. Carrick/Fletch/Fellaini. Mike's a good player, he's good for it when you need him. Fletcher is a good option too. The hype with Fellaini is just BS. He has always played well in a deep role and I think deserves a chance under Louie. We brought in the attacking option in Herrera, now we go for one more and Cleverly and Anderson can be moved on, or stay as rotating options.

I don't think anyone really knows what Fletcher is capable off , including Fletcher himself. Might not even get back to professional football properly, would be hardly surprising after the break he had.

From what I can make of the Carvalho deal from Portugal, England and a bit of my own knowledge;

As I said the other day, Manchester United are favs for Carvalho due to their links with Sporting Lisbon and past transfers. Carvalho is due for talks over his future next week. Sporting plan on offering him a new contract with a €60M release clause. Prior to World Cup, Carvalho was more than happy to stay at Sporting. They've got CL and he's first choice. He knows that's crucial. However with Jardim leaving for Monaco and United's strong interest it seems his head has been turned slightly. Jardim will be straight in with an offer should it become clear he wants to leave. We will have to fight off Monaco. Think they can. Whether they're willing to pay Sporting's asking price is a different matter. They want to negotiate down, Sporting don't want to. £30M and Carvalho will be theirs. Man United want to pay around £25M. Could possibly put some add-ons into deal to raise it closer to £30M. The deal is very possible this summer, but my gut feeling tells me he goes to Monaco or stays put for a year. Long way to go though.

If we're seriously battling over 5m to get one of the best upcoming players in the world... we should pay it... in some form... future bonuses.... anything.

This guy is class in the making and something we DESPERATELY need in our midfield and it would redeem the Pogba issue somewhat.

Is he really worth it though, Carvalho? For how long has he been playing well enough to attract attention? Seems a trend these days, after one year, nobodies become somebodies. The way I see it, we're covered in the deep area. Carrick/Fletch/Fellaini. Mike's a good player, he's good for it when you need him. Fletcher is a good option too.

Carvalho is far better than all 3 of those players.More importantly, the only one of that list who is actually suited to playing the holding role is Fletcher, who may never return to full fitness.

hype with Fellaini is just BS. He has always played well in a deep role and I think deserves a chance under Louie.
Since the day he arrived at Everton, Fellaini has been a far better player when he was allowed to play further forward with a little bit more freedom.

Was Fletcher ever a holding mid for more than couple games per season?

Is he really worth it though, Carvalho? For how long has he been playing well enough to attract attention? Seems a trend these days, after one year, nobodies become somebodies. The way I see it, we're covered in the deep area. Carrick/Fletch/Fellaini. Mike's a good player, he's good for it when you need him. Fletcher is a good option too. The hype with Fellaini is just BS. He has always played well in a deep role and I think deserves a chance under Louie. We brought in the attacking option in Herrera, now we go for one more and Cleverly and Anderson can be moved on, or stay as rotating options.

I think Fellaini is left positionally wanting at a deeper role, he just can't do it well enough, at the level we need him.

Fletcher won't ever be the same player again, he's a liability somewhat so can't rely on him, Anderson is fat so should be gone, Cleverley perhaps deserves one last season under LVG (but he's been so bad not sure he deserves it) and then we have Carrick who isn't someone who breaks up play. not his natural game anyway.

So we badly need someone like Carvalho, Ronaldo was a nobody before he came a somebody so I don't quiet get that logic. The ability and potential is there, as well as a monstrous physique, which will add a bit of much needed 'muscle' (so to speak) to our midfield as well.

Since the day he arrived at Everton, Fellaini has been a far better player when he was allowed to play further forward with a little bit more freedom.

Essentially that. He moves around a lot anyhow, and his height gives a different dimension too. Playing a holding deep role requires a kind of positional disciple, which I'm not too sure Fellaini has. He's excellent in the Number 10 role, I think, and if he can be converted, as a Box-to-Box, due to his moving around everywhere. I believe it was playing behind the striker that he scored a goal for Belgium too?

I think Fellaini is left positionally wanting at a deeper role, he just can't do it well enough, at the level we need him.

Fletcher won't ever be the same player again, he's a liability somewhat so can't rely on him, Anderson is fat so should be gone, Cleverley perhaps deserves one last season under LVG (but he's been so bad not sure he deserves it) and then we have Carrick who isn't someone who breaks up play. not his natural game anyway.

So we badly need someone like Carvalho, Ronaldo was a nobody before he came a somebody so I don't quiet get that logic. The ability and potential is there, as well as a monstrous physique, which will add a bit of much needed 'muscle' (so to speak) to our midfield as well.

Carrick is excellent at picking out a pass (or atleast he used to be). It's a shame he didn't play more for England, they could've really used him. Cleverley definitely should stay for another season. He's content atm with a squad role, and is an academy import. Plus, I honestly don't believe he's as **** as last season made him out to be. He may never be world class, but I believe he can still do the job for us. Anderson should go, he was a Number 10, who never completely became a CM, and ended up being average. Can do better than him atm.

Actually, Ronaldo wasn't exactly a nobody before he came to us. Fergie himself said in his autobiography that Madrid were already sniffing around him. Carvalho, on the other hand, is just fresh off his first breakaway season (where he's experienced excellent success, no doubt). But the price is pretty high for him (Release Clause), and as such, it is visible as to why people are reserved about him (Especially since our last Portugese import Bebe turned out to be a flop.

Essentially that. He moves around a lot anyhow, and his height gives a different dimension too. Playing a holding deep role requires a kind of positional disciple, which I'm not too sure Fellaini has. He's excellent in the Number 10 role, I think, and if he can be converted, as a Box-to-Box, due to his moving around everywhere. I believe it was playing behind the striker that he scored a goal for Belgium too?

4-3-3 with Carvalho, Fellaini and Herrera would be a great option to have vs the big teams. The only issue with that is you having to fit somewhere to fit in Rooney and Mata...

Back